December 2015 in the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

Dec 1990, one of the best Decembers of my lifetime. Though 2008 brought more snow in my area, 34" where we "only" received about 16" total in 1990. But 1990 roared in so rapidly, loved the power of that one.

image.jpeg

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

I really wish people would be more deliberate and repetitive with outlining their weather preferences. Preferences are the true heart and soul of weather. Nothing like being out in the elements and truly experiencing nature's preferences.

It's ruining this place. 

• Like 2

2008...seems so long ago! It pretty much snowed at least every other day for nearly 2 weeks!

Dec. 2008 was the best event for WA state for state-wide snow totals, storm-after-storm ,and the extend two week duration for the entire event. There has been nothing as good as that since the 1985 November event. Those type of events are rare and very special!! I assume it will be some time until we see anything like that again. 

It sounds like just what the Nurse ordered, or Doctor. I wonder where the block axis was, around 155 W is my guess with deep northeasterly flow.

Pretty much standard cold wave stuff just stronger/colder overall. Strong retrogression, amplification...

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

http://www.methow.us/webcams/

Check out Winthrop Wa. The front that went through the other day looked to have dropped maybe 18" of powder and then yesterday another

maybe 5-6". They just plastered. Scroll down to "downtown Winthrop, Sheri's Candy Shop". The owner of the candy shop periodically

goes out and wipes off half the table for perspective on snowfall. Its an amazing place for cold and snow. Elevation in town is barely

2,000ft in town but when cold air gets trapped in their valley, it is hard to scour out. They had to be getting some upsloping I would imagine.

Ok, the guy just swept off the table early this am but it looked like about 5-6 inches had fallen overnight. Looks like they may warm up to a little above freezing during the day . Not sure how much new snow will fall there this coming week.

• Like 3

12Z GFS is totally different for Thursday as compared to its 00Z run.   Now it looks like the ECMWF.

Here was the 00Z run for Thursday morning:

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/data/gfs/00/gfs_namer_111_precip_p03.gif

And the new 12Z GFS for Thursday morning:

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/data/gfs/12/gfs_namer_099_precip_p03.gif

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

http://www.methow.us/webcams/

Check out Winthrop Wa. The front that went through the other day looked to have dropped maybe 18" of powder and then yesterday another

maybe 5-6". They just plastered. Scroll down to "downtown Winthrop, Sheri's Candy Shop". The owner of the candy shop periodically

goes out and wipes off half the table for perspective on snowfall. Its an amazing place for cold and snow. Elevation in town is barely

2,000ft in town but when cold air gets trapped in their valley, it is hard to scour out. They had to be getting some upsloping I would imagine.

Ok, the guy just swept off the table early this am but it looked like about 5-6 inches had fallen overnight. Looks like they may warm up to a little above freezing during the day . Not sure how much new snow will fall there this coming week.

Some of those webcams are awesome!

Snoqualmie got 1.96" in the last 24 hours all as snow and it's still coming down.

Maybe they can maintain a bit of it through the rain early this week. Hopefully that will be built right back up again Wednesday through next weekend.

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

Snoqualmie got 1.96" in the last 24 hours all as snow and it's still coming down.

Maybe they can maintain a bit of it through the rain early this week. Hopefully that will be built right back up again Wednesday through next weekend.

Yeah... hoping somehow they can manage to get through Tuesday with a good base.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

12Z GFS is now much warmer for next weekend.   

I noticed that! :/

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Yuck... GFS looks like crap for early next week as well.   Keeps getting pushed back.

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/data/gfs/12/gfs_namer_216_500_vort_ht.gif

Yuck... GFS looks like crap for early next week as well. Keeps getting pushed back.

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/data/gfs/12/gfs_namer_216_500_vort_ht.gif

13 days till I leave for Chicago for Winter Break.

We have a couple weeks to wait.

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

Given the consistency that Thurs-next weekend was being shown as cold on most previous GFS/ECMWF runs, I'm hoping this is a warm outlier. Ensembles should help shed some light.

Based on the history of the GFS runs the past few years and the non-agreement of the models, I am more inclined to believe things are becoming more aligned with what will occur, not with being an outlier. We shall see but I strongly feel the models resolution improves as we get closer and climo is the norm. :)

At least the mountains are getting snow. Yah!! :)

EXACTLY! This is what we really need! I love lowland snow as much as everyone else on here, but the mountains need it bad. A snowpack that is deep enough to be immune to any extended warm spell, mountain rains, is what is badly needed. Not this one foot snowpack business, no it needs to be several FEET of snowpack that wont be gone till clear into JULY!!!! 

​I remember riding my crotch rocket up HWY 410 over Chinook Pass July of 2011....there were still tons of snow up there in places. 

The Euro has gotten back to leading the way. GFS has really been all over the place lately.

Yes... it has been far more consistent.   Jim would be served well to lead with analysis of the ECMWF in the mid and long range rather than all this stuff about the GFS in week 2.

Yes... it has been far more consistent. Jim would be served well to lead with analysis of the ECMWF in the mid and long range rather than all this stuff about the GFS in week 2.

Man, you really do have a thing for Jim.

• Like 1

Looks absolutely brutal in the twin cities.

#frozentundra

I was thinking it was nice of MN to have some Seattle weather today.   It was supposed to be sunny but it looks like an inversion has formed and there is low clouds and its a damp cold.   Almost exactly like the conditions the Seahawks had last week against the Steelers.

I was thinking it was nice of MN to have some Seattle weather today. It was supposed to be sunny but it looks like an inversion has formed and there is low clouds and its a damp cold. Almost exactly like the conditions the Seahawks had last week against the Steelers.

Now all you have to do is convince Jim of this!

Jim, Jim, Jim, Jim Jim, Jim-Jim, Jim, Jim.

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.