February 2019 Weather Observations and Discussion Part 2

snow_wizard

Going out to eat dinner with some friends. See you all later.

Hope you return to some good news :(

• Like 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

I think that chehalis north will be prime, I just don’t think the models are gonna take the low from landing in brookings OR to Forks WA in like 18 hours haha but we all thought February 11th was gonna be a slam dunk and it didn’t fully come to be

• Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

I think that chehalis north will be prime, I just don’t think the models are gonna take the low from landing in brookings OR to Forks WA in like 18 hours haha but we all thought February 11th was gonna be a slam dunk and it didn’t fully come to be

Chehalis south should probably expect cold rain with the way this is going.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

you never know

GFS already seems to have a northward trend to it, so....

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

Portland could get a surprise ice storm with enough Gorge outflow.

Fingers crossed!

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

No idea how... but the MM5 NAM is completely different than the NAM and has everything so far north that even Seattle is too warm by Monday morning.

Again... just looking for trends.   Looking at all models for trends... even if they are garbage they still tend to trend in one direction or another and that is more information. 

What is comical is that the MM5 NAM is totally different than the NAM itself and not sure how that happens.   

snow3.84.0000.gif

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

No idea how... but the MM5 NAM is completely different than the NAM and has everything so far north that even Seattle is too warm by Monday morning.

Again... just looking for trends.   Looking at all models for trends... even if they are garbage they still tend to trend in one direction or another and that is more information. 

What is comical is that the MM5 NAM is totally different than the NAM itself and not sure how that happens.   

snow3.84.0000.gif

Alright, this time I'm not so concerned, it's just the MM5. You are right about the trends though.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

Okay, I'm not getting my hopes up cause I'm probably seeing things, but the GFS might have shifted the low pressure system a notch south,

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

GFS actually looks like it trending south.   

I will celebrate if I am wrong about this northward trend.    You will not have to mock me because I be all over that myself and love it.    :lol:

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

South trend on gfs.

So, maybe I'm not seeing things?

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

Portland could get a surprise ice storm with enough Gorge outflow.

Yuck.  I hate ice storms...mainly because I have big trees around my house.  We had some ice with the event that brought the epic snow to North Bend, and it made the usual mess.  It is pretty interesting that I've had rain, snow, graupel, freezing rain, and sleet this month.  Nicely rounded for sure!

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

snow3.84.0000.gif

The NAM MM5 is atrocious.  On the first round of cold that hit that model spit out a high in the low 40s on the day it was in the 20s during the afternoon.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The NAM MM5 is atrocious.  On the first round of cold that hit that model spit out a high in the low 40s on the day it was in the 20s during the afternoon.

Yeah... its really bad.   The only reason I ever look at it is for trends.

The GFS MOS has been terrible this month as well... way worse than normal.    It did not even recognize the snow event and cold last week.   It just plugged along with mid 40s every day.   Its normally decent... way better than the operational GFS output.   But it seemingly is not programmed to even recognize that this pattern is happening.  

The good news for Seattle with a further south track on Monday is the fact it means the cold air is more entrenched.  Hopefully we will get ours on Sunday morning.  Right now I'm going 1 to 4 inches for the EPSL at that time.  I reserve the right to change this though.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

About as acrimonious a north/south divide over the path of a low as I’ve ever seen here. Except for some northern saints like SnowWizard and Snowmizer who are being pretty cool about the whole thing. And the new guy from Tacoma.

Definitely nice to see the 00z GFS trend south, though. Any sort of trend like that at this juncture is pretty important to see if Portland hopes to get anything.

• Like 3

About as acrimonious a north/south divide over the path of a low as I’ve ever seen here. Except for some northern saints like SnowWizard and Snowmizer who are being pretty cool about the whole thing. And the new guy from Tacoma.

Definitely nice to see the 00z GFS trend south, though. Any sort of trend like that at this juncture is pretty important to see if Portland hopes to get anything.

Lynnwood and points north.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Shut up.

Vancouver B. C to Redding.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

00z FV3 trended way south as well and it was the first model to trend aggressively north.