November 2017 PNW Discussion Thread

stuffradio

Arctic blocking returns on the latest EPS weeklies, starting just after Thanksgiving, and continuing into at least the third of December.

How far south?

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

47 degrees and a fairly steady set of showers here. Nothing unusual for this time of year. Maybe a degree or 2 below normal. GFS doesn't show us hitting the freezing point in its latest run.

This is an impressively cool trough for this time of year, even if we don’t get snow down here. It’s really, really early to expect snow down here.

• Like 2

FWIW, 00z NAM shows a narrow PSCZ-type signature for tomorrow morning and into the afternoon. If it were to occur, and NW flow aloft does aide in it's development, that might be the only way the lowlands see snow with the otherwise marginal conditions.

After living here all my life I've learned to never underestimate the power of a strong PSCZ.  :)

namconus_ref_frzn_nwus_18.png

I like your optimism.

3km NAM showing heavy snow in NW King County right before rush hour.

nam3km_mslp_pcpn_frzn_nwus_12.png

nam3km_asnow_nwus_22.png

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Just got home to Shawnigan. Snowing here and the ground is white. Snow level was about 350ft. Sticking snow 450ft.

Still just a cold rain here, but things seem to be moving slower than modeled. There's ton of moisture and the outflow is creeping in rather than racing in so it could bode better for tonight. The drop in temperature was pretty dramatic this afternoon, from nearly 50F and sunny down to 38F in about an hour, but temperatures have remained just a little to warm for snow to mix in at this elevation. Currently sitting at 37F.

The NWS is going pretty bullish with the S word both tonight / tomorrow morning and on Sunday.  Truly extraordinary setup for this time of year.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Another very interesting thing to remember is the late September, mid October, and now this trough all would be sure snow producers from late Nov through mid Feb.  Knowing how the atmosphere normally has a "memory" within a given season that is reason for optimism.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Looks like the arctic front is probably going to stall in Yamhill County.

How rude of it

• Like 2

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Getting some flurries here in Bellingham (just north of Lake Whatcom), and its at 34 degrees here at my house.

Watching the Sounders match and they just had thunder and lightning

Looks like the NAM MM5 is too slow bringing the wind shift southward.  The wind has already switched in places well south of where that model indicated for this early.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Another very interesting thing to remember is the late September, mid October, and now this trough all would be sure snow producers from late Nov through mid Feb. Knowing how the atmosphere normally has a "memory" within a given season that is reason for optimism.

That's a weird thing to say Jim. I love your optimism but the memory thing is far fetched. Maybe it happens but if it does it's not because of the memory. It may be because of the dark side of the moon or the bright side of the sun. Either way I think this winter will be a poor mans version of last winter.

Also a fairly significant cluster of EPS (weekly) members with a large ridge centered over Alaska heading into December.

About 2/3rds of the members are cold across the west overall with blocking over Alaska and the Arctic, while 1/3rd are warmer than normal with an Alaska Low/Polar Vortex pattern. This is a minority solution, though.

• Like 3

That's a weird thing to say Jim. I love your optimism but the memory thing is far fetched. Maybe it happens but if it does it's not because of the memory. It may be because of the dark side of the moon or the bright side of the sun. Either way I think this winter will be a poor mans version of last winter.

I actually think patterns do get stuck in a rut and repeat.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Poor man's version of last winter isn't exactly bad.

Certain 500mb patterns repeating over the course of a season is a real thing. There are many examples.

Not to say that these well, but it isn’t like Jim is totally out of left field here.

The memory thing is actually pretty well established.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

00z WRF mirrors the NAM - has a PSCZ forming in King County early tomorrow morning and dropping south to Pierce thereafter. Only about an inch most places, if that, but I'll take it!  :)

I'll take any snow on November 3rd!

Down to 40.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

00z WRF mirrors the NAM - has a PSCZ forming in King County early tomorrow morning and dropping south to Pierce thereafter. Only about an inch most places, if that, but I'll take it!  :)

It pretty impressive how the NAM and GFS mesoscale models agree on the area between Seattle and Tacoma being the winner.  On top of that the 12z and 0z have almost exactly the same placement.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I can't even imagine getting two decent snows in a two day period this early in the season.  Could happen though with the track of Sunday's low being utterly perfect for the Puget Sound region.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Little fun fact for you all:

If Seattle only reaches 44 degrees as forecast tomorrow, that would tie a record low maximum for the date set in 1974. #wawx

— NWS Seattle (@NWSSeattle) November 3, 2017

Doubt it happens, but 41 from 10/31/84 is the benchmark high to beat.

What's insane is how the record low max's go from 42 on 11/10 to 21 on 11/12 (1955). Every time I look at the numbers from that event it's just mind-boggling.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.