August 2023 Weather in the PNW

Cascadia_Wx

Just now, SnowWillarrive said:

You think temps tomorrow even crack 80? I’d imagine that smoke will hold temps down quite a bit. 

Looks thick enough to hold down temps.   80 will be a stretch.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

2 minutes ago, SnowWillarrive said:

I thought today would be a lot warmer. Upper 70s here. 

Upper 70s here too.   Sky is milky white but lower levels still look decent.

Screenshot_20230819-161843_Chrome.jpg

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Smoke has not penetrated the low levels as much as models has predicted so far.  Fingers crossed this remains the case for the Western Portions of our two States.  The smoke will quickly clear out regardless starting Monday.  As mentioned in my post yesterday, temps have underperformed in a lot of areas today. 

Screen Shot 2023-08-19 at 4.20.25 PM.png

Just now, NWbyNW said:

Smoke has not penetrated the low levels as much as models has predicted so far.  Fingers crossed this remains the case for the Western Portions of our two States.  The smoke will quickly clear out regardless starting Monday.  As mentioned in my post yesterday, temps have underperformed in a lot of areas today. 

Screen Shot 2023-08-19 at 4.20.25 PM.png

That looks surprisingly good considering the situation.    Do you have a link to that site?

Some really sad news coming out of Spokane County.  The small community of Medical Lake (2020 pop: 4,874) and surrounding unincorporated communities of Silver Lake, Lakeland Village, and Clear Lake, have all mostly burned due to the Gray Fire which started Friday afternoon.  The fire has spread quickly and has now burned over 185 homes according to KREM 2 out of Spokane.  This is awful.  Medical Lake has some historical significance in the state's history being home to an early sanitorum which still stands to this day and being located south of Fairchild Airforce Base.  The entire City of Medical Lake has been ordered to evacuate.  Hotels in Spokane are welcoming people in at the moment. Fire crews are working around the clock and the Spokane County Sheriff's Office is helping people evacuate. 

This is similar to a few years ago when wildfires ripped through the tiny towns of Pine City and Malden, completely burning them to the ground.  Both towns are not to far from Medical Lake. 

ScreenShot2023-08-19at4_22_25PM.thumb.png.e3f046c61df7585843179529cb3c99e6.png

ScreenShot2023-08-19at4_22_32PM.thumb.png.ec2c870298d59739d6fadd9d06f92a7e.pngScreenShot2023-08-19at4_22_48PM.thumb.png.72c6e48af3e30e6948974beb0f965513.png

A wildfire ripped through the towns of Malden and Pine City in  2020.  Here is what is left of the Whitman County town of Malden.

Ajmwaldensep20firedowntownother.thumb.jpg.5a420b43159c8b1186d73afcb34e01c5.jpg

1 minute ago, NWbyNW said:

Some really sad news coming out of Spokane County.  The small community of Medical Lake (2020 pop: 4,874) and surrounding unincorporated communities such as Silver Lake, Lakeland Village, and Clear Lake, have all mostly burned due to the Gray Fire which started Friday afternoon.  The fire has spread quickly and has now burned over 185 homes according to KREM 2 out of Spokane.  This is awful.  Medical Lake has some historical significance in the state's history being home to an early sanitorum which still stands to this day and being located south of Fairchild Airforce Base.  The entire City of Medical Lake has been ordered to evacuate.  Hotels in Spokane are welcoming people in at the moment. Fire crews are working around the clock and the Spokane County Sheriff's Office is helping people evacuate. 

This is similar to a few years ago when wildfires ripped through the tiny towns of Pine City and Malden, completely burning them to the ground.  Both towns are not too far from Medical Lake. 

ScreenShot2023-08-19at4_22_32PM.thumb.png.ec2c870298d59739d6fadd9d06f92a7e.pngScreenShot2023-08-19at4_22_48PM.thumb.png.72c6e48af3e30e6948974beb0f965513.png

A wildfire ripped through the towns of Malden and Pine City in  2020.  Here is what is left of the Whitman County town of Malden.

I remember that Malden fire now that you mention it.  

I’m surprised how much it smells like smoke with what the air quality map is showing. Visibility has been noticeably reduced as well.

25DC6A00-2458-430D-BA96-61639D720234.jpeg

2023 - 2024 Cold Season Stats

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Coldest High Temp - 21 (Jan 13)

Coldest Low Temp - 9 (Jan 13)

Number of Freezes - 51

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3

26 minutes ago, NWbyNW said:

Basically everywhere but PDX.

A forum for the end of the world.

