Part II- January 2020 Obs and Discussion

snow_wizard

Some impressive showers moving in off the coast. Squall line!!

Some of this might have enough oomph to finally break through the wall of dry here.  I've got lots of evap cooling potential.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Up to 37 in North Bend now... doubt there is any melting though with a dewpoint in the 20s. But it does help with roads... many are still snow covered and icy in the valley despite being plowed several times.

34/25 here now with a light snow flurry after being around 30 pretty much all day. Picked up exactly 2 inches in about 90 minutes this afternoon.

The low dew points are so nice after a snowfall. Really don't hear any melting at all yet and it would be getting messy if the dew points were in the mid 30's too.

• Like 1

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

For anyone curious about Fraser outflow events, it's literally this for like a week straight. And cold.

Seems like a Gorge windstorm. Similar scenario I guess.

• Like 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

41F with steady rain.  Got up to 52F so we will be a couple degrees above average again.  Had a 2 day reprieve at least.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

I think he's a snow magnet. Wherever he moves they get clobbered. I have looked at weather records for areas near where he lives and they aren't nearly as snowy as what he gets. We've all seen his pictures though.

It’s all about the location. Even one/two miles makes a huge difference around here. If anyone is ever thinking of moving up here please consult with me first since I know the area between Marysville and Mt Vernon extremely well and can guide you to a snowy place!
  • Like 3

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

For anyone curious about Fraser outflow events, it's literally this for like a week straight. And cold.

Sounds kind of awful really. It would be cool to experience a day of that, but I'd hate to have all my snow blowing away in those bitter windchills. 

When I was at WWU I was always amazed how often the trees would still be flocked there, while anywhere North or West of Downtown everything had basically blown away in the outflow winds.

• Like 2

Sounds kind of awful really. It would be cool to experience a day of that, but I'd hate to have all my snow blowing away in those bitter windchills.

When I was at WWU I was always amazed how often the trees would still be flocked there, while anywhere North or West of Downtown everything had basically blown away in the outflow winds.

Yeah... that looks truly miserable. Western WA has places that can mimic North Dakota at times... got it. Glad its usually isolated up there. I don't like North Dakota. :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

For anyone curious about Fraser outflow events, it's literally this for like a week straight. And cold.<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZP_xTdPx5f0"frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Holy crap!  Looks like North Dakota.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Yeah... that looks truly miserable. Western WA has places that can mimic North Dakota at times... got it. Glad its usually isolated up there. I don't like North Dakota. :)

It kind of boggles the mind how many microclimates Western WA has.  They are all capable of way different things.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

It’s all about the location. Even one/two miles makes a huge difference around here. If anyone is ever thinking of moving up here please consult with me first since I know the area between Marysville and Mt Vernon extremely well and can guide you to a snowy place!

The same is true with my area.  Crazy what a difference just 2 miles can make.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Yep, today was a great example for here, went for a drive and less than a mile west there was half the snow totals and a mile east from our house it was equal, maybe a touch more. There is about a 75 to 100 foot drop in elevation west from here and a bit further from the Chehalis River that keeps colder air in play.

That does seem like a really rough area for snowfall. Takes a special pattern with a strong low /anafront to our South (like early February 2014) to really nail you.

How much did you get last February?

I had 12" total in Feb last year.  We did really well on the 2nd snow.  We also did really well in Nov 2010.  The good thing is we usually do the best going into cold waves.  Looking at past records there are some winters this area outperforms the normal good spots.  Just hasn't happened for a while.  4 winters in the 1920s were incredible here.  1979-80, 1984-84, 1985-86 are more recent examples.  Just has to be the right patterns.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

has that line of showers hit you yet

No, its progressing north more quickly than progressing east. Only thing I would get is heavy rain, could help you out though if it moves inland.

In case any is wondering I live somewhere in the blue circle. Should help knowing that when I am posting conditions versus radar.

Screenshot_20200115-191203_Chrome.jpg

I have spent 15 years watching WSDOT cams during snow events in the Seattle area.

If someone does not like snow and wants to live in King County... they should chose either downtown Seattle, Bellevue, or the Federal Way/Auburn/Covington areas.  It just seems so rare to see snow falling in those areas compared to other areas... and then when there is snow across the region it almost always seems to melt fastest in those spots.    I am sure there exceptions... but it so often works out that way.

Nothing personal with this post.   Just an observation.   I have often been jealous of those areas when I am sick and tired of dealing with snow and road issues up here.

Covington isn't nearly as bad as Auburn.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Think about how hard it would be to draw an "average annual snowfall" map of the Pacific Northwest.

Anywhere East of the Rockies that could be done quickly using a very low resolution map and the lines would be basically straight, but it would take hours and a fine pen to even come close here. Would actually be a pretty cool project for people to try to put together. 

Just on Bainbridge Island for example, I'm convinced my parents house at ~300 feet averages 8-10 inches, but the areas on the water probably get half that. Guessing I average around 12" here at 500 feet in Everett, but I'm really not quite sure.

• Like 2

This is my first winter in Whatcom County and I’m enjoying myself. Last night, I got to take a walk in the woods in falling snow that was cold enough that it squeaked when I stepped in it. Haven’t experienced that in a long time. A real taste of what winter in a continental climate is like. But just a taste. It’s still the we(s)t side. It will be raining and in the forties soon enough.

Of course, conditions here are nowhere near as insane as they are in Sumas.

• Like 2
It's called clown range for a reason.

Unsurprisingly, today was a no show for my area as well despite very strong echoes. The stuff that fell Sunday and Monday nights are all but gone now.

The heatwave has kicked in a it’s currently 39 and cloudy. It’s been fun, but back to normal we go.

Unsurprisingly, today was a no show for my area as well despite very strong echoes. The stuff that fell Sunday and Monday nights are all but gone now.

The heatwave has kicked in a it’s currently 39 and cloudy. It’s been fun, but back to normal we go.

We are not entirely done with snow yet.

• Like 1

By the way FIFI is the worst down here for snow events.  I used to travel from Federal Way to Costco for work in Tacoma. I was always amazed at how little snow they got.  Always assumed  that the Sound kept thing extra toasty in Fife since it doesn’t have any elevation.  Federal Way sucks but at least I’m not at the bottom of the list for snow.  
Otherwise I love my ability to have my kayak in the water five minutes from the house. 

LOL. I like where I live (and probably would not like North Dakota). Outflow events only happen maybe once or twice a year, and are pretty interesting in small doses. Events as cold and long as this one do wear thin, but are maybe only once every few years.

My wife, on the other hand, is from southern California, and she was 100% over it before it even started.....

• Like 3