August 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

Omegaraptor

Really humid for this desert climate today. Relatively speaking of course Phil, but to have it stay in low 70’s most of the night and rh to be around 70 was really unpleasant to sleep in. I woke up and turned in the ac. Then it t-stormed this morning around 9 and it felt like I was in a shower at home. Bring me fall already and the lala land snow chances.

• Like 1

Really humid for this desert climate today. Relatively speaking of course Phil, but to have it stay in low 70’s most of the night and rh to be around 70 was really unpleasant to sleep in. I woke up and turned in the ac. Then it t-stormed this morning around 9 and it felt like I was in a shower at home. Bring me fall already and the lala land snow chances.

No need to justify it, brother. We can both agree humidity sucks, irrespective of the technicalities. ;)

No need to justify it, brother. We can both agree humidity sucks, irrespective of the technicalities. ;)

Agreed. Humidity is worse than eating a bag of dicks. I've been to DC 3 times and it was always during the summer. It's hard to describe to people that haven't experienced it how awful it can be. Hope you can get out of there soon.

• Like 2

Wow what a day here, lots of thunder both distant and some close rumbles. Saw a few strikes out to the west from Tacoma. Main story has been the very heavy rain the last hour, up to 0.40” on the day and still coming down!

• Like 2

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Wow what a day here, lots of thunder both distant and some close rumbles. Saw a few strikes out to the west from Tacoma. Main story has been the very heavy rain the last hour, up to 0.40” on the day and still coming down!

Nice!

Glad to see the models were correct in showing the additional development this afternoon after the morning activity faded away to the south.

Nothing at all here... no rain yet and no distance lightning or thunder.    It was actually partly to mostly sunny for much of the day.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Nice!

Glad to see the models were correct in showing the additional development this afternoon after the morning activity faded away to the south.

Nothing at all here... no rain yet and no distance lightning or thunder. It was actually partly to mostly sunny for much of the day.

Yeah models seem to have done a decent job. Hasn’t been any thunder since about 5:30pm here but we’ve gotten 0.43” now since about 6pm, up to 1.49” for August.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Pretty decent onshore push here now. Should help to stabilize things and make sure we just see some plain old rain showers tonight

There's almost no wind here now, getting some showers stretching into Victoria now; the radar looks more impressive to the west. Looks like a bit of rotation around that thing, deformation band forming.

Some historical perspective on what Dorian could bring.

The Weather Channel @weatherchannel

If the current forecast for #Dorian is correct, the United States will have three straight years with a major #hurricane landfall (Category 3 or stronger). That hasn't happened in nearly 60 years

xMY1Mdk.jpg

https://mobile.twitter.com/weatherchannel/status/1167234593822576640

• Like 1

Down to 61F. Another beautiful day yesterday. More of the same and lots of CFB this weekend!

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Always great to see 1949-50 show up.

Philip Klotzbach @philklotzbach

#HurricaneDorian is forecast to make landfall in FL as a Category 4. It would be 3rd year in a row w/ Cat. 4+ FL hurricane landfall. FL has had Cat. 4 hurricane landfalls in 3+ consecutive years once on record (since 1851). Cat. 4 #hurricanes made landfall each year from 1947-50

Hurricane Irma made landfall in the Florida Keys as a Category 4 in 2017 and Michael as a Category 5 in the Florida Panhandle in 2018.

Four category 4 hurricanes made landfall in south Florida from 1947 - 1950. There was also a Category 4 landfall in south Florida in 1945.

https://mobile.twitter.com/philklotzbach/status/1167421615954526208

Always great to see 1949-50 show up.

#HurricaneDorian is forecast to make landfall in FL as a Category 4. It would be 3rd year in a row w/ Cat. 4+ FL hurricane landfall. FL has had Cat. 4 hurricane landfalls in 3+ consecutive years once on record (since 1851). Cat. 4 #hurricanes made landfall each year from 1947-50

Hurricane Irma made landfall in the Florida Keys as a Category 4 in 2017 and Michael as a Category 5 in the Florida Panhandle in 2018.

Four category 4 hurricanes made landfall in south Florida from 1947 - 1950. There was also a Category 4 landfall in south Florida in 1945.

https://mobile.twitter.com/philklotzbach/status/1167421615954526208

5 Category 4 #hurricanes made landfall in South Florida between 1945-1950. #HurricaneDorian

A9jVOJ8.png

https://mobile.twitter.com/philklotzbach/status/1167424596401766400

• Like 1

Why in the hell are we discussing a SE hurricane in a NW thread?

Because it is the will of Landru ..... are you not of the body?

For me, I enjoy discussing weather of any kind wherever. It’s feeds my knowledge base as well as feeds my passion for trying to understand our environment.

• Like 3