May 2020 Weather discussion for the PNW

You must be a little up Badger Creek or the White River then. Pretty area, especially this time of year when everything’s still green. Post pics if you can!

I would suggest Cottonwood Canyon state park on the lower John Day River if you are looking for a slightly warmer and drier microclimate over there.

Cottonwood state park is closed due to stay at home order that everyone seems to be ignoring. I may go to the Deschutes River area which would put me at about 1600 feet lower. Yup, Badger Creek area. Here are some pics of my hike up Badger Creek on Saturday....

IMG_20200516_112458.jpg

IMG_20200516_113620.jpg

• Like 4

"Avoiding unwanted weather is a key element of happiness."

Cottonwood state park is closed due to stay at home order that everyone seems to be ignoring. I may go to the Deschutes River area which would put me at about 1600 feet lower. Yup, Badger Creek area. Here are some pics of my hike up Badger Creek on Saturday....

I wasn’t aware of that. Seems like a weird park to close considering how incredibly remote it is.

Great pics! I really like that trail and the interesting pine/oak woodlands in that area. Almost looks like you’re camped at Bonney Crossing.

Fun Fact: This “cool” and wettish spell has still been above average in western WA and western OR because of the warm overnight lows. Only northern CA has been below average.

So I haven't been below? 70's would be quite normal at my place right now ;)

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 18
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 5/4, 5/5, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Fun Fact: This “cool” and wettish spell has still been above average in western WA and western OR because of the warm overnight lows. Only northern CA has been below average.

There have been some warm days in the mix too. PDX was in the low 70s both weekend days with mostly sunny afternoons. A few degrees above average.

Average of all +ENSO to -ENSO transition summers from 1950-present.

April - September.

Edit: Meant to put in 1954 instead of 1953.

zEIt7gG.png

ZIJHTtf.png

WVfE6iM.png

vhglUTh.png

yPyryF7.png

vrljmsT.png

Just a gorgeous day... completely sunny and 67 here. I would be very happy with sunny or partly cloudy and 60s for the holiday weekend. Alas... it will be raining for most of Sunday and Monday.

Oh well... you win some and you lose some.

It's been a 70 day holiday weekend for a lot of people

It got to freezing here on this date in 2003. What an actual cold spell looks like at this point in the year.

I wasn’t aware of that. Seems like a weird park to close considering how incredibly remote it is.

Great pics! I really like that trail and the interesting pine/oak woodlands in that area. Almost looks like you’re camped at Bonney Crossing.

Yeah, the ridges seem to be more arid while the canyons seem more like something you'd see on the westside, very interesting indeed. I'm not too far from Bonney crossing..

All state parks and National Forest campgrounds in Oregon and Washington are closed due to the stay at home order, dispersed camping is open, which is what I am doing.

"Avoiding unwanted weather is a key element of happiness."

It got to freezing here on this date in 2003. What an actual cold spell looks like at this point in the year.

There could be some lows in the 30s coming out of the tail end of the trough at the end of this week. Probably not as cold as the 2003 one, though.

I still remember that trough pretty well. I was in band and we played at a parade in the Ballard neighborhood of Seattle every year for their Syttende Mai festival. It was chilly and unsettled for the parade that May 17th with some hail and graupel showers. We didn’t get back to the high school until late that night and I remember being amazed that there were frozen rain drops on the cars in the parking lot. Didn’t know a ton about our climate history back then but knew that seemed pretty crazy for the last half of May.

I also made out for the first time on that bus ride back. :0

Yeah, the ridges seem to be more arid while the canyons seem more like something you'd see on the westside, very interesting indeed. I'm not too far from Bonney crossing..

All state parks and National Forest campgrounds in Oregon and Washington are closed due to the stay at home order, dispersed camping is open, which is what I am doing.

I believe many Oregon state parks have been reopened. Same with recreation areas on national forests. At least the Gifford Pinchot. Not sure on the status of Mount Hood NF...

There could be some lows in the 30s coming out of the tail end of the trough at the end of this week. Probably not as cold as the 2003 one, though.

I still remember that trough pretty well. I was in band and we played at a parade in the Ballard neighborhood of Seattle every year for their Syttende Mai festival. It was chilly and unsettled for the parade that May 17th with some hail and graupel showers. We didn’t get back to the high school until late that night and I remember being amazed that there were frozen rain drops on the cars in the parking lot. Didn’t know a ton about our climate history back then but knew that seemed pretty crazy for the last half of May.

I also made out for the first time on that bus ride back. :0

There were definitely some pretty chilly showers on the 17th, probably 41-42F or so in the lowlands. I remember some hail with it and the hills were definitely whitened from it.

That event and the crazy huge deformation zone on 5/22/13 (Not as impressive where I was at the time) are the two standout events from this stretch of calendar.

There were definitely some pretty chilly showers on the 17th, probably 41-42F or so in the lowlands. I remember some hail with it and the hills were definitely whitened from it.

That event and the crazy huge deformation zone on 5/22/13 (Not as impressive where I was at the time) are the two standout events from this stretch of calendar.

We were out in Stevenson for the 5/22/13 event. Recorded a high of only 48 that day and over an inch of rain.

I believe many Oregon state parks have been reopened. Same with recreation areas on national forests. At least the Gifford Pinchot. Not sure on the status of Mount Hood NF...

I know Timberline has reopened for skiing. You have to make a reservation beforehand and it's rather limited but you can ski.

• Like 1

Would this produce a Brookings effect? I’d like to see this happen just to see it firsthand.

That would probably produce a strong marine layer along the coast, with the heat and associated heat low centered inland. You would need surface high pressure centered inland and a lot of low level northerly flow to get a strong Brookings effect.

• Like 1

63 and sunny here... its been sunny all day.  

Looks like two solid marine layer days coming up tomorrow and Wednesday so I am glad to see the sun today.

Ended up with a late day temperature spike here, with a warm evening breeze. Still 65F here at 8pm, ended up maxing out at 68F. The marine layer typically clears out quickly here, I'm not worried.