January 2019 Weather in the Pacific Northwest

Requiem

EPS keeps the arctic air largely cutoff from NA thru week 2. Finally some signs of the cold dumping into the east during week 3 as the west coast ridge amplifies over western NA

FWIW, the GEFS shows much of North America getting cold before that (referring to the 360 hour map of the EPS).

gfs-ens_T850a_namer_49.png

A forum for the end of the world.

Makes sense, since the tropically-forced Aleutian Low/+PNA/+TNH pattern that produced those warm winters (the pattern was driven by the northward broadening of the warm pool/ITCZ convection) is also what caused the blob.

Obviously, the blob is not responsible those changes in the deep tropics. The tail doesn’t wag the dog like that.

Yep. Like I said it’s more of a symptom than a driver. Aside from perhaps borderline negligible local effects.

• Like 2

Was looking great for here now what we have is drizzle. This winter is a real letdown.

I have found the wind and rain storms somewhat interesting to track at least. But it’s been totally void of any continental air. Victoria Gonzales hasnt even had a sub 32F temp yet.
  • Like 1

I am actually not a fan of hot summers just like the marine layer/fog days minimized. I don’t mind some days like that here and there but not the full on June gloom. Petty concerns really, in general I love the northwest weather other than wouldn’t mind a little more dynamic weather here and there. Probably wouldn’t live anywhere else weather wise as we are a short drive to really any weather we want.

I hear you on the marine layer. One of the reasons why I dislike the marine layer so much is that during May and June we aren't able to take advantage of the longer daylight hours. We all know June 21 is the Summer solstice. However May 1 has more daylight than anything August 11 and beyond. It just seems like a waste of not taking advantage of the sunlight. I'd even root for a cool and wet September if we could constantly get sunny weather May to August.

Yea. It’s just been a steady diet of cold dry winters since 2013!

16-17 was close to being a pretty solid winter most places. The waters of the NE pacific we’re pretty chilly that winter.

For whatever it’s worth our winters have generally been pretty mild and wet since the blob thing started. With hot and dry warm seasons. Worst of both worlds!

That's what I'm saying, the "Blob" more or less doesn't have that much effect on our Winter weather. I was using the example of 13-14 where that blob was evident and we scored 2 Arctic Blast. That doesn't happen often.

That's what I'm saying, the "Blob" more or less doesn't have that much effect on our Winter weather. I was using the example of 13-14 where that blob was evident and we scored 2 Arctic Blast. That doesn't happen often.

It had a lot of effect on our winter weather.  Not so much in the overall patterns, but it definitely warmed up the systems that came into the NW.  2013 was a very rare year without a white Christmas in Leavenworth.  I would read the AFD's from Spokane, and time after time after time the systems came in way warmer than the models and what the 500mb pattern would have predicted.  The meteorologists in Spokane had to adjust their temps upward by several degrees after they realized what was going on.  They mentioned the blob quite a few times.  

In the overall scheme of things, not a big deal, but several degrees difference in temps made a huge difference in the sensible weather.  

42* with scat'd showers here. Rain kind of broke up after that initial burst this morning. 0.05" so far.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

It's nearly a full on blizzard at my place right now. Temp is 25.7f and gusts up to 30. The snow is microscopic, but still snowing. Best event of the season a thus far. Accumulation won't amount to much, but the howling winds aloft while snow is falling is quite surreal.

• Like 4

I hear you on the marine layer. One of the reasons why I dislike the marine layer so much is that during May and June we aren't able to take advantage of the longer daylight hours. We all know June 21 is the Summer solstice. However May 1 has more daylight than anything August 11 and beyond. It just seems like a waste of not taking advantage of the sunlight. I'd even root for a cool and wet September if we could constantly get sunny weather May to August.

Over here in far eastern wa during summer, temps soar into the 90's on a regular basis yet reguarly fall into the low 60s at nighttime. There's something to be said about falling asleep with the windows open listening to the insects sing while a cool breeze flows through your house. It's the stuff that makes dealing with the daytime temps bearable...

• Like 2

These lucky people have severe thunderstorm warnings, blizzard warnings, and high wind warnings all in effect simultaneously.

cn7GeOR.jpg

• Like 1

Fun fact: Portland gets more sun, both in terms of hours and percentage possible, than San Diego in May and June.

Having a few days of rain in May is good. Last May my nose was running for three weeks because of the lack of rain causing pollen to build up, and this normally doesn’t happen.

• Like 1

You know it's been a slow winter when blob debates are reignited in January.

And when we keep posting model runs over 300 hours that have about .1% chance of verifying. UNLESS they show climo, then they are likely to occur in our new global warming climate. ;)

It's nearly a full on blizzard at my place right now. Temp is 25.7f and gusts up to 30. The snow is microscopic, but still snowing. Best event of the season a thus far. Accumulation won't amount to much, but the howling winds aloft while snow is falling is quite surreal.

Would love some of that right now! Enjoy the moment

• Like 1

Started raining, nice evening. Almost all of the leftover snow in the yard is gone. Just patches of slush near where we park the vehicles.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

I did! Still in the box unfortunately since I haven’t had time to even figure out where I need to put it.

NICE!!!  I m curious how this compares to like Davis and others?  I currently have a average LaCross system but ready to update. Looks like a great system. Interested in anyones experience or thoughts on these?

Would love some of that right now! Enjoy the moment

Thanks! It happens a couple times per winter here. Idk about Spokane proper, but at my mountainous locale, it's fairly common. The topography allows for some pretty dynamic weather. My specific location benefits from Isentropic lift. It's crazy, lake Roosevelt is a mile (as the crow flies) to my west. There can be a dusting of snow at the river w/temps in the low 30s and my house will have nearly a foot of snow with temps in the low teens. It's absolutely incredible.

Edit: I might add my home is 700 feet above the water @ lake Roosevelt. Considering that plus the warmer water playing a role, it's no wonder my house gets hammered w/snow.

• Like 2

And when we keep posting model runs over 300 hours that have about .1% chance of verifying. UNLESS they show climo, then they are likely to occur in our new global warming climate. ;)

Dude your tune is going to change tremendously once you move to the Spokane area. It's one to thing to know the differences between climates in Seattle vs Spokane....it's another to experience it. When everyone on this forum is getting 45 degree rain and Spokane is getting hammered with 20 degree blizzard like conditions, it has a tendency to peak one's curiosity...

• Like 3

Dude your tune is going to change tremendously once you move to the Spokane area. It's one to thing to know the differences between climates in Seattle vs Spokane....it's another to experience it. When everyone on this forum is getting 45 degree rain and Spokane is getting hammered with 20 degree blizzard like conditions, it has a tendency to peak one's curiosity...

So true! Here is a live view of my soon to be new home (Spokane, WA)... I can hardly wait!! :)  :D  :wub:  :wub:  :)

Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 4.38.18 PM.png

• Like 3

Thanks! It happens a couple times per winter here. Idk about Spokane proper, but at my mountainous locale, it's fairly common. The topography allows for some pretty dynamic weather. My specific location benefits from Isentropic lift. It's crazy, lake Roosevelt is a mile (as the crow flies) to my west. There can be a dusting of snow at the river w/temps in the low 30s and my house will have nearly a foot of snow with temps in the low teens. It's absolutely incredible.

Edit: I might add my home is 700 feet above the water @ lake Roosevelt. Considering that plus the warmer water playing a role, it's no wonder my house gets hammered w/snow.

You are in the sweet spot! Don’t ever move

If I ever get another house will definitely be looking at how the location handles winters!

Anyone not moving to Spokane in the near future?

I apparently moved to the wrong city!

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Sounds like an incredible location. 

I like the trend in the models. Will at least be interesting to actually track some real arctic air entering the lower 48 and possibly even into the NW beginning around the 20th.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history