August 2023 Weather in the PNW

Cascadia_Wx

The TPUYR station down by EQC just on side of road of I-5 probably not the best placement for a WX Station. But definitely looks like high quality model not sure what WSDOT uses. 

Screenshot_20230817-204658-063.png

Eastside Tacoma/Salishan, WA. Elv 263ft

Family home in Spanaway, WA. Elv 413ft

☥𓂀✡️

7 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

You literally just said the other day 90 is just warm, which would mean 85 is cool. Can't deny that one.

Are you being serious here?    Yes 90 can be called warm.  That is one of numerous descriptive words that can be used.   And 85 can be warm too.   You completely lack any nuance.  Everything is so literal for you.  😀

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Same deal in Spanaway which is why I prefer to give temp obs in range vs a single temp, tho my family definitely closer to one highlighted. Here elevation runs from 397-511ft, 413 at my family house. 

Screenshot_20230817-205643-139.png

☥𓂀✡️

43 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Yeah... not true.   And not the point of critiquing the wording in that tweet.

The wording seems weird to you because it cites a scientific study for its methodology, which makes comments on being an "alarmist" funny since the tweet explained where it got its conclusion instead of taking a surface glance and immediately yelling at clouds.

This forum is the climate version of phrenology, just wild how far people on here will entrench themselves in politics to the point they goosestep around and over science until another quack shows up to reassure them that their unearned authority that stems from having an undergrad-level understanding of how to read/ride models is actually legit and not 100% doctrinaire samethink (which it actually is).

Don't get mad--I don't expect any of you to--but this forum is a toxic blight parading as pop science. The folks bringing legit science are constantly, desperately trying to stay above your taint and I feel sorrow for them. They're trying and it's wasted on those of you who are over here gooning because "lol its named hilary where are the emails lmao" or whatever the comments on news websites are saying now.

Just lol at the resident clowns in this low rent circus

We are only 30 years removed from the coolest July on record in Oregon. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

5 minutes ago, alexjon said:

The wording seems weird to you because it cites a scientific study for its methodology, which makes comments on being an "alarmist" funny since the tweet explained where it got its conclusion instead of taking a surface glance and immediately yelling at clouds.

This forum is the climate version of phrenology, just wild how far people on here will entrench themselves in politics to the point they goosestep around and over science until another quack shows up to reassure them that their unearned authority that stems from having an undergrad-level understanding of how to read/ride models is actually legit and not 100% doctrinaire samethink (which it actually is).

Don't get mad--I don't expect any of you to--but this forum is a toxic blight parading as pop science. The folks bringing legit science are constantly, desperately trying to stay above your taint and I feel sorrow for them. They're trying and it's wasted on those of you who are over here gooning because "lol its named hilary where are the emails lmao" or whatever the comments on news websites are saying now.

I'd lie if I said I haven't felt this way at times.

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

8 minutes ago, alexjon said:

Lol. We get it. Your $hit don’t stink. 

Edited by SilverFallsAndrew

6 minutes ago, alexjon said:

OK.   😀

Not mad at all.   And for the record... I believe the climate is warming.    I just think using 83 degrees in Seattle as the cut-off for 'extreme heat' is bending data to make a point.   That is only 3 degrees above summer climo.    Its pretty clear that no matter where you draw the line... summers are becoming warmer with more extreme heat.   That is indisputable.

And this group can read weather models very well.   At least as it pertains to our local weather.    Its not rocket science to look out model output and know all of the models biases and weaknesses.   I could teach my daughter to read the ECMWF and she would be an excellent local forecaster because its right most of the time.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

OK.   😀

Not mad at all.   And for the record... I believe the climate is warming.    I just think using 83 degrees in Seattle as the cut-off for 'extreme heat' is bending data to make a point.   That is only 3 degrees above summer climo.    Its pretty clear that no matter where you draw the line... summers are becoming warmer with more extreme heat.   That is indisputable.

And this group can read weather models very well.   At least as it pertains to our local weather.    Its not rocket science to look out model output and know all of the models biases and weaknesses.   I could teach my daughter to read the ECMWF and she would be an excellent local forecaster because its right most of the time.  

Yeah, it was cute they decided to insult everyone with their first ever post. Don’t worry Tim, I got your back. 

Tim has been quite the popular topic here lately! 

