June Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Geos

Historically speaking, these Plains death ridges don’t morph into west coast ridges. They rely on completely different forcings/boundary conditions, which actually oppose one another. It would require highly coincidental timing between changes peripheral forcings for such a progression to occur. It’s not impossible, though.

Often times, the GFS/GEFS succumbs to its excessive parameterization schemes, especially after truncation. In a neutral setting of extrapolation, the GFS/GEFS will almost always build western ridging during the warm season. It’s a heat/moisture/terrain feedback that other long range models, like the EPS weekly extrapolations. also tend to suffer from.

I think a more likely outcome, when looking for a return to western ridging, is a weakening of the Plains/4-corners death ridge in conjunction with rising heights across the far NW-Pacific and troughing south of the Aleutians.

Until the pattern upstream changes, it will be difficult to maintain any kind of western ridging.

12Z GFS is actually the best solution for the 4th... the WRF shows almost totally sunny skies that day with highs in the mid to upper 70s.

I would much rather have the ECMWF in my court over the GFS though.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Very possible he won't be able to outrun this one.

Seem unlikely... even if there is a band of rain rotating through eastern WA it would still be warm and go back to sunny much more quickly.    That is what the ECMWF shows.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Check out this awesome new feature on WxModels.com

https://lab.weathermodels.com/models/almanac/temperature.php

Map of average highs/lows for all 365 individual days across the country. Could be other things added too, like precip, dewpoint, cloud cover, etc.

• Like 2

The average high on July 4th across the PNW lowlands is in the lower 70s.

So the model solutions, as they stand now, would actually be typical summer weather. The last five years were just a fluky aberration.

py7kHTP.png

And the average high for today (June 27) is just barely over 70 degrees in the Seattle area.

67Dmazu.png

So many on here seem to think 70 degree highs are abnormally cold. Lol. The last five years have spoiled the heat misers into complacency.

So the model solutions, as they stand now, would actually be typical summer weather. The last five years were just a fluky aberration.

py7kHTP.png

Low 70's North Sound area, mid 70's South Sound.  Mid-upper 70's for Clark county (Vancouver metro) & PDX metro, upper 70's to near 80 for Willamette valley....   And looks like mid- upper 60's to near 70 for coastal areas.

"Avoiding unwanted weather is a key element of happiness."

And the average high for today (June 27) is just barely over 70 degrees in the Seattle area.

67Dmazu.png

So many on here seem to think 70 degree highs are abnormally cold. Lol. The last five years have spoiled the heat misers into complacency.

Interesting maps for sure but it’s not exactly ground breaking stuff here. I think most of us have a very good grasp of our climatology.

Next we'll find out that our typical winter weather is filled with 40s and rain.

It's the year of the CZ's. GFS forms a pretty good one for late on the 2nd into the 3rd. Moistened it up from the 6z run.

gfs_apcpn_nwus_31.png

gfs_apcpn_nwus_32.png

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Interesting maps for sure but it’s not exactly ground breaking stuff here. I think most of us have a very good grasp of our climatology.

I was kind of joking, but in truth I’ve seen a lot of people complaining on days where high temperatures are literally right at average, with rhetoric like “now we’re due for highs in the 80s” and other nonsense like that.

67Dmazu.png

That map says 73 for the Seattle area.  In an area such as this where they're in short supply, every degree of warmth matters.... 

Big difference between 'just barely over 70', and 73....  ;)

• Like 1

Dude... a trough along the West Coast is a given on the 4th now.

Devil is the details.   Many runs have shown highs in the mid to upper 70s and sunny for that day between ULLs inside a broad trough.  

High on the 4th at SEA in 2016 was 69.   

Also... 71 in 2013 and 75 in 2014 and 78 in 2017

We are well aware of climo.   Its not like its been in the 90s every year on the 4th.   

2015 was the exception.

If you average the 4th of July in 2013, 2014, 2016, and 2017... it comes to 73.25 at SEA.    In other words... 4 of the last 5 years have averaged almost exactly normal on that day.   Not a fluky aberration.   

I was kind of joking, but in truth I’ve seen a lot of people complaining on days where high temperatures are literally right at average, with rhetoric like “now we’re due for highs in the 80s” and other nonsense like that.

It's not nonsense. We also have many days with highs in the 60s like today (and likely for the next several days).  So the law averages says 80s are also common to arrive at an average in the 70s.

Just math.

Your trolling is becoming less intelligent lately.

Yeah!! I am pretty much freaking out on the inside, but my outward persona is Dewey Calm... NOT!!!  :wacko:  :unsure:

A logistic nightmare on sooo many levels... :(  AND what to do with this??

attachicon.gifIMG_0631.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0632.jpg

lol, there's a firework called active shooter..  It's been ages since I've been to a fireworks stand, is this new?  I foresee problems of some sort with this one...  :rolleyes:

Cloud deck incoming. WeatherMate shows rain in the coast range.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

lol, there's a firework called active shooter.. It's been ages since I've been to a fireworks stand, is this new? I foresee problems of some sort with this one... :rolleyes:

The Chinese are pretty savvy on American culture.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Everyone I spoke with in Eastern Washington today complained about how chilly it has been over there so far this season.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth!