August 2017 PNW Discussion Thread

Geos

Only 82 here today, was originally supposed to be 87. 

Sunset tonight.

post-7-0-00883600-1501990328_thumb.jpg

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

What it is modeling is that TS Nagale is pulling the broad pacific high back west far enough to open the door slightly for an aluetian low to sneak down some energy here.  But that will require some breakdown in the western ridge to cooperate.  I don't know if there will be enough energy to do that as witnessed by the last low that tried to break down the ridge 2 weeks ago and failed. 

gfs_z500_mslp_npac_4.png

Some rain and cooler, active weather would be nice, but I wouldn't hold my breath. It's been years since we've seen a legitimately active pattern start this early.

In reality it will probably be a situation where most of the energy ends up digging offshore and we are left in a slightly cooler, but more humid pattern with spotty rain chances.

• Like 1

Two days ago, the GFS was spitting out 22-23C for today and the NWS was talking about possible upper 90's and issuing a heat advisory. 

17.8C this morning over SLE.  :lol:

Yeah, the onshore flow has been more stubborn than anticipated. I'm not complaining.

Will be interesting to see if we can skate through today with another sub-90 high. We are running about the same as yesterday at the moment, although there are a few more clouds around and smoke seems to be coming back into the picture as well.

The transition from hour 192 to 216 on the 12Z Euro looks pretty wonky. Seems like the GFS has been slightly more consistent in its handling of the pattern. It has surprisingly outperformed the Euro in the mid-range a handful of times this summer.

Yeah, the onshore flow has been more stubborn than anticipated. I'm not complaining.

Will be interesting to see if we can skate through today with another sub-90 high. We are running about the same as yesterday at the moment, although there are a few more clouds around and smoke seems to be back coming into the picture as well.

Is it still taboo to hope for some rain? I was worried something like this could happen this summer with the way things dried out so early. Even you have to admit things are way to dry now and we could use a good swath of rainy weather to get things under control. The forests are incredibly volatile now, even right to the coast.

Is it still taboo to hope for some rain? I was worried something like this could happen this summer with the way things dried out so early. Even you have to admit things are way to dry now and we could use a good swath of rainy weather to get things under control. The forests are incredibly volatile now, even right to the coast.

When even Tim is rooting for rain you know it's been a bit dry.

• Like 1

Not at all. It never was in my book. We need it badly now, on a regional level.

It had nothing to do with the spring. Most areas went into summer as wet as it could possibly be... then a record dry streak.

I would like a good soaking rain every week in summer.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Will be interesting to see if we can skate through today with another sub-90 high. We are running about the same as yesterday at the moment, although there are a few more clouds around and smoke seems to be coming back into the picture as well.

I'm thinking no 90 today either. 

Any change in the pattern would be good. Heavy smoke aloft today, Only up to 76 as of 2pm. 

CMC has the low also, but comes ashore further north.

gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_nwus_29.png

Mercer Island, 350 ft

Temperature pretty much flat lined once it got to 77. Marine push little stronger today.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

Thunderstorms in progress, thunder every 15 seconds. I had a brief downpour about 4:35 ish. Now storms a little to my SW with some close booms from 3-5 miles out. A few sound closer.

I like the smell of rain too. The smoke got worse today so it's nice!

This should make my 6th storm day for the year. 

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 21
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 5/4, 5/5, 5/6, 5/7
5/8, 

Severe storms: 2