September 2017 PNW Discussion Thread

stuffradio

It would have sucked more for the forest's health if it didn't burn. It would have been more susceptible to disease, insect outbreaks, etc. The new forest that will grow back will be healthier and will have more nutrient-rich soil.

The woods don't revolve around your emotions. ;)

I understand the ecology of forest fires more than you might think, and I never said that they do. Still, in the short term, as someone who has hiked there a lot, it's sort of sad. Am I allowed to say that? Let me be human. :lol:

• Like 3

I understand the ecology of forest fires more than you might think, and I never said that they do. Still, in the short term, as someone who has hiked there a lot, it's sort of sad. Am I allowed to say that? Let me be human. :lol:

No doubt... this is sad regardless of the big picture.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Sure, you can be human. :lol:

I visited Yellowstone in 1998, just 10 years after the devastating fires there. The area had recovered pretty quickly as far as bushes, flowers, deer grazing, etc. I wasn't sad and this is coming from someone who loved trees.

If Irma goes to strike FL, I'm probably heading down there to intercept it. I know south FL much better than I do TX.

If Irma goes to strike FL, I'm probably heading down there to intercept it. I know south FL much better than I do TX.

Irma is coming to your doorstep in a week.

Oh and screw you 00Z GFS.   Where the f*ck is our trough?

gfs_z500_mslp_us_31.png

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Sure, you can be human. :lol:

I visited Yellowstone in 1998, just 10 years after the devastating fires there. The area had recovered pretty quickly as far as bushes, flowers, deer grazing, etc. I wasn't sad and this is coming from someone who loved trees.

Not sure if that is the best analogy. You don't grow up near Yellowstone, then live in Yellowstone for three years. And the fire wasn't in progress.

It's sort of silly that I'm even having to defend my comment. I'm sure there are a lot of people who are disappointed about the fire, even if it is "good" in the grand scheme of things. If 3.5 billion people suddenly evaporated it would probably be good for nature in the grand scheme of things too, but their friends and loved ones would still be mourning. Short sighted babies. ;)

And a couple days before.

How are precip amounts for later this week looking on the 00z?

The weekend trough is a complete joke now.   Particularly compared to what it looked like just 2 days ago.

Not sure if that is the best analogy. You don't grow up near Yellowstone, then live in Yellowstone for three years. And the fire wasn't in progress.

It's sort of silly that I'm even having to defend my comment. I'm sure there are a lot of people who are disappointed about the fire, even if it is "good" in the grand scheme of things. If 3.5 billion people suddenly evaporated it would probably be good for nature in the grand scheme of things too, but their friends and loved ones would still be mourning. Short sighted babies. ;)

A lot of people can't think straight and let emotions rule the day.

You might even say it defines us.

Does anyone know exactly where Mark lives?  There is a level 3 evacuation now in the East Corbett area:

https://flashalert.net/id/MCSO/107600

As someone that has hiked the Eagle Creek trail a few times, I'm outraged that some teenaged puke started it with fireworks.  I hope they make an example of him and prosecute him to the full extent the law can.  This resource is ruined for a lifetime.

As of 9:30 

Downright scary if you live anywhere near that.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Does anyone know exactly where Mark lives?  There is a level 3 evacuation now in the East Corbett area:

https://flashalert.net/id/MCSO/107600

As someone that has hiked the Eagle Creek trail a few times, I'm outraged that some teenaged puke started it with fireworks.  I hope they make an example of him and prosecute him to the full extent the law can.  This resource is ruined for a lifetime.

How big of an idiot do you have to be to use fireworks in the woods when it's this dry?  Totally insane.  He could end up paying dearly.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I tried to warn Jim!!

I never said I was sold on it.  It did look promising at one point though.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Nightmarish conditions at Vista House right now. 91 degrees and a gusty east wind blowing in heavy smoke and ash.

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/timeseries.php?sid=D6193&table=1&banner=off

God help anyone living near there.  This looks dire right now.  It almost looks like it could rival the horrible 1902 Yacolt fire.  That one also featured hot / dry east winds.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Wow...ok.

:huh:

Sorry man. I like you. But you have come off pretty arrogant this whole exchange. It seems like you think people either have to be one or the other. A wobbling emotional jellyfish incapable of rational thought or a heartless, stoic robot. Just not the case. Being bummed about a wildfire burning up one of my favorite places should be pretty understandable. And it is possible to feel that way while also grasping larger concepts about the nature of wildfire ecology/the inevitability of change, believe it or not.