July 2023 Observations and Discussion

Tom

Ensemble support continues to grow for a solid trough as we get past the first week of August. Should cool down nicely with renewed rain chances for most of us!

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Like 4

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

Very hot week ahead for No Texas.
106 Highs.  

• Sun 2

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

It's a wonderful morning here as I've opened up the windows to let some fresh air in.  Currently 65F/61F with clear skies.  Sunrise is now at 5:43am and Sunset at 8:13pm.  Gosh, we've lost 25 minutes of daylight since the start of this month during the morning hours.  Fall is creeping ever so SLOWLY as the subtle signs of nature continue. 

I've been pretty busy the past couple days and will post some vids from Friday as I made it out on the Chain O' Lakes with the fam.

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, Clinton said:

Much cooler temps looking more likely over the next 2 weeks.  I may have a hot day or 2 in the middle of the week but mostly mid 80s forecasted over the next 10 days.  Now we just need to put some rain on it!

Latest 8 to 14 Day Temperature Outlook

Latest 8 to 14 Day Precipitation Outlook

Up this way, we may have just seen the worst of summers heat and humidity, speaking in terms of duration and intensity. I think ORD hit 90F+ for 4 days in a row and never surpassed 95F.  Highest temp was 93F back on Thu.  Did anyone hit 100F in IA/MN/WI/IN during last weeks Heat?  I haven’t checked but it would be interesting to see bc all the models pretty much torched this area 5+days out.

• Like 1
  • Sun 1

30 minutes ago, Tom said:

Up this way, we may have just seen the worst of summers heat and humidity, speaking in terms of duration and intensity.

Here in west Michigan at Grand Rapids there were 0 days of 90 or better in late July and so far for the summer there have only been 9 days of 90 or better with most of them with a NE wind earlier in the summer season. The highest so far this year is just 91.

• Like 4

The official H/L yesterday at Grand Rapids was 84/68 there was 0.79” of rain fall. The sun was out 77% of the possible time. The highest wind gust was 32 MPH out of the west. One way to keep track of how hot or cold it has been is to keep track of Heating and Cooling Degree Days. At Grand Rapids yesterday had 0 HDD’s and 11 CDD’s For the month of July there so far there have been 0 HDD’s the average for July is 0. Since June 1st there have been 28 HDD’s that is a departure of -10. As of CDD’s so far for July there have been 213 that is a departure from average of -19 since June 1st there have been 386 for a departure of -23 and for the YTD there have been 437 for a departure of -34. So all in all we have used less energy to heat and cool our houses so far this year.

For today the average H/L is 83/63 the record high of 101 was set in 1916 and the record low of 50 was set in 1956,1965 and 2013. The week ahead looks to be just a little cooler than average to start and at times near average. Most of the days look mostly dry at this time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom said:

Up this way, we may have just seen the worst of summers heat and humidity, speaking in terms of duration and intensity. I think ORD hit 90F+ for 4 days in a row and never surpassed 95F.  Highest temp was 93F back on Thu.  Did anyone hit 100F in IA/MN/WI/IN during last weeks Heat?  I haven’t checked but it would be interesting to see bc all the models pretty much torched this area 5+days out.

I know some places in western/southern IL hit 100.  Not sure about other areas.

• Thanks 1

A beauty of a day on tap for today with high temperatures remaining below normal in the 70's. Some spots in the County may not see an 80 degree temp again until next Saturday. In additional to cooler than normal daytime temps the nightime lows will be in the 50's Monday through Wednesday night. The first day our average low temperatures return to the 50's in not until September 1st. In fact if the GFS model is to be believed we should see below normal temperatures continuing through at least Mid-August!

image.thumb.png.11a2f8e03016c03875e9f905667e29cc.png

• Like 1

All historical weather data analytics posted by me is specifically for the climate of Chester County PA.  We continually analyze the actual raw non-adjusted NWS certified Coop observed climate data for Chester County.  There have been no post observation adjustments to any of the detailed analytics. All data is sourced from trained NWS observers and spotters. The life blood of science is to challenge what is thought to be known. The concept that climate change etc. is somehow “settled science” describes a religion - a belief system that does not welcome challenges. We should all continue to challenge science!    Snow Totals 2023/24 = 24.5" -  11/28 (0.3") / 12/7 (0.8") / 12/11 (0.8") / 1/6 (2.0") / 1/16 (2.8") / 1/19 (4.5") / 2/13 (10.5") / 2/17 (2.8")

Average Chester County PA Snow at elevations over 660 FT ASL (1983-Present) = 35.9" Snow totals by season: 2022/23 (2.7") /2021/22 (20.5")  2020/21 snow  (52.2") /  2019/20 snow (5.8" )/ 2018/19 snow (35.1" )/ 2017/18 snow (58.5") / 2016/17 snow (24.0")/ 2015/16 snow (40.8")/ 2014/15 snow = (55.3") /2013/14 snow (80.0").

