September 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

Requiem

Could be a little breezy in certain places on Friday as offshore winds hit the area. Bellingham in particular could see some decent Fraser outflow gusts around 40mph and some breezy conditions through the sound (more like 20-30mph). My house gets hit pretty decently by north wind events as well.

Let's just say that's a little earlier in the season than I was expecting to experience my first Fraser outflow event as a Bellinghamster. If it is still clear after it calms down, I wouldn't be surprised if I see some frost.

It's called clown range for a reason.

Let's just say that's a little earlier in the season than I was expecting to experience my first Fraser outflow event as a Bellinghamster. If it is still clear after it calms down, I wouldn't be surprised if I see some frost.

My guess is that you’ll be seeing more of the Fraser valley winds this winter. I wish I could have been up in Bellingham this February for some of the outflow events. Crazy high NE winds, we had strong NE winds all the way down here on a couple of different occasions.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

There's a pretty interesting system for late September moving in today and tomorrow. A lot of early season (and monthly) cold and snowfall records could fall. Oh and it will dry out for a bit too. Can't we all just get along guys!

Says the fool who started the personal attacks based on a factual discussion of the recent wet weather.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Glad we are all engaged in productive adult conversation!

• Like 2

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

There's a pretty interesting system for late September moving in today and tomorrow. A lot of early season (and monthly) cold and snowfall records could fall. Oh and it will dry out for a bit too. Can't we all just get along guys!

I do want to take a drive up to the top of HWY 20 during this cold shot.
  • Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

I do want to take a drive up to the top of HWY 20 during this cold shot.

Rainy pass would be a nice spot to check out. I’m going to try to head up to Mt.Rainer when this comes through. Has been 6 months too long since I’ve seen snowflakes.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Glad we are all engaged in productive adult conversation!

Jesse took it into the gutter as usual.  

We are not allowed to report that its been unusually wet.   It offends him.   :rolleyes:

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

My guess is that you’ll be seeing more of the Fraser valley winds this winter.

The somewhat more exciting weather we tend to get up this way was, in fact, one factor in my deciding to move here. (Just one factor of many, and hardly the top one, but a factor nonetheless.) I've lived in Portland before and experienced the winds that can howl out of the Columbia Gorge; I expect the Fraser outflow events here will be similar.

The minus side to it all is that sometimes Bellingham gets too much cold air during these events for it to snow. We end up being squarely on the cold and dry side of things, with all the big snow action happening further to our south and west.

• Like 1

The somewhat more exciting weather we tend to get up this way was, in fact, one factor in my deciding to move here. (Just one factor of many, and hardly the top one, but a factor nonetheless.) I've lived in Portland before and experienced the winds that can howl out of the Columbia Gorge; I expect the Fraser outflow events here will be similar.

The minus side to it all is that sometimes Bellingham gets too much cold air during these events for it to snow. We end up being squarely on the cold and dry side of things, with all the big snow action happening further to our south and west.

Too much east winds drying out the atmosphere can happen. I would really love to live up in Bellingham some day, really close to Mt.Baker, San Juan’s, and Vancouver BC. Hope this winter delivers up there for you!

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Depends on where you live in Bellingham.

The airport and downtown get extremely windy with Fraser outflow... but its often much calmer around my parent's house north of Lake Whatcom and down through Sudden Valley.   

Says the fool who started the personal attacks based on a factual discussion of the recent wet weather.

A full-on ‘Tim’trum this morning.

• Like 2

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

No.

I just referenced Shawnigan's post about setting the record for consecutive days with rain.   The rest is BS from the usual suspects.  I am actually pretty happy today about the relatively drier weather ahead.    I like being at the end of an unusually wet period because there is often a reward coming.    :)

Depends on where you live in Bellingham.

The airport and downtown get extremely windy with Fraser outflow... but its often much calmer around my parent's house north of Lake Whatcom and down through Sudden Valley.   

I'm in the Cordata neighborhood (north of the mall), so I'm well-placed to get blasted during any outflow events.

• Like 1

No.

I just referenced Shawnigan's post about setting the record for consecutive days with rain.   The rest is BS from the usual suspects.  I am actually pretty happy today about the relatively drier weather ahead.     :)

J Law OK.gif

• Like 3

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Gfs looks dry after Friday with what looks like a better rain chance returning late next week. Decent break in the rain overall after a pretty wet September.

Regarding what was said earlier about the progression from May until now, I have to say it definitely has been unusual to go from a dry spring and have conditions get wetter and wetter as we went through the summer. This spring (astronomical spring) had 3.16” of rain. This summer (astronomical summer) had 5.28”. Pretty weird to see that.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

I referenced Shawnigan's post.

Jared chimed in to point out its been drier than normal over the last year.

I pointed out that its been wet since the start of July... and then a statistical discussion follows.

Jesse then launches the usual personal attacks whenever certain people report factual data on wet weather.    :rolleyes:

And the cycle continues!

Gfs looks dry after Friday with what looks like a better rain chance returning late next week. Decent break in the rain overall after a pretty wet September.

Regarding what was said earlier about the progression from May until now, I have to say it definitely has been unusual to go from a dry spring and have conditions get wetter and wetter as we went through the summer. This spring (astronomical spring) had 3.16” of rain. This summer (astronomical summer) had 5.28”. Pretty weird to see that.

It has been strange in that regard... but not as extreme here.

Using the Cedar Lake station:

Meteorological spring (MAM) - 18.06 inches

Meteorological summer (JJA) - 9.87 inches

I just read back over the last 2 pages.

Purely a factual and statistical discussion... until Jesse gets involved with his usual crap and makes it personal.    He talks a good game about elevating the discussion and not unfairly portraying people and their preferences... and then takes the discussion right into the gutter every time.       :rolleyes:

It has been strange in that regard... but not as extreme here.

Using the Cedar Lake station:

Meteorological spring (MAM) - 18.06 inches

Meteorological summer (JJA) - 9.87 inches

I know North Bend averages way more rain in the spring, but wow 6x more than Tacoma this year that’s pretty crazy. The difference here in Tacoma has been pretty interesting to see having the summer nearly double the springtime rainfall (astronomical calendar).

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

I know North Bend averages way more rain in the spring, but wow 6x more than Tacoma this year that’s pretty crazy. The difference here in Tacoma has been pretty interesting to see having the summer nearly double the springtime rainfall (astronomical calendar).

That is not technically North Bend... that is about 4 miles SE of North Bend at 1,500 feet.

March and May were very dry.   I believe March was the driest ever for that station... I remember craving rain that month!    But April was very wet... over 4 inches above normal and the 10th wettest April ever there.

Went from dumping rain at 8 a.m to quite sunny here now. That is my kind of front.

Yeah! Rain started around 4am and was wrapped up by 9am. Over a half inch in a 5hr period and now partly sunny! Which all fronts were like this!
  • Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

New Euro keeps things colder for longer next week.

Rain gets up into SW WA on Wednesday into Thursday on this run... but its dry from Seattle northward right through the end of the week and into the weekend.