September 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

Requiem

I’m putting everyone and the weather on ignore.

#ultimatecontrol

#keepthinskinintact

You are going to miss out on all of my dogs in snow pics this season!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

I’m putting everyone and the weather on ignore.

#ultimatecontrol

#keepthinskinintact

Nothing says thick skinned like getting incredibly hot and bothered over someone’s decision that doesn’t even affect you!

So I miss some oversaturated yard pics and troll attempts. Makes for a more enjoyable forum experience for me, and probably keeps this place more peaceful overall. Maybe that’s why you don’t like it. ;)

Nothing says thick skinned like getting incredibly hot and bothered over someone’s decision that doesn’t even affect you! :)

So I miss some oversaturated yard pics and troll attempts. Makes for a more enjoyable forum experience for me, and probably keeps this place more peaceful overall. Maybe that’s why you don’t like it. ;)

#thinskin response

And nothing has changed or will change. You will still see everything anwyays. But now you have to refrain from responding to maintain the ruse. ;) ;)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Also sea surface temperatures in New York City are about 71 F right now. Cape Hatteras was about 78 F. Southern California is currently low to mid 70s. Regardless of sea surface temperatures the Pacific High and the subsidence inversion would still make it hard for a hurricane to hit Southern California. In 2006 the sea surface temperatures reached 80 F off the coast for a while here.

It's happened:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1858_San_Diego_hurricane

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1939_California_tropical_storm

• Like 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

Impressive how the Gulf Stream is holding Dorian together despite strong NWerly shear and mid-level dry air intrusion.

If conditions were more favorable aloft, it’s a good bet Dorian would be a Cat3 right now. Easy to see how New Jersey could have been struck by a Cat4 in the 19th century.

eIzLQDT.jpg

Headed right for Nova Scotia now.

National Hurricane Center @NHC_Atlantic

NEW: The Canadian Hurricane Centre @ECCC_CHC has issued Hurricane Warnings for a large part of Nova Scotia, with Hurricane Watches for Prince Edward Island and southwestern Newfoundland.

4DcQVQr.png

https://mobile.twitter.com/NHC_Atlantic/status/1170052132965216257

• Like 1

Looking good for a nice soaking over the next couple weeks.

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Just took advantage of this last sunny day by taking a run. Kinda am hoping it comes back later in the month instead of the door closing all the way so soon. But the rain is very welcomed the lawn has finally turned brown the last couple weeks.

When was the last time it started raining in early September and never stopped?

Sunny days and ridgy periods will ALWAYS come back, probably many many of them considering how early it is in the season. Wouldn’t worry too much about it. It is our default weather after all. ;)

It was showing wind speeds of over 100 for Canada in the models, but hopefully this is in km/h.

Also sea surface temperatures in New York City are about 71 F right now. Cape Hatteras was about 78 F. Southern California is currently low to mid 70s. Regardless of sea surface temperatures the Pacific High and the subsidence inversion would still make it hard for a hurricane to hit Southern California. In 2006 the sea surface temperatures reached 80 F off the coast for a while here.

Well, it’s about how close the warm waters are. The waters are clearly much colder off the coast of California than most of the east coast, and perhaps more importantly, the *subsurface* waters are even colder off the west coast, relatively speaking (which is pretty typical). The average peak in SSTs along the east coast is somewhere in the upper 80s from Florida to Charleston, and mid-80s from Wilmington to Hatteras. The inland tidal inlets from NC/VA up into the Chesapeake Bay usually peak in the mid/upper 80s given their shallow nature.

cdas-sflux_sst_global_1.png

• Like 1

This is a nice page for water temperature climatology, for anyone interested.

https://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/all_meanT.html

https://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/satl.html

To elaborate on the above, note how blowtorchy the coastal water temperature climatology is for much of the eastern seaboard versus California. Low/mid 80s from FL right up into the DE straits. Meanwhile the California waters are in the 60s/low 70s most of the summer.

dIwDIB9.jpg

Btw, it’s so stupid how far north the hot water extends along the east coast in Jul/Aug...The Chesapeake/Potomac waters are as warm as those in South Florida. Lol.

qWdBqG1.jpg

C2oPlBM.jpg

• Like 2

When was the last time it started raining in early September and never stopped?

Sunny days and ridgy periods will ALWAYS come back, probably many many of them considering how early it is in the season. Wouldn’t worry too much about it. It is our default weather after all. ;)

This year really just feels different.

Catalina eddies can sometimes pull up warmer water from the South, in contrast to the usual upwelling. This is why the water south of Pt Conception can be 10-15 degrees warmer than the water to the north of it. San Diego has seen dewpoints in the low level 70s at times recently, which is quite muggy for them.

• Like 1

63F and pleasant with beautiful moon, planets, and stars out. Lots of good ballgames tomorrow and the kiddos are over to close out the warm season.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Gfs keeps us fairly wet from this evening until Wednesday. Drys out for 24 hours then shows more rain next weekend. Would be interesting to see that verify. Could end up being a wet September if it verifies and we get more rain on the back end of this month, but it’s way too early to make that call.

• Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

I know it may be a little premature, but does anyone have an idea about Pacific storm frequency this winter and the Sierra snow pack next spring? Will it be a high snow year, or a low snow year?

Well the NPAC Jet (integrated from 20N to 60N) should be weaker than average this winter, but that doesn’t necessarily correlate to storm/snowpack conditions in the Sierras/SW US, since there are modes (STJ, etc) within the “NPAC Jet” framework that can produce down there.

Of course, if we somehow pull off a third consecutive winter with a SSW (which I’m leaning against for more than just statistical reasons) then my above forecast could be rendered moot. In all honesty, it just takes one big, fat wavebreak at the right time to f**k up an entire seasonal/winter forecast via the stratosphere.

• Like 1