Check out the historical Western Chester County PA website at https://www.chescowx.com.  Follow me on twitter at https://twitter.com/ChescoWx and join us on the #1 social media source for all things Chester County weather on the Chester County Weather Page at https://www.facebook.com/groups/chescowx

National Weather Service  SKYWARN® Trained Spotter CHPA-174

On 7/29/2023 at 2:24 PM, Hawkeye said:

This morning's Euro is the best run in a while for Iowa.  However, if you end up just north of the ring of fire, you get nothing.

image.thumb.png.c3693e63c7ccd8443c87f55d9050bcd6.png

Bring on the Ring of Fire pattern… haven’t seen this for the past couple of summers in Eastern Nebraska. Nightly chances for thunderstorms and heavy rain… sign me up! It looks like the western drought areas in the Great Plains/ Midwest should see some decent and still much-needed moisture come in.

• Like 3

On 7/29/2023 at 2:24 PM, Hawkeye said:

This morning's Euro is the best run in a while for Iowa.  However, if you end up just north of the ring of fire, you get nothing.

image.thumb.png.c3693e63c7ccd8443c87f55d9050bcd6.png

Unfortunately, this Euro run was a one-run wonder.  Models have shifted south today, so it now looks very dry for the next 7-10 days.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

2 hours ago, Bryan1117 said:

Bring on the Ring of Fire pattern… haven’t seen this for the past couple of summers in Eastern Nebraska. Nightly chances for thunderstorms and heavy rain… sign me up! It looks like the western drought areas in the Great Plains/ Midwest should see some decent and still much-needed moisture come in.

RAP really dialing up the ring of fire over the next 48hrs.  This would be great for southeast Nebraska and Missouri.

qpf_acc-imp.us_c.png

• Like 2

Currently 106.   
We may not see a high below 100 until the 2nd week of August…But I won’t hold my breath.  

Phoenix had a rough month.  

BC72E94B-E308-4EAD-A9EF-8F2964DD89A4.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Sick 1
  • Facepalm 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

45 minutes ago, Andie said:

Currently 106.   
We may not see a high below 100 until the 2nd week of August…But I won’t hold my breath.  

Phoenix had a rough month.  

BC72E94B-E308-4EAD-A9EF-8F2964DD89A4.jpeg

Insanity!  I can't imagine living through a month of Extreme Heat Warnings...just mind blowing.  Glad to see the Monsoon firing up and dropping moisture.  

• Like 1

Severe Thunderstorm with 80mph confirmed winds moving my way, yikes

Severe Thunderstorm Warning including Independence MO, Blue Springs MO and Grain Valley MO until 9:00 PM CDT. This destructive storm will contain wind gusts to 80 MPH!

This graphic displays a severe thunderstorm warning plotted on a map. The warning is in effect until 9:00 PM CDT. The warning includes Independence MO, Blue Springs MO and Grain Valley MO.  This warning is for Northeastern Cass County in west central Missouri, Southwestern Lafayette County in west central Missouri, Eastern Jackson County in west central Missouri and Northwestern Johnson County in west central Missouri. The threats associated with this warning are wind gusts up to 80 MPH and pea sized hail. There are 196,485 people in the warning along with 70 schools and 2 hospitals.

• Like 2
  • Storm 1
  • scream 1

2 hours ago, Tom said:

Insanity!  I can't imagine living through a month of Extreme Heat Warnings...just mind blowing.  Glad to see the Monsoon firing up and dropping moisture.  

Texas has been in the same arena just 100-106 or<.   A few higher.  It sucks the mental and physical energy out of you.  
When it hits like 95* it actually feels cool!  Insane.  
Cant wait for the first day in the 80’s!!

• Like 2

That was a big one Clinton. Still stormy up there.  
Hope you didn’t sustain any damage.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Clinton said:

Severe Thunderstorm with 80mph confirmed winds moving my way, yikes

Severe Thunderstorm Warning including Independence MO, Blue Springs MO and Grain Valley MO until 9:00 PM CDT. This destructive storm will contain wind gusts to 80 MPH!

This graphic displays a severe thunderstorm warning plotted on a map. The warning is in effect until 9:00 PM CDT. The warning includes Independence MO, Blue Springs MO and Grain Valley MO.  This warning is for Northeastern Cass County in west central Missouri, Southwestern Lafayette County in west central Missouri, Eastern Jackson County in west central Missouri and Northwestern Johnson County in west central Missouri. The threats associated with this warning are wind gusts up to 80 MPH and pea sized hail. There are 196,485 people in the warning along with 70 schools and 2 hospitals.

