August 2016 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

Geos

FWIW, the GFS brings a big one into Florida in the long range.  More inline with what you are referring to. 

Great my kids are going to be in Florida Labor Day weekend. I better keep an eye on this...

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

I have a funny little feeling about the wave progged to move off Africa in the next few days. I'm not sure why, but my gut is telling me this one is going to do something.

SEA is now at +3.2 for the month this morning.   It will be interesting to see how much it falls from there through Wednesday.    Second warmest August ever right now... behind 1967.  But will likely fall a few spots before the month is over.

As usual, big difference at OLM. +1.8 and nowhere near a record.

A forum for the end of the world.

PDX running -21 compared to yesterday @ 7pm. Feels refreshing! 

No doubt we have been getting some big temperature swings lately.  I like that MUCH more than sustained warmth.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I haven't made my official forecast yet. I was thinking more of the lines of something in between 68/69 and 08/09 because that works out perfectly for PDX, a range of 24.2" to 34.0". Seattle got 67.5" in 68/69 and that's too much to predict something like that. As of right now if I had to make a forecast just to be on the conservative side, anywhere from 18" to 30" from PDX up to YVR. 

I love your line of reasoning on this.  The interesting thing is you may end up being right.  High chance of a good winter this time around.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

As usual, big difference at OLM. +1.8 and nowhere near a record.

There are so many microclimates around here that a different set of circumstances is required for different stations to achieve record or near record warm months this time of year. 

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

No doubt we have been getting some big temperature swings lately.  I like that MUCH more than sustained warmth.

No doubt. One of the most awful aspects of the 2014-2015 period was the sustained, high-end warmth. No big spikes or crashes either way.

Thicknesses go reasonably low for a good part of next week on the 0z GFS.  Looking more sure for a pretty long run of cool weather.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

We should keep the word reload out until it really matters.

I agree. That term should only be used from November thru March.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Quite impressive cold front being depicted for Labor Day with thicknesses ultimately falling below 546.  No way Mother Nature will magically pull positive departures out of thin air if that verifies.  If the timing is correct highs in the 50s would be pretty possible on Labor Day.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The WRF has trended cooler for Monday.  Cool weather fans may finally be catching some breaks.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I have a funny little feeling about the wave progged to move off Africa in the next few days. I'm not sure why, but my gut is telling me this one is going to do something.

Still looks like there may be a window of opportunity for the system in the gulf to blow up this week.

Playing around on WeatherBell this morning... the CFS is very warm in the west this winter.   In fact the coldest month shown between now and next spring in September.   Hopefully its wrong as usual.     Even I want a cold winter.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Playing around on WeatherBell this morning... the CFS is very warm in the west this winter. In fact the coldest month shown between now and next spring in September. Hopefully its wrong as usual. Even I want a cold winter.

What did the CFS show in late August 1968??

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Very cool 12z run to say the least.  Thicknesses below 552 over Seattle for exteneded periods of time beginning in a few days.  Looks like quite a soaking coming up early next week also.

It's certainly looking like a high chance the SE part of the country will be dealing with at least one tropical storm / hurricane in the coming days.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

My thought is that we cycle through a 10-day cool, troughy period like we did in early July and then the rest of the September is dry and a little warmer than normal.

Just a feeling that I am getting based on our analog years.    I also think October might end up fairly warm.    

I welcome criticism if I am wrong.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

My thought is that we cycle through a 10-day cool, troughy period like we did in early July and then the rest of the September is dry and a little warmer than normal.

Just a feeling that I am getting based on our analog years. I also think October might end up fairly warm.

I welcome criticism if I am wrong.

July was generally cool/troughy until the 25th, dude. Note PDX/OLM/EUG all saw their coolest anomalies after July 10th, as the deepest troughing occurred during the middle of the month.

The second and third weeks of July were cooler and troughier (relative to average) versus the first week of the month.

July was generally cool/troughy until the 25th, dude. Note PDX/OLM/EUG all saw their coolest anomalies after July 10th, as the deepest troughing occurred during the middle of the month.

The second and third weeks of July were cooler and troughier (relative to average) versus the first week of the month.

Great.

Locally we cycled through the coolest, wettest period in the first third of the month and then it was dry and warmer than normal.   

My feeling is the same for September.  

I too think it will warm up after the cold wave.

But the million dollar question is how much and for how long? :o

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

But the million dollar question is how much and for how long? :o

If I had to bet money... warmer than normal second half of September, October, and a wet/warm November. And then the fun could start. Still think best stuff is in January this year.