90/61 on the day. Currently 64. Feels downright chilly out! 
Our Sunflowers enjoyed the heat. 

IMG_7967.jpeg

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Just now, Jakewestsalem said:

Why are you here, sensei?

I sense someone fond of forced moral outrage there.    The far left opinion is the only right answer.

15 minutes ago, alexjon said:

Why are you here, sensei?

2 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Yeah, it was cute they decided to insult everyone with their first ever post. Don’t worry Tim, I got your back. 

That I didn't like. I don't feel particularly targeted, though.

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

28 minutes ago, alexjon said:

This will be well received!

thanks for gracing us with your presence 

Edited by Timmy

37 minutes ago, ChristheElohim said:

The TPUYR station down by EQC just on side of road of I-5 probably not the best placement for a WX Station. But definitely looks like high quality model not sure what WSDOT uses. 

Screenshot_20230817-204658-063.png

That is just negligence. Unbelievable.

18 minutes ago, alexjon said:

I think most on here are very knowledgeable especially even it comes down to our local weather and overall climate. No one is saying that there isn't something going with the climate obviously it's getting warmer especially in the summer months so what's the deal . 

☥𓂀✡️

12 minutes ago, Phil said:

That is just negligence. Unbelievable.

So don't use for my data? Seems all but one was closeer to that one for high today. 90-95 between them. Two closet of these is the tempest on E 45th and Mike's Davis Station also down the way from my apartment but still a good spread from both.  The TPUYR station is 1.5 miles down from me and the E 64 one is about a mile up.

Screenshot_20230817-213059-459.png

Screenshot_20230817-213142-348.png

Screenshot_20230817-213213-565.png

Screenshot_20230817-213233-792.png

☥𓂀✡️

20 minutes ago, alexjon said:

Are you a degreed scientist?

5 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

I think it was cool... didn't pull any punches.   I also don't agree.   I think there is plenty of room to debate the issue of climate change and most people on here can defend their positions with data and its a fascinating topic that we are all trying to understand.   I don't think we have many people here who think its just a complete farce or a conspiracy.   

Just now, TT-SEA said:

I think it was cool... didn't pull any punches.   I also don't agree.   I think there is plenty of room to debate the issue of climate change and most people on here can defend their positions with data and it’s a fascinating topic that we are trying to understand.   I don't think we have many people here who think it’s just a complete farce or a conspiracy.   

Usually when someone claims to have climate science all figured out is when I hit the ignore button.

It’s a dead giveaway either to a lack of knowledge or intellectual curiosity. Or both. Either way, impossible to cerebrally engage with someone like that.

Just now, Phil said:

Usually when someone claims to have climate science all figured out is when I hit the ignore button.

It’s a dead giveaway either to a lack of knowledge or intellectual curiosity. Or both. Either way, impossible to cerebrally engage with someone like that.

Totally agree.  

31 minutes ago, alexjon said:

Welcome to the forum! I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say we're all super excited to have you here!

9 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Maybe it’s an AI bot attempting to unify us against a common enemy.  😀

Don Sutherland is revered over at AmericanWx forums. Negatively critiquing his work is certain to elicit some unhappy replies from his followers.

6 minutes ago, Phil said:

Don Sutherland is revered over at AmericanWx forums. Negatively critiquing his work is certain to elicit some unhappy replies from his followers.

Wow.  Interesting.    

I actually did not disagree with the point of the tweet.   Extreme heat events are becoming the norm out here.  The last 3 summers have been particularly insane.   That is not debatable.    I just think a tighter definition of extreme heat makes the point even stronger.   Don't call anything above low 80s "extreme heat" or you unnecessarily lose credibility.    There has been plenty of actual extreme heat.  

5 minutes ago, Phil said:

Is AmericanWXForums any good? So far I love this since there is threads specifically covering the Pacific Northwest. 

☥𓂀✡️

2 minutes ago, ChristheElohim said:

Is AmericanWXForums any good? So far I love this since there is threads specifically covering the Pacific Northwest. 

This forum is the place to be if you live west of the Rockies. Also I personally find this community to be more interesting overall.

2 minutes ago, The Blob said:

Anyone enjoy the California fall weather we just had?

Welcome back!   I was wondering to myself the other day if you were going to come back soon.  

35 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

I don’t either. Maybe I should, but I don’t really care. I don’t actually take myself that seriously.