You alright down there bud?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Clinton said:

Major wind damage in my area. Electrical polls blown over in my field and many trees down.  

Sorry to hear you lost power...it sounds like it'll be a few days bc of the blown down power lines.  Hope I'm wrong!

• Like 1

Happy Monday all!  Mother Nature couldn't have dialed up a better day of weather to the start off a new work week.  Heading up to near 81F today.  It's a fantastic start to the morning as I'm currently at 60F/58F, calm winds, clear skies and a glorious start to the day.  What a delightful way to end a perfect July here in the Chicago area.   ORD will likely finish just at normal temps (+0.1F) and nearly double the avg in the precip dept 7.61" (7th wettest July on record).

• Like 6

15 hours ago, Bryan1117 said:

Nice early morning wake up call from nature...

image.png

• Like 1

The mid-June, monsoon season in the Southwest finally appears to be getting into full swing, with increasing moisture that's bringing storms and possible flooding.

This is a good sign overall for Southern flow for Texas eventually.  Slow but sure we’ll get there. TS are out in Atlantic so this is a wecome sign for change. 

E24912A4-463E-41C4-B9D6-786CE3D650F1.webp

• Like 4

With 84% of possible sunshine and low humidity the H/L yesterday was 79/63 the highest wind gust was 24 MPH out of the NW. The overnight was very pleasant with a low here in MBY of 55 and the current reading is 56 with clear skies. For today the average H/L is 83/63 the record high was 98 in 1917 and the record low of 46 was set in 1971. The most rain fall of 1.59” fell in 1925. Last year the H/L was 85/60. The week ahead looks to have great weather with mostly sunny skies and near average temperatures.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Tom said:

Nice early morning wake up call from nature...

image.png

Up to 1.25” of rain over the last 24 hours with the two separate rounds of thunderstorms (yesterday afternoon and this morning)… nice to see this pattern finally pay off for us (without the associated severe weather that Clinton got yesterday, yikes). 

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Clinton said:

We are good, still no power but we are making the best of it. Percolating some coffee this morning and getting ready to go check on livestock. Did get .70 inches of rain lol.

20230731_073152.jpg

20230731_073145.jpg

Glad to hear your ok, sucks though to be without power...hang in there bud!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This morning's low of 59.6 was the first time we have reached the 50's since June 29th. A good chance many areas will see lows in the 50's the next 3 mornings. Today looks to be the only chance some areas hit 80 degrees this work week.
Records for today: High 102 degrees (1954) / Low 48 degrees (1895) / Rain 2.49" (1992)
image.png.7573227f6d3a38d5ae6f9c5be8167b4a.png

All historical weather data analytics posted by me is specifically for the climate of Chester County PA.  We continually analyze the actual raw non-adjusted NWS certified Coop observed climate data for Chester County.  There have been no post observation adjustments to any of the detailed analytics. All data is sourced from trained NWS observers and spotters. The life blood of science is to challenge what is thought to be known. The concept that climate change etc. is somehow “settled science” describes a religion - a belief system that does not welcome challenges. We should all continue to challenge science!    Snow Totals 2023/24 = 24.5" -  11/28 (0.3") / 12/7 (0.8") / 12/11 (0.8") / 1/6 (2.0") / 1/16 (2.8") / 1/19 (4.5") / 2/13 (10.5") / 2/17 (2.8")

Average Chester County PA Snow at elevations over 660 FT ASL (1983-Present) = 35.9" Snow totals by season: 2022/23 (2.7") /2021/22 (20.5")  2020/21 snow  (52.2") /  2019/20 snow (5.8" )/ 2018/19 snow (35.1" )/ 2017/18 snow (58.5") / 2016/17 snow (24.0")/ 2015/16 snow (40.8")/ 2014/15 snow = (55.3") /2013/14 snow (80.0").

Check out the historical Western Chester County PA website at https://www.chescowx.com.  Follow me on twitter at https://twitter.com/ChescoWx and join us on the #1 social media source for all things Chester County weather on the Chester County Weather Page at https://www.facebook.com/groups/chescowx

National Weather Service  SKYWARN® Trained Spotter CHPA-174

16 hours ago, Clinton said:

RAP really dialing up the ring of fire over the next 48hrs.  This would be great for southeast Nebraska and Missouri.

qpf_acc-imp.us_c.png

The RAP model pretty much nailed it… actually ended up being a county or two north which helped my area cash in over the last 24 hours with nearly 1.50” of rain (with some areas seeing 2+, and it looks like plenty more chances upcoming this week).

IMG_0043.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excited 1