August 2023 Weather in the PNW

Cascadia_Wx

1 minute ago, Phil said:

That would surprise me.

Socal media saying strong TS or weak 1

yet to be seen but pretty unprecedented regardless.

perhaps staying so close to the baja coast is helping, water is warmer, waters at Santa Monica Pier are currently 72, I know 80 is generally threshold, but 72 isn't exactly frigid. 

3 minutes ago, Phishy Wx said:

perhaps staying so close to the baja coast is helping, water is warmer, waters at Santa Monica Pier are currently 72, I know 80 is generally threshold, but 72 isn't exactly frigid. 

Plus its now a strong hurricane and will have forward momentum.    Of course it will be weakening but maybe not fast enough.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

Officially 91 for a high at SEA. 

4th consecutive day of 90+.  Not sure how many times that has ever happened but it's pretty rare.  The annual average is only 3.   I know the record was 5 until last summer when SEA had 6 consecutive days at 90+.

Didn’t SEA hit 89 on the first day of this heatwave? If so they were pretty close to making it another five day streak. Which I think has only happened four times there.

2024 Warm Season Stats

Number of 80+ days - 2

Number of 85+ days - 2 (Warmest so far - 86)

Number of 90+ days - 0

Number of 95+ days - 0

Number of 60+ lows - 0

21 minutes ago, ChristheElohim said:

It hit 80 flat at SEA twice that summer. That was the warmest it got that summer. That summer is probably impossible to pull off nowadays but it would be quite the blessing if a repeat of that summer happened sometime soon.

2024 Warm Season Stats

Number of 80+ days - 2

Number of 85+ days - 2 (Warmest so far - 86)

Number of 90+ days - 0

Number of 95+ days - 0

Number of 60+ lows - 0

50 minutes ago, Phishy Wx said:

Good points. The 18z GFS track would be brutal for Southern California.

IMG_1977.thumb.gif.dceebf0c2252f00d1edd66c9db3a39cb.gif

55 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

BS? Calm down. I had the same complaint about his data as others.

Do you not believe there's such a thing as a climate change alarmist?

Didn't say that I didn't believe in alarmists.  what he posted wouldn't be what I would qualify as such. imo

But when was the last time Portland has had heat waves like this in 3 consecutive summers?

I'm asking cause i've only been in the PNW for 6 years

edit:  I meant Portland

Road tripping this week and currently in Jackson. After lots of heat and smoke finally have some good thunderstorms and currently pouring which rain falling over the gutters. Really miss this weather. Such a nice reprieve. Sitting out in the front porch of the rental getting rain blown and not caring one bit. Wife thinks I’m crazy though. 

2 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

He is obviously using at least 83 or maybe lower as the threshold for extreme heat because that is the only way the 2009 event could be 10 days long.     That seems like quite a stretch to use the term extreme heat considering the average in Seattle gets up to about 80 in the summer.  

Well you used to consider anything over 75 as hot and uncomfortable so....

4 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

Well you used to consider anything over 75 as hot and uncomfortable so....

Yeah... not true.   And not the point of critiquing the wording in that tweet.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

25 minutes ago, Phishy Wx said:

Didn't say that I didn't believe in alarmists.  what he posted wouldn't be what I would qualify as such. imo

But when was the last time Portland has had heat waves like this in 3 consecutive summers?

I'm asking cause i've only been in the PNW for 6 years

edit:  I meant Portland

I agree with pointing out the extreme nature of the last 3 summers.  

Amazes me the temp range we can have here in a small coverage area of Eastside Tacoma I know it's typically warmer down at the TPUYR station that's down by EQC/I-5 than the others especially at night. Plus it ranges from 14ft at the lowest end and 428ft the highest end I'm about 263ft where I am. Surrounded by woods from Swan Creek Park

Showing this cause of the difference in each WX Stations me not having my own I just throw a range of temps instead of one particular temp. 

Screenshot_20230817-203537-083.png

Screenshot_20230817-203641-048.png

Eastside Tacoma/Salishan, WA. Elv 263ft

Family home in Spanaway, WA. Elv 413ft

☥𓂀✡️

5 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

Uh, ya, you have said in the past on more than one occasion that anything over 75° becomes uncomfortable.

😀

Literally no.   But I do think over 85 is completely unnecessary.   Sweet spot is upper 70s to around 80... in my opinion of course.

My hot take(s), since no one asked.

The last decade of summers have been unprecedentedly ruthless.

AGW is warming our summers substantially. The last decade is consistent with this trend and fits the curve.

UHI heating is disproportionately increasing our temperatures during the summer, especially at night. You can factor out a few degrees give or take. This still results in jarring warming.

A nineteen phiphty phour redux is off the table. Maybe. Definitely at the big airport stations. A similar pattern configuration at the 500mb level is almost guaranteed for a repeat sometime eventually, as the stochasticness of nature requires, but the temperatures read then would simply not happen again in our urban corridor today. Sorry. RIP

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

1 minute ago, GHweatherChris said:

You literally just said the other day 90 is just warm, which would mean 85 is cool. Can't deny that one.

...could just be 'less warm' ;)

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021