October 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

62/36 nice day. Currently 44F and a few clouds.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

If it ends up being nats/yanks, I’ll be seriously torn since they’re my two favorite teams. F**k the Astros.

Looks like we may take more of a 1949 path (major ridging after a significant October cold period), but I'm not convinced yet.  We still have a cluster of ensemble members that want to keep it chilly.  We still have a legit shot at a quick hitting cold trough just before the ridging which would set the stage for cold nights during the period of ridging (assuming the ridge happens).  If we take the warmer path that would break the momentum of the recent cold regime and probably put off the notable cold this winter until the mid December to mid January time frame.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

It interesting to note that the February into early March pattern of persistent cold in the West and warm in the East lasted for about 6 weeks... about the same as this current pattern by time we get to next week.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

It interesting to note that the February into early March pattern of persistent cold in the West and warm in the East lasted for about 6 weeks... about the same as this current pattern by time we get to next week.

Yes I believe we talked about the persistence of weather patterns over the last year roughly. Same theme seems to be continuing and will probably continue throughout the winter. Could mean long dry sunny periods or long rainy periods. Probably also means if we get stuck in a snowy pattern, we could be dealing with another similar situation to February.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Yes I believe we talked about the persistence of weather patterns over the last year roughly. Same theme seems to be continuing and will probably continue throughout the winter. Could mean long dry sunny periods or long rainy periods. Probably also means if we get stuck in a snowy pattern, we could be dealing with another similar situation to February.

September saw warm and dry weather its first week. Then we saw about three weeks of mild and rainy followed by the last 2.5 weeks of colder, drier weather. And now we go into a stormy, rainy pattern that lasts about a week followed maybe by some ridging. It’s actually been pretty variable lately, which is normal. A lot different than the six weeks of unbroken cold in February and March.

• Like 2

A similar but weaker version of the persistent cold West and very warm East pattern that locked in last February.

With a couple periods of record shattering cold thrown in for good measure. Montana was ground zero for the record cold and snow last spring and recently.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

. I have noticed a correlation in similar patterns happening in pairs but I don’t think I have seen an extremely similar pattern happen more than back to back.

Nice chilly morning.  Got down to 39F now 46F.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

September saw warm and dry weather its first week. Then we saw about three weeks of mild and rainy followed by the last 2.5 weeks of colder, drier weather. And now we go into a stormy, rainy pattern that lasts about a week followed maybe by some ridging. It’s actually been pretty variable lately, which is normal. A lot different than the six weeks of unbroken cold in February and March.

Seems like patterns have been pretty consistent and streaky this year, stretching 3-6 weeks sometimes.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Out of the gates GFS 384

wet Halloween  :o

low of 41 earlier and foggy as well.

cleared out now

51*

Only goes out through 5 a.m. on Halloween currently.

At face value on this run... Halloween evening could end up being OK if you extrapolate the frontal passage in the early morning that day.  Stay tuned!     :)

Seems like patterns have been pretty consistent and streaky this year, stretching 3-6 weeks sometimes.

Patterns flipping back and forth every few weeks is pretty normal. The longevity of the February/March progression was definitely abnormal, but things evened out later in the spring and summer. This summer actually had a lot of variability at 500mb, we were never stuck in a similar pattern for too long. Same goes for this fall so far.

• Like 2

Patterns flipping back and forth every few weeks is pretty normal. The longevity of the February/March progression was definitely abnormal, but things evened out later in the spring and summer. This summer actually had a lot of variability at 500mb, we were never stuck in a similar pattern for too long. Same goes for this fall so far.

Yeah, we haven't been stuck in the same pattern for the last 6 weeks like some are alluding to. Been plenty variable over the past 6 weeks. We've seen some significant blocking recently like we did back in Feb/Mar but only for a few days rather than 6 weeks straight.

I've never seen a pattern so completely stuck like we had in Feb/Mar this year. We haven't come anywhere close to that since.

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Only goes out through 5 a.m. on Halloween currently.

At face value on this run... Halloween evening could end up being OK if you extrapolate the frontal passage in the early morning that day.  Stay tuned!     :)

This is true and of course this will flip flop back and fourth 

Plenty of time

Yeah, we haven't been stuck in the same pattern for the last 6 weeks like some are alluding to. Been plenty variable over the past 6 weeks. We've seen some significant blocking recently like we did back in Feb/Mar but only for a few days rather than 6 weeks straight.

I've never seen a pattern so completely stuck like we had in Feb/Mar this year. We haven't come anywhere close to that since.

Backyard observations notwithstanding... the overall pattern has been stuck for about 5 weeks now with general troughing over the West (particularly the PNW) and a permanent ridge and warmth in the East.

Similar to last February and early March in that regard. And with a couple periods of record cold and snow in there.