July 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

Happy October 17th everyone!

Note: The dead grass on the left was from the owner spraying roundup. Hopefully he is up to date on his testicular cancer insurance.

Does it really feel like Oct 17 though? Surely the temps could be more early September rather than smack middle of Fall.

• Like 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Does it really feel like Oct 17 though? Surely the temps could be more early September rather than smack middle of Fall.

Currently 59 degrees...so possibly!
  • Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

We had a high of 74 at PDX. That’s a pretty warm day by mid-October standards and would be very difficult to achieve in mid-October with this level of cloud cover.

• Like 1

Well, first I didn't say it's been sunny every weekend. I just gave the precip stats for SEA. Even Tim agreed the timing for nice weather on the weekends has been pretty good.

Second, just because that project hasn't gotten done doesn't mean those weekends were "washouts". The article made it clear that any moisture at all prevents the work from happening.

I was more responding to this quote: "Despite all your whining, the timing has been pretty good for weekend weather this summer.".  The weekends were not washouts, I was just quoting the article when they said they were washed out those weekends.

I agree with most everything you say I am just trying to provide some insight into some of the complaints from folks up north as I can see why some would complain even though I have been enjoying it (outside of some of the humidity which is nothing compared to the rest of the US).

This is definitely the rainiest/cloudiest start to July I can remember (which I will take any day over heatwaves).  For a few years there we were getting more rain with fewer rainy days and this year it has switched to less rain with more rainy days.

Ended up with 0.12" on the day, up to nearly an inch of rain for the month so far. We had legitimate drizzle mid-day today, haven't seen that in awhile, yet it still was sunny and 70F by 4pm. If there's any silver lining to the impending death ridge it's that the days are quickly shortening and the evaporation won't be as bad as it would have been over the past month.

Rain stopped for a bit this afternoon but picked up again about an hour ago and has been pouring rain here now for about 20 minutes.

• Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Poured hard earlier! We had 0.13” before up to 0.35” now so we got 0.22” here. Wettest day in awhile there was actually some minor flooding going on it was raining so hard which hasn’t happened in awhile.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Might be another shot of rain next week if this trend continues:

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_nwus_31.png

we’re up to 0.96” of rain on the month already would make it a pretty wet July.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Ended up with 0.12" on the day, up to nearly an inch of rain for the month so far. We had legitimate drizzle mid-day today, haven't seen that in awhile, yet it still was sunny and 70F by 4pm. If there's any silver lining to the impending death ridge it's that the days are quickly shortening and the evaporation won't be as bad as it would have been over the past month.

Just 0.07” here. Also near 1” on the month. Still about 0.25” less tha July 2016. Was a pretty sunny late afternoon and evening

It is interesting to see the colored temp maps and the warmer areas around the metropolitan areas with red bullseyes in the city centers. As much as a 10deg difference from rural to city areas.

Actually... that is related to geography and not UHI right now.   And SW flow ahead of a developing c-zone.   In other words... even with no cities that temperature map would look similar tonight.   And there is a clearly malfunctioning station reporting 78.

And there is not much development around Westport or Mt. Rainier or in the central Cascades.    ;)

UHI is much more noticeable when its clear and calm.   It is the complete opposite of that tonight.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Wasn’t expecting more than 0.10-0.15” with the shadowing off the Olympics today. Ended up getting 0.22” in an hour this evening. way overachieved on precip.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Actually... that is related to geography and not UHI right now. And SW flow ahead of a developing c-zone. In other words... even with no cities that temperature map would look similar tonight. And there is a clearly malfunctioning station reporting 78.

And there is not much development around Westport or Mt. Rainier or in the central Cascades. ;)

UHI is much more noticeable when its clear and calm. It is the complete opposite of that tonight.

i have seen it like that many other times and that area between Everett and Bellingham is much more rural than between Everett and Olympia. Late evening just after sunset is when I see the largest discrepancies.

i have seen it like that many other times and that area between Everett and Bellingham is much more rural than between Everett and Olympia. Late evening just after sunset is when I see the largest discrepancies.

Yeah... but none of that applies tonight with a large system moving through and wind and rain.     All of that essentially nullifies UHI.    

And there is an actual front moving southward as well. 

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

There is no large system moving through tonight.

Definitely not... typical July evening.

Classic radiational cooling and UHI set up.

20190717-234011.jpg

Yeah GFS is finally lining up with the Euro. Kind of expected that this would happen at some point.

00Z ECMWF has Portland in the mid 90s by late next week. Way warmer than the GFS.

What a day, the daylight accumulation was insane for mid July, no darkness at all until night fall... oh wait, that is normal

You seem really set on proving that there is only day and night.     There is no difference in light on different days.   Obviously even a toddler can understand that some days are much darker than other days.

And of course it was actually very dark for July today in many places and you know this... or you lack the basic understanding of a toddler.  Not sure which. 

518vc00252-1.jpg

Looks hot at day 9, but it looked pretty hot for this weekend several days ago too.

Actually... this weekend looked much cooler just a few day ago. It has steadily improved over the last 3 or 4 days.

On Sunday... I told my wife that this coming weekend looked cloudy and maybe wet based on the ECMWF run that morning. Now its going to be either side of 80 and totally sunny here.

You seem really set on proving that there is only day and night. There is no difference in light on different days. Obviously even a toddler can understand that some days are much darker than other days.

And of course it was actually very dark for July today in many places and you know this... or you lack the basic understanding of a toddler. Not sure which.

518vc00252-1.jpg

That web cam even shows it light out, I am not the one with the issue.

As someone who lives in the same micro-climate, I really don't think it's been too bad. The huckleberry and salmon berry seasons have been far longer than the last few years and the berries taste far better. With this precipitation, I bet blackberry season will be FAR better than the last few years too. The lake is fuller than it has been in July the last few years. The grass is green, the plants are happy, and my water bill is subsequently lower. With cooler weather, the busy spots of the valley have been noticeably less busy. I've rarely had to lather up my 2-year old with sunscreen. Local outdoor activities, like riding down the SVT, hiking the middle fork, or mountain biking, are largely uninterrupted by clouds. And the nights have been pleasantly warm (but not hot), in part due to the cloud cover.

Myself, my wife, and most of my friends grew up in WA and we've all noted that this summer brings back fond memories of the summers of our childhood. It's just...comfortable out. Not hot but not cold either. Yes it's been cloudier than usual out here but the next week looks like classic late-July sunny PNW.

Thank you for this.

[b[My 70-year old neighbor who was born and raised in North Bend said yesterday that this summer has been cloudier than any year that he can remember.[/b] Anecdotal of course... just like childhood memories of specific events and days. ;)

I also suspect that the fall colors will be absolutely brilliant this year.

Another 70yr old neighbor that has lived in the PNW his entire life yet despises clouds as much as you and agrees with everything you say? You sure have a lot of those in your neighborhood. ;)

IIRC you said something like this in 2016 (IE: the last summer that wasn’t historically hot/ridgy 24/7).