January 2024 Weather in the PNW (Part I)

Just now, TT-SEA said:

AR plume pointed at northern CA at the end of the run... but don't see a way the air mass moderates in this situation without some kind of massive overrunning event.  

ecmwf-deterministic-namer-precip_12hr_inch-5320000.png

Yah you're right this wouldn't even be considered an overrunning event unless the low tracked further north.

It's just exciting to have the possibility of a historic event on the table. Just getting to this point is almost impossible, to see these runs is really something. The fact these are the most aggressive runs with cold in snow maybe ever since weather computers were invented is amazing and makes me think something special is coming.

• Like 9

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

Just now, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

It's just exciting to have the possibility of a historic event on the table. Just getting to this point is almost impossible, to see these runs is really something. The fact these are the most aggressive runs with cold in snow maybe ever since weather computers were invented is amazing and makes me think something special is coming.

Might be the generational event that we have all be dreaming of. As modeled, the longevity aspect of this might put this up there as a once in a century kind of thing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Excited 1

4 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

As Dewey pointed out recently, there has been something similar to this in the models just about every winter in recent years.

Doesn't mean this won't be the historic one, though!

• Like 2

A forum for the end of the world.

Just now, iFred said:

Might be the generational event that we have all be dreaming of. As modeled, the longevity aspect of this might put this up there as a once in a century kind of thing.

My Seattle-area perspective is that at minimum, we're looking at a cold event on par with the best ones of the past 10 years. Which is already a huge overachievement for a Nino year. 

Then you pair that with this crazy Kona low amplification scenario and I think you're absolutely right that the sky is the limit. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

As Dewey pointed out recently, there has been something similar to this in the models just about every winter in recent years.

Doesn't mean this won't be the historic one, though!

Me and my brother talk about it, something changed a few years ago, we have had a bunch of snow here the last 5 years.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Sensing this event is going to be very snowy for western WA.    Likely will be positioned perfectly between cold air and moisture sources. 

My thoughts precisely. Stalling and flattening of trough could result in longer period of snow somewhere

• Like 2

But both the EPS and the control run are doing the elongation thing much more so than previous runs.

• Like 3

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

4 minutes ago, Mid Valley Duck said:

Models are picking up on some ridge merging/reorganization in the Day 7-10 range

My fear is that Phil's all powerful Nino -NAO is going to swallow up our Pacific block.

Just gotta hope that the GOA block holds out long enough to force the cold air sufficiently in position.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Popcorn 1
  • Weenie 1

A forum for the end of the world.

Models are looking great this morning!

2023 - 2024 Cold Season Stats

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Coldest High Temp - 21 (Jan 13)

Coldest Low Temp - 9 (Jan 13)

Number of Freezes - 51

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3

1 minute ago, Front Ranger said:

My fear is that Phil's all-powerful -NAO is going to swallow up our Pacific block.

Just gotta hope that the GOA block holds out long enough to force the cold air sufficiently in position.

That doesn’t make physical sense but ok. 😆 

Also -NAO trended weaker this run. Less of a poleward element to the NATL wavebreak.

• Popcorn 1

Just now, Cascadia_Wx said:

Maybe breaking the January curse will finally mean we break the hot summer curse too.

That would be a dream come true. I dread the summer heat, it's a slow death..

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

But both the EPS and the control run are doing the elongation thing much more so than previous runs.

Which makes sense if you really think about it. I suspect that trend will continue to some degree.

• Like 2