October 2023 Weather in the PNW

00Z ECMWF is much wetter for Monday than it's 12Z run.   Coming back into agreement with the GFS.   Have to say that the GFS has been more consistent than the ECMWF in the 5-8 day range recently.   

• Like 3

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

3 minutes ago, Frontal Snowsquall said:

The 00z EURO is a little faster as well with the rain compared to its 12z run. Monday looks wet west of the Cascades.

IMG_2130.thumb.png.3711267acfd920834f568c5868e27f8c.png

IMG_2131.thumb.png.11dc06f5b0d15796dc67a067c3393cab.png

We posted simultaneously about Monday. 👍

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Just now, Deweydog said:

Sorry, brother. Sounds like more than a few of us have had tough years. We all get a choice on how we respond and how much we want to grind it out. The grind is all about making it better for yourself through that which makes it better for those around you. It’s about people, not the weather, both here and in the real world. The weather makes nothing personal. We choose to make it personal and the key is to find the beauty in it every day. Today was a beautiful day. Tomorrow will be one too!

Well said.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Front Ranger said:

if you really can't help letting them get to you, then yeah, logging off is probably the best choice

That’s what I did. I couldn’t stand the heat, so I got out of the kitchen. I wasn't trying to control other people's behavior, which I can't, but my reaction to it, which it's my responsibility to control, but I couldn't.

Seems sad to me, though, that even an endeavor so ostensibly innocent and harmless as a forum for weather enthusiasts has to devolve into a Darwinian “Survivor” arena where only the thickest-skinned alpha-dog types can feel comfortable to participate, and even sadder that this state of affairs can correctly be shrugged off simply as “it’s the internet.”

• Like 2

00Z EPS shows the quick collapse of our ridge and then transitions to what looks it would be a fairly wet pattern with troughing offshore through the end of the run.    Also shows persistent troughing in the eastern part of the country.   That seems early for Nino year but maybe that was what @Philwas referring to yesterday with the tropical charts.

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-z500_anom-1696377600-1696377600-1697673600-10.gif

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Eugene-5SW said:

That’s what I did. I couldn’t stand the heat, so I got out of the kitchen. I wasn't trying to control other people's behavior, which I can't, but my reaction to it, which it's my responsibility to control, but I couldn't.

Seems sad to me, though, that even an endeavor so ostensibly innocent and harmless as a forum for weather enthusiasts has to devolve into a Darwinian “Survivor” arena where only the thickest-skinned alpha-dog types can feel comfortable to participate, and even sadder that this state of affairs can correctly be shrugged off simply as “it’s the internet.”

Unfortunately, it is probably inherent in the faceless anonymity of the medium.

I remember how optimistic the voices of many Internet pioneers were in the late 80’s and early 90’s. There were a few voices sounding notes of caution, pointing out that radio and television both had similar optimism in their early years, optimism that was not borne out in reality. Turns out those dissenting voices were, in many ways, correct.

• Like 6
It's called clown range for a reason.

1 minute ago, RentonHill said:

every time I pass exit 31 on I90

IMG_6047.gif

😀

Last week you invited me down to Snoqualmie to join you for lunch!   

• Excited 1

13 hours ago, Front Ranger said:

I think you sometimes get hung up too much on semantics/chicken-egg with this. Yes, the PDO is a reflection of other external forces. But that doesn't mean that what the PDO is representing is not influential and to an extent predictive.

But it can represent *different* things. And sometimes those things are no longer happening despite the echo lingering.

In this case, it’s more like the latter. I suspect the “PDO” will become very positive within a couple of years.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jakewestsalem said:

Well, my father is undergoing 3x bypass surgery in less than 24 hours.

Do that get me a pass into the Rough Year Club?

Ugh, I’m so sorry man. Sending thoughts and prayers.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MossMan said:

It’s coming! 

IMG_9136.jpeg

I got the alert 2 minutes early, and I have 2 cell phones (one for work).  There is a Wile E Coyote style hole in my ceiling over my desk!

51QgvSVWotL._AC_UY1000_.jpg

• lol 4

5 minutes ago, Phil said:

Your phone blew up too? Lol

They announced that there would be national test today.   I think everyone got the alert.

• Like 3
  • Excited 1
  • Snow 1

3 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

They announced that there would be national test today.   I think everyone got the alert.

Well I’m out of the loop then

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Best not to watch the news... it’s depressing.

I don’t really watch TV at all. Don’t see the point of staring at a screen watching fake people do fake things.

Every now and then we’ll stream a movie or I’ll have TWC on during a hurricane or blizzard to see the live footage, but otherwise, 💤 💤

• Like 2
  • lol 1

5 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

12Z ECMWF really focuses the system on Monday to the south.   

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-precip_24hr_inch-6939200.png

What a regional blessing 

• Like 3
  • lol 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

2 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

What a regional blessing 

Would be nice for Oregon since recent systems have been focused farther north.   

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

I got the alert 2 minutes early, and I have 2 cell phones (one for work).  There is a Wile E Coyote style hole in my ceiling over my desk!

51QgvSVWotL._AC_UY1000_.jpg

was on a Teams with a colleague on the east coast.  had about 5-6 devices in the house going off.  Cats freakin out. i

• Like 1