PNW December 2022 - Part II

Guest hawkstwelve

36 minutes ago, MillCreekMike said:

You mind posting Paine Field?

IDK if anyone's posted this since, so apologies if this already has.1671451200-9d7bzB29xUo.png1671451200-AChPXSH4mEQ.png

• Like 2

My Weather Station:  https://ambientweather.net/dashboard/b415ff35b2d13f00c899051028f04466 

Located in North Seattle, elevation ~150ft. Highest temperature ever recorded is 110.3, lowest is 14.5.

My Twitter

As exciting as JayA's faith in a GFS-esque scenario is, and as much as I would like to see a big dump of snow, I will feel a lot more optimistic about such a thing actually happening if the 18Z Euro climbs on board.

Even if it doesn't happen, it's still a decent snowfall.

• Like 2
It's called clown range for a reason.

2 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

Temp never actually went above freezing today despite really threatening to. This airmass has held its ground. The Euro is far too warm this evening, even more so than the GFS is cold.

All obs KSEA north show subfreezing DP's and lowering temps in the last half hour. I see no model that warms temperatures up past what they are right now. 3km NAM is likely too aggressive with offshore cyclogenesis near the coast early tomorrow morning; this is a very common bias for the model.

Tonight could be historic.

Dude this is awesome, I’m so excited to see how low the temps will go in the next few days with this snow cover.

• Like 2

(Previous name: MillCreekMike)

Everett, WA (elev. 180’)

2023-2024 Snowfall:

1/11: Tr.

1/18: Tr.

Go M’s

7 minutes ago, Frontal Snowsquall said:

New weather update just posted by Rod Hill.

Love Rod but I feel as though he's too optimistic about scouring us out that quickly Friday. Mark seems confident this will last through Saturday.

• Like 4

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

2 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

As exciting as JayA's faith in a GFS-esque scenario is, and as much as I would like to see a big dump of snow, I will feel a lot more optimistic about such a thing actually happening if the 18Z Euro climbs on board.

Even if it doesn't happen, it's still a decent snowfall.

Watch the 18z put current temps 5 degrees above the observed temps and fall on its face tomorrow with cold air being pushed out too early 

It's happening guys. Here are the latest GEFS and EPS maps of >6" probabilities. SEA around 50% in both. 1671602400-PuZ403FEJ74.png1671602400-RpTrNVoA29w.png

• Like 3
  • Excited 2
  • scream 3

My Weather Station:  https://ambientweather.net/dashboard/b415ff35b2d13f00c899051028f04466 

Located in North Seattle, elevation ~150ft. Highest temperature ever recorded is 110.3, lowest is 14.5.

My Twitter

1 minute ago, Meatyorologist said:

God, the Euro is still verifying +8F in the strait. Honestly I am just as disappointed as I am excited; this is supposed to be the king! Must be very unnerving for the Sandpoint mets to watch obs go against the grain and the normally "safe" path of just trusting the Euro. But this is of course a very tenuous situation... I think it deserves some slack.

And their WSW shows some real maturity there--nice to go with observations and their gut instinct instead of the moderate solution. I really respect it, even if it busts tonight. The mark of a good forecaster is communicating when a very large threat exists, even if it means risking your reputation in the event it flops. This is a brand of courage that I wish I saw more often. Great on them!

It's never been good with short term temps. Bread and butter for euro always seems to be big picture, 3-7 days out.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, selkirks said:

Definitely got above 32º F today here between U-Village and Ravenna as a good chunk of the snow that fell last night did end up melting. But now it's snowing (lightly) again!

That is true, I definitely felt the temp change going from the north part of town down to U.Village today. Evidenced by the high temps so far.

temp_map.png

• Like 3

I know this event is capturing all the attention at the moment, but did anyone look at the full extent of the 12z or 18z GFS? Those runs are probably the wettest I've ever seen. Obviously not going to happen, but fun to see 250"+ of snow forecast for the highest elevations of the Cascades and Olympics over a two week stretch.

• Like 2

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

2023-24: 7.0" (1/17: 3", 1/18: 1.5", 2/26: 0.5", 3/4: 2.0", Flakes: 1/11, 1/16)

18Z ECMWF a little warmer again with the temp spike tomorrow morning. 

To lay out timing... this is snow through 7 a.m.  and the projected temps at that time.

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-total_snow_kuchera-1548400.png

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-t2m_f-1548400.png

• Like 1
  • Sick 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Just now, TT-SEA said:

18Z ECMWF a little warmer again with the temp spike tomorrow morning. 

To lay out timing... this is snow through 7 a.m.  and the projected temps at that time.

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-total_snow_kuchera-1548400.png

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-t2m_f-1548400.png

I really do want to see this bust-- and historically it has been very difficult to argue with the EURO on surface details. Bt it really hasn't been all the great the past few weeks-- I feel like a surprise may be at hand.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

3 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

God, the Euro is still verifying +8F in the strait. Honestly I am just as disappointed as I am excited; this is supposed to be the king! Must be very unnerving for the Sandpoint mets to watch obs go against the grain and the normally "safe" path of just trusting the Euro. But this is of course a very tenuous situation... I think it deserves some slack.

And their WSW shows some real maturity there--nice to go with observations and their gut instinct instead of the moderate solution. I really respect it, even if it busts tonight. The mark of a good forecaster is communicating when a very large threat exists, even if it means risking your reputation in the event it flops. This is a brand of courage that I wish I saw more often. Great on them!

This thing isn't going to bust.  If anything the amounts look to light, a widespread 6-12 inches look doable out of this.

Only thing that might burn us is moisture content but we will learn that here real quick by watch radar trends.

Sure looks like the low has a b line to about Aberdeen to me.

• Like 6
  • Excited 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.