PNW December 2022 - Part II

Guest hawkstwelve

10 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

I think your area stays in the icebox for at least another 24 hours. Could get bad.

Definitely possible as some heavier precip pushes in. I'm 50/50 on that at this point, though

• Like 2

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

32.0! Not a bad stretch, went below freezing Sunday afternoon and will be heading above in the next hour I’m sure. I will take it. Would have been nice to get more than 8” of snow but oh well, all in all a solid event with very cold temps and the biggest freezing rain event I have been through. 

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

32 degrees here now and the melt has started. We should be above freezing shortly for the first time since 11:40 pm on Tuesday night. That's two subfreezing highs (32 on 12/21 and 27 on 12/22) with no snow at all and approx. 1/4" ice accretion. Not bad and the ice certainly could've been worse. All eyes now go to a possible wind event early next week and lots of rain.image.thumb.png.ef1aff9a453db1a02fd04b50f4344d9d.png

• Like 4

1 hour ago, justpassinthru said:

Careful what you wish for. I still remember the windstorm of '62. Different then an ice storm. You can stay home in an ice storm and be inconvenienced if the electricity goes out and dodge the occasional tree falling. A strong windstorm can attack you inside your home blowing windows out, massive trees falling in all directions, power out for days. I was seven years old and still have vivid memories of that experience.

I was 12 during the great Columbus Day Storm.  Road the school bus home with a friend.  I remember playing football up in a giant hayloft in their barn.  It was like a train hit.  We had to come in and ride it out.  I was stranded at their home for 3 days till dad could come and get me.  the damage was enormous and widespread.  The ice storm of '21  had us without power for two weeks and while not as much damage, it was significant.  You can ride an ice storm out, can't hide in a big windstorm. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, MossMan said:

32.0! Not a bad stretch, went below freezing Sunday afternoon and will be heading above in the next hour I’m sure. I will take it. Would have been nice to get more than 8” of snow but oh well, all in all a solid event with very cold temps and the biggest freezing rain event I have been through. 

It was a good event,  much better up your way. Honestly it is very disappointing knowing we had one of the coldest arctic air masses to hit the lower 48 and south of Seattle pretty much was a joke. I would of loved to see a low track south just once, with all that high pressure to the east and north it would of been nuts. Even just a 1000mb low tracking into Astoria would of been crazy. What is crazy is we can get a bunch colder in the Puget Sound with a warmer airmass than what we just had but with better forcing. I'm confident we get another outbreak in January or early Feb. 

• Like 5

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

30.4 and not budging. Still have a weak NNE wind.

• Like 3

2022-23 Winter:

11/29: .25" + 1" = 1.25" | 11/30: .25"

12/2: .2" + .5" = .7" | 12/3: .2" | 12/4: trace

12/18: .4" | 12/19: .2" + .8" = 1.0" | 12/20: .2 + 1.5" = 1.7

1/31: trace | 2/14: trace | 2/22: .2 | 2/26: 1.0"

Total: 6.7"

18 minutes ago, Snownerd3000 said:

Rage Against the Machine used to be cool.  They should change their names to Rage with the Machine now

I think their stuff has stood the test of time. It’s just tough to maintain that anger that made them great as they get older and pile up the money. 

The Man gouged me on my Bentley. F*ck The Man!!!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sandy rocks said:

I see that Welches above me will be 44. Still locked in the ice here probably for the next two days. I am only ten miles as the crow flies from the gorge. Hopefully we can still get some snow. I have only had about four inches in two events so far. 

You're about a 1,000ft in town.  My friend is south of you about 15miles at 1,200ft and in total thaw mode at 35f. Had zero snow.  Just some sleet and a little ZR.   Warming may hit you sooner than you think.  No snow coming for sure.  Temps above you way too warm.  It's over for that.  Actually for a lot of locations, snow never even started even at higher elevations.  It was spotty. 

• Like 2

Taking the kids out in it one more time before it starts turning to slushy goo. Still frozen solid even though we are above freezing now. Wind is whipping and the chunks of ice are falling from them now so we will stay close to the house. 

• Like 4

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth!