April 2020 Weather discussion for the PNW

I did. Very nice run. Lots of ☔ too.

Finally starting to look more like the climatological EHEM forcing pattern for April with poleward -AAM propagation.

Models taking awhile to catch on, it appears.

• Like 1

Finally starting to look more like the climatological EHEM forcing pattern for April with poleward -AAM propagation.

Models taking awhile to catch on, it appears.

Not the EMINEM pattern....

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Nice morning?

20200424-072715.jpg

Nice shot of rain here this morning.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Nice shot of rain here this morning.

Station near me is now at 57 inches of rain for the year. And many more rain events ahead in the next 10 days. All good up here. :)

More rain in Oregon is good too!

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

How near is the station?

About 2 miles away.     

Probably a little less here but still well above normal for the year.   Obviously don't want it to just totally dry out now, but that is not going to be a problem based on the models.    There will likely be some rain each day for the next 10 days.

But its not a total washout either... today looks decent, tomorrow afternoon looks dry, and Sunday looks nice with the rain holding off until the late evening.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Station near me is now at 57 inches of rain for the year. And many more rain events ahead in the next 10 days. All good up here. :)

More rain in Oregon is good too!

Move to Death Valley. You’ll be in paradise there.

• Like 1

Nice to have a storm overperform down here for once. 50% POP with less than a tenth QPF has resulted in 0.41" IMBY so far. Needed it PDQ, so it's a BFD to me.

Yes, these last 2 events have been great for the south valley. We still need more too as we were 10" below normal rainfall 3 days ago but should put a dent in the deficit over the next 10 days.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

The EPS wants to bring subsidence back over the Maritime continent/E-IO during the first week of May. I have a very difficult time believing this will be anything more than a transient MJO wave..there’s a potent OHC max there, and the low pass signal has been decaying, so skepticism is warranted IMO.

However, if this verifies, we’d be looking at another “warm up after the cool down”, as Dewey says.

IlekiBg.jpg

• Like 1

The EPS wants to bring subsidence back over the Maritime continent/E-IO during the first week of May. I have a very difficult time believing this will be anything more than a transient MJO wave..there’s a potent OHC max there, and the low pass signal has been decaying, so skepticism is warranted IMO.

However, if this verifies, we’d be looking at another “warm up after the cool down”, as Dewey says.

Crazy I figured we were going to cool down forever. That eight year La Nina can't be far off right? ;)

IlekiBg.jpg

Looking like a progressive pattern for the next month or so. I think most of May ends up seasonal. Then warmer than normal weather end of May into early June.

Coolish start but warms up through the month. My guess is slightly warmer than normal.

Yeah I don’t think I’ve ever seen you predict cooler than normal weather between April and October. Thought maybe you were bucking the trend!

tydprecipitation4_23.png

Some places down in northern CA are actually drier YTD than they were in 2013. Willows, a town in that dark red area north of Sacramento, is currently at 1.96" precipitation YTD. This is a full inch below 2013 and the average Jan 1 to Apr 23 is about 13". Even the Colorado River area has been wetter. What a sharp contrast from last year.

Probably going to be nasty down there as far as wildfires go this summer. 

Crazy I figured we were going to cool down forever. That eight year La Nina can't be far off right? ;)

That multiyear Niña is coming. The intra-decadal cycle in IPWP longitude/girth seems to regulate ENSO variability, and there’s clearly a westward recycling of the OHC maximum into the E-IO/Maritime Continent area of late. Question is how/when does the system exhaust/relocate the remaining OHC in the WPAC? There’s still a smallish relative surplus there, even though it’s been draining over the last several years.

• Like 1

Looking like a progressive pattern for the next month or so. I think most of May ends up seasonal. Then warmer than normal weather end of May into early June.

Really want to see how the Asian summer monsoon develops in May/June. One of the most revealing aspects of seasonality there is IMO..it can basically tell the story for June-September once it gets going.

• Like 1

Hopefully we see an 80 degree day or two next month!

Pretty good chance we will, as Jesse said that’s pretty average to get our first 80 degree temps even up here in western WA in May. It’s hit 80 degrees here every year in May in Tacoma since 2013.
  • Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

May will be 80-free.

Not 80-proof?

skyy750__35142__32620.1358534050.1280.12

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope