Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

GFS already looking dramatically different as well. The eastern trough is much deeper this run and the building of a trough in the west is no longer there. Looks to pull a NW flow

gfs_z500a_namer_35.png

2018-2019 Snowfall Totals So Far : 59.5"

For More Winter Weather Forecasts for 2017-2018 :

https://www.facebook.com/snowdayweather/

Not entirely so...during the 1915-16 winter; Lincoln did not drop to 19 F or less until December 14, 1915.  So even falling into the teens; not even the single digits; has happened before.

Yeah this year we are lucky we had a cold first half of November to kind of even the playing field and stay away from many warm extremes. I'm hoping the same can be said for December with a cold end to the month. 

Also what are you doing with Lincoln stats? That's my job!

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

I think the GFS kinda went cuckoo for cocoa puffs on the 00z run with the magnitude of cold it's projecting a few days before Christmas. I'm thinking it was overplayed it and that we'll see some moderation towards some more reasonable kind of cold you'd expect right after a pattern change in future runs. Definitely is eye candy to look at a barney rampage here again.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

attachicon.gifgfs_namer_225_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif

Here comes the pattern change....

Don't be so quick to say its coming. the EURO is completely different, the CMC no longer has the western trough and the GFS has also slightly changed as well. Its 11 days out not holding my breath.

2018-2019 Snowfall Totals So Far : 59.5"

For More Winter Weather Forecasts for 2017-2018 :

https://www.facebook.com/snowdayweather/

Light snow is falling here, the heaver snow is still off to the west of here. With a temperature of 18° all of the snow that falls will cover not only the ground but the roads as well. NWS is thinking about 6” in this area we shall see.  BTY there is about a 60 mile wide area NW to SE that is in a WSW and on either side of that about a 30 to 40 mile area that is in a WWA 

The snow fall has now picked up in intensity it is close to moderate in intensity  and with a temperature of 19° the snow will not have a problem acclaiming on both the ground and untreated roads (even treated roads will become snow covered) I know some areas near the lake received a good amount of snow yesterday but here in Grand Rapids the official amount was reported at just a trace. In Muskegon they reported just over a half inch at .6” and in the center of the state Lansing had just under a half inch coming in a .4”  Today there will be much more snow that that. With that said it time to look at todays

Climatology for today December 13th     At Grand Rapids, MI

The average H/L for today at Grand Rapids is 35/24

The record high is 61° st in 2015 the coldest maximum is 15° set in 1943

The record low is -6° set in 1958 and the warmest minimum is 48° set om 1920

The biggest snow fall is 6.8° set in 1973 (can we pass that today?)

The most on the ground is 15” set in 1970

Last year the H/L was 26/16 there was .7” of snow and the day started out with 8” on the ground.

• Like 1

Did anyone notice on Gary's blog that he now is using the late Oct GL's bomb (Oct 24th) and comparing it to the Dec 10th pattern???  Wait a minute, he used that same late Oct storm for the early Dec Blitz (Dec 4th-5th)!  If you don't believe me, go back to his archives and check out his Dec 4th post.  He clearly used it and said it is roughly a 42 day cycle (centered around 45 days).  I have my doubts, but that's just my 2 cents.  I'm a Big believe that there is a clear 30-day harmonic and it's showing up again around Christmas eve, more so than it did in late November when the west coast ridge ended up being much stronger.

Regarding the potential late weekend system (17th/18th), the 30-day harmonic shines again as there was a juicy storm system that formed in the same position the modeling is suggesting for it to come out of the southern Plains with somewhat of a subtropical connection.  Back on Nov 17th-18th, there was much more blocking and that is not happening this go-around with a + AO, although, there may be some room there (albeit it marginal) for some snow on the northern periphery of the southern wave.

Just got back from Ireland last night. Great trip, and even had the pleasure of driving across the country on Sunday during a rare snowstorm. Now it’s snowing moderately here in St Paul. Roads becoming covered almost instantly. About 3” on the ground.

Hadn’t looked at a model run in 7 days. Reading through the last few pages of this thread has provided some great morning entertainment.

• Like 4

Just got back from Ireland last night. Great trip, and even had the pleasure of driving across the country on Sunday during a rare snowstorm. Now it’s snowing moderately here in St Paul. Roads becoming covered almost instantly. About 3” on the ground.

Hadn’t looked at a model run in 7 days. Reading through the last few pages of this thread has provided some great morning entertainment.

Welcome back home!  Glad you had a good trip on the other side of the pond.

• Like 1

There was a solid 4-8" of LES across the NW flow favored belts of SWMI, mainly from the west side of Kzoo to the lakeshore, with the jackpot zone in the classical ~20 mile stretch from just east of Hartford to Oshtemo. It was still hazard flasher driving conditions at 6:30 last evening. Sharp cut-off as is often the case from W side of Kzoo to the E side. Today's event looks to flip that around nicely. Have current depth about 4" in mby, hoping to double that by the morning..

• Like 1

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 53.1" (90% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.3 Apr: 0.1

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = 53.1" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

Currently @ 14F and cloudy. Snow is knocking on my doorstep.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

There was a solid 4-8" of LES across the NW flow favored belts of SWMI, mainly from the west side of Kzoo to the lakeshore, with the jackpot zone in the classical ~20 mile stretch from just east of Hartford to Oshtemo. It was still hazard flasher driving conditions at 6:30 last evening. Sharp cut-off as is often the case from W side of Kzoo to the E side. Today's event looks to flip that around nicely. Have current depth about 4" in mby, hoping to double that by the morning..

At least someone is scoring on the snow!  I gotta ask you, but how the heck do you manage to drive all those miles each and every day to and from work?  You must have thousands of miles on your car from all those trips.

Yeah you can't really make any hasty conclusions after one suite of model runs. They all feed off the same data so 00z GFS and Euro being ridgy doesn't mean too much. It's when they start being consistent that we pay attention.

Did anyone notice on Gary's blog that he now is using the late Oct GL's bomb (Oct 24th) and comparing it to the Dec 10th pattern??? Wait a minute, he used that same late Oct storm for the early Dec Blitz (Dec 4th-5th)! If you don't believe me, go back to his archives and check out his Dec 4th post. He clearly used it and said it is roughly a 42 day cycle (centered around 45 days). I have my doubts, but that's just my 2 cents. I'm a Big believe that there is a clear 30-day harmonic and it's showing up again around Christmas eve, more so than it did in late November when the west coast ridge ended up being much stronger.

Regarding the potential late weekend system (17th/18th), the 30-day harmonic shines again as there was a juicy storm system that formed in the same position the modeling is suggesting for it to come out of the southern Plains with somewhat of a subtropical connection. Back on Nov 17th-18th, there was much more blocking and that is not happening this go-around with a + AO, although, there may be some room there (albeit it marginal) for some snow on the northern periphery of the southern wave.

He can't do it in years like this one. That's the question of the 1917-18, 1978-79, 1983-84 types. LRC doesn't work on them. Not until it's already past winter.

I love how to some of you getting an average winter in Nebraska is too much to ask for. You get guys like money who do this all the time

All I’m saying is don’t be a hypocrite

Complain when the models don’t show anything yet when they do it’s « it won’t happen anyways »

Constant whining is stupid

• Like 2