12/16 - 12/18 Plains/Lakes Major Winter Storm

Tom

Sorry, if you took offense.  I forgot in this day and age one must be PC at all times.  I know Grizz, we get drinks from time to time, so I know he is not taking offense to this joke nor any other I make regarding him.  I don't insult people I do not know, fyi.

not taking offense at all, just took it as you didn't know him, in which case would've been uncalled for if you ask me. but if you know him, that's not my business

2021-22 Snowfall: (Hiawatha)

TOTAL: 10.2"

(12/28: 3.0") (12/29: 0.8") 

(1/1: 6.4")

Dear God, please shift North  by another 50 miles. I might be the only person from Chicago hoping this doesn't pan out to be anything major. A chemistry final at 9 A.M. on Saturday + this = horrible. Commuting an hour into the city would just be a nightmare. Oh well, backside snows after 11 A.M. on Saturday are welcome :). What a crazy way to begin winter, just went outside and it was BRUTAL. 

Tom, could this still shift south by maybe 50 miles or so?

Could go either way. I remember with the last system the RPM/NAM placed the heavy band in S Wisco and not so much in N IL at this range. Shifts will happen at this range. The main energy will be sampled by 00z Thursday.

As the complaints become present,

We sit here,

A drought in the making, 

A dust storm near. 

As Iowans crumble,

We can't help but chuckle,

Laugh at the familiar pain,

That stings like a bumble,

As Chicago continues to win, and us to lose,

Cheers my lads, let's drink some booze.

• Like 4

As the complaints become present,

We sit here,

A drought in the making, 

A dust storm near. 

As Iowans crumble,

We can't help but chuckle,

Laugh at the familiar pain,

That stings like a bumble,

As Chicago continues to win, and us to lose,

Cheers my lads, let's drink some booze.

You have talent over there!  Maybe from the lack of snow shoveling! :)

And alek. The man could stir the pot like no other, but he knew his weather

He got chased out in PR. but that is a whole other story. He definitely knew how to push some people's buttons, but he wasn't stupid, like you said.

2021-22 Snowfall: (Hiawatha)

TOTAL: 10.2"

(12/28: 3.0") (12/29: 0.8") 

(1/1: 6.4")

6z GFS:

http://maps1.pivotalweather.com/maps/models/gfs/2016121406/120/snku_acc.us_mw.png

6z NAM:

http://maps1.pivotalweather.com/maps/models/nam/2016121406/084/snku_acc.us_mw.png

http://maps1.pivotalweather.com/maps/models/nam/2016121406/084/refcmp_ptype.us_mw.png

Takes a 996 L over southern LM with a nice defo band 

Love msp/eau claire area currently for this one

Your area and S/C Wisco is sitting pretty.  I'm riding the edge.  Historically, a track from from STL to FWA is ideal for N IL.  Hope the smaller features of this system start getting ironed out and placement of a possible defo band can somehow swing through.

From LOT:

There is growing model consensus on the low tracking

from near STL Saturday morning to near FWA Saturday afternoon.

While the ECMWF remains a hair farther south compared to the GFS,

differences are getting smaller. With that in mind, there is

growing confidence in a primarily snow event north of I-80 with

the threat for a wintry mix including sleet and freezing rain up

to but primarily south of the I-80 corridor. Snowfall should

really ramp up starting around midday Friday as mid-level warm air

advection strengthens. Strongest f-gen corridor appears to fall

close to the IL/WI state line and north. Several inches of

accumulating snowfall appear possible, but the axis of heaviest

snow, at least with this set of model runs, may fall just to our

north. Snow totals will quickly taper south of I-80 where warmer

temps will result in less efficient snow and a mix at times. 

Normally a storm like this going over or very  near STL would give C.IA a whooping. Especially with the cold air in place and with WAA making precip type issues in S.IA-- this one just doesn't have it for C.IA and never seems to really phase. Oh well- if you can't beat em' , join em'. Don't have to worry about the wife doing the driveway so I'am  going winter camping to the BWCAW this weekend--- hot tenting for those who ask. Gave up the cold tenting in the dead winter once I got past 35.

12471771_1101329056578893_5311514136331789371_o.jpg

• Like 3

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Normally a storm like this going over or very  near STL would give C.IA a whooping. Especially with the cold air in place and with WAA making precip type issues in S.IA-- this one just doesn't have it for C.IA and never seems to really phase. Oh well- if you can't beat em' , join em'. Going winter camping to the BWCAW this weekend anyway--- hot tenting for those who ask. Gave up the cold tenting in the dead winter once I got past 35.

attachicon.gif12471771_1101329056578893_5311514136331789371_o.jpg

That's awesome!  Reminds me of how the homesteaders in Alaska live off the grid.  

@ Okwx, confidence is growing that you may squeeze out some snow for the first time this season.  GEFS are showing a back side band to form. 

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs-ens/2016121406/gfs-ens_apcpn24_us_15.png