23 minutes ago, NWbyNW said:

Some really sad news coming out of Spokane County.  The small community of Medical Lake (2020 pop: 4,874) and surrounding unincorporated communities of Silver Lake, Lakeland Village, and Clear Lake, have all mostly burned due to the Gray Fire which started Friday afternoon.  The fire has spread quickly and has now burned over 185 homes according to KREM 2 out of Spokane.  This is awful.  Medical Lake has some historical significance in the state's history being home to an early sanitorum which still stands to this day and being located south of Fairchild Airforce Base.  The entire City of Medical Lake has been ordered to evacuate.  Hotels in Spokane are welcoming people in at the moment. Fire crews are working around the clock and the Spokane County Sheriff's Office is helping people evacuate. 

This is similar to a few years ago when wildfires ripped through the tiny towns of Pine City and Malden, completely burning them to the ground.  Both towns are not to far from Medical Lake. 

careful, its apparently not small

11 minutes ago, SunAndSnow said:

Smoke has arrived in PDX metro. Smells too. 

IMG_7858.jpeg

Now that map looks more accurate compared to the one I posted.

2023 - 2024 Cold Season Stats

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Coldest High Temp - 21 (Jan 13)

Coldest Low Temp - 9 (Jan 13)

Number of Freezes - 51

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3

The bush creek east and Adam’s lake wildfires merged in the north Shuswap area last night.  Making a 13 mile run to the south east and burning a wooden bridge that is on the only access road to a large part of that area.  Not sure on numbers but homes were lost. 

3 hours ago, Front Ranger said:

Sounds like Hilary briefly topped out as Cat 4 yesterday and is Cat 3 now but rapidly weakening. Probably won't be much of a tropical storm left by the time it hits CA, other than some heavy rain.

Yeah cold water is choking it rapidly. Now down to a Cat2.

22 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

SEA was right on target.  ECMWF showed 77 and actual high was 77.

GFS was too warm again. 😱 

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

GFS was too warm again. 😱 

Now that the ECMWF has corrected its cool bias there is no reason to look at anything else.   

18Z ECMWF increased the rainfall totals with the ULL coming through on Tuesday night and Wednesday morning.   Really hope it works out.  

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-precip_24hr_inch-2792000.png

2 hours ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

These things will definitely happen. I try not to think about it, just like my inevitable expiration.

Meh, your concept of self is an illusion anyway, so there’s no “you” to die. Just one of an infinite number of potential wavefunctions.

42 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

You are still doing it.   

Just stop man, you were being very passive and flippant about the wild fire conversation on multiple occasions (multiple people agree with that sentiment) and you were being a ****** to Tiger, you have no right to tell him he should not think the way he does or how he thinks isn't the right way to think, we are all different, you are not above any one person.  Be compassionate and understanding more often instead of waiting for people to call you out and then you try gloss over how you were acting.  Let's just move on.  

2 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

Just stop man, you were being very passive and flippant about the wild fire conversation on multiple occasions (multiple people agree with that sentiment) and you were being a ****** to Tiger, you have no right to tell him he should not think the way he does or how he thinks isn't the right way to think, we are all different, you are not above any one person.  Be compassionate and understanding more often instead of waiting for people to call you out and then you try gloss over how you were acting.  Let's just move on.  

Yeah... literally none of that is happening.   But thanks for the usual input Chris.   👍

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

Yeah... literally none of that is happening.   But thanks for the usual input Chris.   👍

Yep, there you go, pretending that you weren't acting like that, as usual.  When others are pointing out the same behavior, its not an us problem it is a you problem.  Keep living on that pedestal.

Just now, GHweatherChris said:

Yep, there you go, pretending that you weren't acting like that, as usual.  When others are pointing out the same behavior, its not an us problem it is a you problem.  Keep living on that pedestal.

OK Chris.   Literally none of that happened.    But you can keep going as long as you want as you are prone to do when it comes to me.  

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

OK Chris.   Literally none of that happened.    But you can keep going as long as you want as you are prone to do when it comes to me.  

So we are pretending you said none of the things the way you did that I saw, Phishy saw and others saw..... it's not between you and I Tim, others saw it too and saw it the same way I did.

7 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

So we are pretending you said none of the things the way you did that I saw, Phishy saw and others saw..... it's not between you and I Tim, others saw it too and saw it the same way I did.

You see things the way you want which is always negative towards me.  Don't care.   I never said anything disparaging about people in the fire areas and would never think that way.   My area could be the next area hit by fire.   And did not say anything to Tiger that I have not said before... and did so in a concerned way because its truly not healthy.    I do worry about him and we have talked privately as well.    So yeah.   Continue on though. 

Just now, TT-SEA said:

You see things the way you want which is always negative towards me.  Don't care.   I never said anything disparaging about people in the fire areas and would never think that way.   And did not say anything to Tiger that I have not said before... and did so in a concerned way because its truly not healthy.    I do worry about him and we have talked privately as well.    So yeah.   Continue on though.   

mmm k