PNW December 2022 - Part II

Guest hawkstwelve

1 minute ago, Timmy said:

The dalles down to 31 after torching last night, west-east gradient has really slacked off.  Now sure when to expect the east wind to return.

ECMWF shows the east wind finally punching through in Portland on Wednesday evening.  

• Like 7

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

It's beginning just like the Euro has been saying it would. And what else does the Euro have to say about today?

ecmwf-deterministic-vancouverski-total_snow_kuchera-1472800.thumb.png.50e3e2ab6b9c7979fb68869c9e49f9a2.pngoh_yeah.gif.1e2def6a20980812097c0414e019e881.gif

ECMWF says you won't get above freezing up there until maybe late Friday.  

• Like 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

Just for fun... the 12Z NAM doesn't even show a system on Tuesday now.   🙄

nam-218-all-nw-precip_3hr_inch-1570000.png

Could mean colder down south but the NAM has been all over the place. I think there's a good chance Seattle gets at least a few inches. I'm not that disappointed because Thursday looks frigid in PDX. I'm not sure of the exact highs but the GFS looked like a high around 22/23 and the Euro had aa high around 20

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Just going to say that, this is also the idea of the gfs to a lesser extent. 

Just noticed that... not much there on the GFS either.

gfs-deterministic-nw-precip_3hr_inch-1580800.png

• Like 2

Just now, Timmy said:

Noticeably colder for Monday night tho  

Yeah... it doesn't show the western side of the trough buckling like the ECMWF shows.   This prevents southerly flow ahead of that feature and its just colder and drier. 

• Like 5

20 hours ago, ShawniganLake said:

Arctic front is between cache creek and Clinton bc currently. I expect it to cross the lower mainland after sunrise tomorrow 7-10am

25 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

I was talking about this earlier.  The push is slower and weaker and that is not good.

It’s a couple hours ahead of what I was expecting 24hrs ago. 

• Like 5

Just now, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Seattle could actually escape much snow until Thursday the way things are looking. 

ECMWF strongly disagrees still... so I guess its possible but unlikely.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

KABOOM!

Yeah, baby! Thundersnow! We got it!

That is amazing!   You would never think that based on the radar.    Very dynamic up there where the arctic air meets the maritime air.  

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Timmy said:

Noticeably colder for Monday night tho  

3 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Yeah... it doesn't show the western side of the trough buckling like the ECMWF shows.   This prevents southerly flow ahead of that feature and it’s just colder and drier. 

12z NAM shows a better push of Arctic air into the Columbia Basin by Tuesday 4pm compared to the 6z.

6z:E40433B9-7A85-42D8-8F12-8DE6DC73E148.thumb.png.9379476d06c71c6bb8717b2579848f16.png

12z:1AD9F791-9623-419D-83B2-EFD90435EE0C.thumb.png.3633022b45f787536d63ca67b14e53bf.png

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Doinko said:

Just a tiny bit south would be great!

ICON shows an incredible temperature gradient between Seattle and Portland on Tuesday...

icon-all-washington-t2m_f-1580800.png

• Like 3
  • Sick 2

3 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Then you have the 06Z ICON which shows lot of moisture and way south.    This is for an event that starts in 48 hours.   Crazy.

icon-all-nw-precip_6hr_inch-1580800.png

Honestly this has stressed me out lol. The models that is. I've watched many of these in my day and this has been probably the craziest ride ever. Or I'm just getting old.

Edited by MR.SNOWMIZER
  • Like 3

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

Just now, TT-SEA said:

ICON shows an incredible temperature gradient between Seattle and Portland on Tuesday...

icon-all-washington-t2m_f-1580800.png

One thing we both have thought all along and it looks to be happening.  The warm up continues to be pushed back. And probably will wait till Monday or so if I had to guess.

• Like 5

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

3 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

One thing we both have thought all along and it looks to be happening.  The warm up continues to be pushed back. And probably will wait till Monday or so if I had to guess.

Yeah... the trend towards a much slower warm up are very clear now and its probably not done being delayed.    Good news is that means places that get snow will probably still have snow on the ground on Christmas.    Potential problem I see that it might also mean more ice problems and power outages for Christmas weekend would not be fun.  

• Like 4