2/23 - 2/24 Central Plains/Midwest Blizzard

Tom

Just f'n stop this crap already, guys.  If you don't like Craig, ignore him.  I'm sick of having to read through this petty BS.

Best way to do that is to ignore all NE posters. There's a few good ones, but they're always the first to whine when a storm misses them and they never stop talking about snow when they get any. I understand doing this sometimes, but every time with these people. Then again if I lived in NE I'd be pretty miserable too.

• Like 1

2.7" on patio table. Huge fatties. Wind is just starting to kick in a bit.

10-15 miles to your south, barely anything is falling.  Same thing just east/southeast of Ames.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Best way to do that is to ignore all NE posters. There's a few good ones, but they're always the first to whine when a storm misses them and they never stop talking about snow when they get any. I understand doing this sometimes, but every time with these people. Then again if I lived in NE I'd be pretty miserable too.

Many of us nebraskans have waited a long time for this type of storm. Sorry if you’re getting rain but no need to dog anywhere someone calls home. I have family in Madison but I wouldn’t trade it for what I have here in Omaha. Best of luck to you all as the storm races on!

• Like 5

I am pretty happy living here actually... maybe I don’t know any better but I am sure the place you live has to be the “best place on Earth” to live in your mind... when it isn’t that much better than the rest of the Midwest.

I have been to Wisconsin several times, and wasn’t that impressed outside of the great Wisconsin beer.

• Like 3

10-15 miles to your south, barely anything is falling. Same thing just east/southeast of Ames.

Here in Waterloo there’s about an inch of slush. It’s either raining again or more likely teeny tiny flakes. Hard to tell without going outside. And I’m cozy inside- so that’s not happening right now

But I've seen you complain too. Along with a lot of other posters not from here. Not saying there's anything wrong with that, but you can't just mini-mod a specific group of people because they hurt your feelings by posting the way they want.

Or did you ignore me because you don't like my honest observations?

• Like 2

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

I would not have complained if this storm nailed Cedar Rapids, but today I've actually enjoyed watching the snowstorm from afar, knowing I finally get a break from blowing and shoveling.  Today's rain also has me ready for thunderstorm/heavy rain season.

I agree with that. Nice break from seemingly endless shoveling and snowplowing. But I do hope that we can still add on to our snowfall total for this winter, and it seems like we will. 

I wonder if we may get more snow tonight than currently forecast based on the radar, but I am not really expecting more than an inch here. 

• Like 1

Snow has ended here in gretna, storm total here I'm going with after walking half a block to measure (was too protected where I had been measuring) is 13"

Man I'm jealous of you! You got it all today. Thunder, the heaviest bands, and 13". Congrats!

• Like 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

true blizzard conditions now in Dallas CTY my wife says. Intermitternt power flashes. Vis 1/8. and we live on the edge of a suburb - but the rural area is just 1/2 mile to our west. S side of home is covered in a candy coating of encrusted snow and only does in true blizzard condtions. I wish I was down- would rip it in posi in the country....

• Like 2

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

A bit surprised at how nonchalant OAX is being about the blowing snow threat tomorrow morning. We could still see 30mph+ gusts during the day, which I feel warrants an advisory for blowing snow considering this snow is light enough to be tossed around like a toy.

• Like 2

Wife says if she was in the country - you would need to tie a rope to each other - if you venture away from a structure or wind break. Much like the Childrens Blizzard--- Wind is deafening according to her.

• Like 4

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Was out this afternoon, so just getting caught up a bit. Congrats to the Neb and Iowa peeps who got nailed good! 

This from my office:

.DISCUSSION...(This evening through next Saturday)
Issued at 330 PM EST Sat Feb 23 2019

Rapid cyclogenesis will occur late today through Sunday as a
998 mb sfc low currently over southeastern Kansas strengthens to
around 972 mb in a position between Sault St Marie and James Bay
early Sunday evening. As noted by our previous shift this strong
of a sfc low will rival the historic fall storms like the 1998
storm, the Fitzgerald storm of 1975 and the Armistice Day storm of

Discussed here on SMI forum that this is extremely unique for Feb, a storm taking the usual Nov bomb track!

• Like 1

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 53.1" (90% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.3 Apr: 0.1

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = 53.1" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

The rain is done here.  My total is a very nice 1.42", on top of the deep snowpack.  Over the next hour the wind will pick up suddenly and the temp will fall below freezing.  All the puddles will freeze and won't melt for the next couple weeks.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"