September 2017 PNW Discussion Thread

stuffradio

A heat wave ruined by smoke could be a first if it happens.

Happened in early August as well... and we were discussing at that time that is was probably much more common long ago in the 19th century and early 20th century when fires burned out of control for long periods of time.

It was probably common for thousands of years before we arrived.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Warmest day so far this year here at just over 89F, nudging out Aug 2nd; however, some poorly timed high clouds could spoil the shot at a 90F+ day. Air quality is still good here, but looking worse and worse to the south. Everything looks pretty parched, Rhododendrons do not like the heat. YYJ is still flirting with a monthly record with maybe another hour or so of potential heating if we lose the clouds.

http://i.imgur.com/fi8QL4R.jpg

I was over in Liberty WA yesterday and it was pretty awful there. Probably the driest I have ever seen it with thick dust settled over everything along with smoke, falling ash, withered vegetation, and a hellish looking red sky. The dust on the roads was so bad you had to wait for about a minute to exit the car to not become overwhelmed by a cloud of dust.

No question extremes beget extremes. Lets hope this winter gives us the extremes we want.

This is the time of year that you actively delude yourself into thinking everything is a good sign I see. ;) Maybe our climate is just getting hotter.

Warmest day so far this year here at just over 89F, nudging out Aug 2nd; however, some poorly timed high clouds could spoil the shot at a 90F+ day. Air quality is still good here, but looking worse and worse to the south. Everything looks pretty parched, Rhododendrons do not like the heat. YYJ is still flirting with a monthly record with maybe another hour or so of potential heating if we lose the clouds.

http://i.imgur.com/fi8QL4R.jpg

You know it is possible to turn on a sprinkler at night for a couple hours once a week. California yards look nicer than many of the yards in the PNW when it does not rain.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

You should drive up there and kick his a**.

I might drive up there and turn on a hose for 20 minutes. :)

It would drive me crazy watching landscaping plants die when all it needed was a little drink once a week.

You know it is possible to turn on a sprinkler at night for a couple hours once a week. California yards look nicer than many of the yards in the PNW when it does not rain.

Probably wouldn't make a difference here, we got rain shadowed most of the spring so things didn't develop a healthy base like they did in non-shadowed areas. People around here have just given up, there's not a single green lawn on the street. Hopefully the fall will provide more generous rainfall.

I might drive up there and turn on a hose for 20 minutes. :)

It would drive me crazy watching landscaping plants die when all it needed was a little drink once a week.

It's more productive and satisfying to wallow in the negativity of a less than favorable situation.

#nevertrump

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Probably wouldn't make a difference here, we got rain shadowed most of the spring so things didn't develop a healthy base like they did in non-shadowed areas. People around here have just given up, there's not a single green lawn on the street. Hopefully the fall will provide more generous rainfall.

Too bad... it does not take much if you do it right.

Too bad... it does not take much if you do it right.

Well I have managed to keep the Rhodos near the house alive with drip irrigation, most of the stuff lower down just isn't worth it, We've had too many extremely dry summers in a row now, I need to replace them with more drought tolerant plants/trees.

This is the time of year that you actively delude yourself into thinking everything is a good sign is see. ;) Maybe our climate is just getting hotter.

We did have last winter sandwiched in amongst the warmth.  I could live with seeing our coldest anoms in the winter.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Well I have managed to keep the Rhodos near the house alive with drip irrigation, most of the stuff lower down just isn't worth it, We've had too many extremely dry summers in a row now, I need to replace them with more drought tolerant plants/trees.

The interesting thing is our summers used to be very dry compared to what we have come to think of as normal.  In the first quarter of the 20th century Seattle's normal precip was about half of recent in July and Aug.  Of course that was with cooler temps also.  

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Just for review here are the temps for last winter.  I will say we are more than due for a few very cool summers though.

post-222-0-17560000-1504566564_thumb.png

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Well if anyone was questioning if smoke suppresses high temperatures, they only need to look to today at PDX. Only 89º at the 3:53pm reading with 850mb temps at 26-27C. 4,300ft overcast layer being reported which is of course the very thick low level smoke layer.

Today also proved that low level smoke effects high temps even greater than more ground based (less than 2,000ft AGL) smoke.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Seeing lots of reports of falling ash around the East side and Vancouver. I'm assuming some of you are seeing the same?

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Anomalies are bad, on both sides!

You can't have one without the other. A super sexy -10 day is only possible because there have been spine-deteriorating, cancer-causing, bowel obstructing, ball-shrinking, rapist-creating, Nazi-sympathizing, butthole surfing +10 days before it.

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.