January 2024 Weather in the PNW (Part I)

3 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

I guess what I'm wondering is say in the last 15 years have we had a situation where at 1 week out every model was showing a big arctic event and have it all taken away and not happen at all?

Guess it depends on the definition of not happen at all. Even January 2005 led to a sad sack ice storm here.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

1 minute ago, Phil said:

The way the GFS just mows down the GOA blocking looks suspicious to me. Good chance the Euro/CMC trend more progressive, but I’ll wager the GFS is overdoing it.

As always a compromise of sorts seems likely rather than a full cave. Which still IMO at worst puts us in the crosshairs for a pretty good low level outflow event at least for a good chunk of the region. Non-event looking less and less likely.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Was there a big pull back at all?

I don't remember a pullback, but I think there was some waffling back and forth between the models with the temps and which was calling for higher. Ultimately Euro was closer in actual temps I think, but I do think GFS was the first to see the pattern. (Could be wrong though. Was just a lurker at the time.)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

There isn't even much NAO blocking in North America when this gets set into motion. It's a pretty weird pattern progression, tough to find any matching analogs.

ec-fast_z500a_namer_5.png

Tonga'd

4 minutes ago, Sunriver Snow Zone said:

This is like the war of 1812.... UK/Canada vs USA. Hopefully there's a different winner this time...

So you're rooting for the GFS?

Everyone knows 1812 was a victory for the Brits/Canada - they got what they wanted (i.e. for the US to bugger off)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

It has been a long time since the NWS issued a sws about the possible cold this far out.

Social media is a bad thing. Unless it’s used for politics, of course.

• scream 1

1 minute ago, westcoastexpat said:

Everyone knows 1812 was a victory for the Brits/Canada - they got what they wanted (i.e. for the US to bugger off)

Wow I just confirmed the stereotype that Americans suck at history.... what have I done....

Coldest temp this winter: -7 Jan 13th

Snow depth at Mount Bachelor (last updated April 29th) 88"

Snow depth at my home (updated April 29th) late season 1"!

23-24 seasonal snowfall at home (updated April 29th) 92"!!

2 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

It has been a long time since the NWS issued a sws about the possible cold this far out.

I think it's a good move because social media hype has hit this story and with government offices being closed next Monday, when it could potentially be quite cold, they would want to make sure local governments have some time to plan and have contingencies rather than trying to pull people in on a 3-day weekend. 

Snow depth got up to 5" but now it's sunny, and the snow settled and compacted at 3". Off to work now, I'll be back to model riding at 8 something!

Perhaps I'll post a picture on the way to mt bachelor if it looks nice...

• Like 2

Coldest temp this winter: -7 Jan 13th

Snow depth at Mount Bachelor (last updated April 29th) 88"

Snow depth at my home (updated April 29th) late season 1"!

23-24 seasonal snowfall at home (updated April 29th) 92"!!

1 minute ago, westcoastexpat said:

Difference between now and 1812 is we have a superior military but an inferior weather model. 😆 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, MWG said:

All I know is I can't do this for another week 😂. I'm just glad I saw snow fall even though it didn't stick.

It snowed at your location today?

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel), 4/5/24 (T)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)

Mom is texting me asking what to do, she says the media is all over it and making it sound scary, I don't watch the news so I'm not sure. I told them get ready for some snow and cold for at least a few days, make sure you have gas for the generator.  I do believe it's coming and will be a decent to good event.

• Like 7

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

2 minutes ago, Anti Marine Layer said:

Hope there will be a lot of snow. 

It's a bit too early to start forecasting snow chances. Verbatim the models are showing barely any snow due to the dry Arctic air mass. Odds would actually be better for Oregon in this sort of set up.

But global models are not going to pick up on arctic fronts this far out, and we know those can really produce in these situations.

At this point, I want to see some more clarity on how far the cold advances as I think that will make a big difference in the snow chances.

Personally I love snow and hate dry and cold so I'm hoping for a less cold solution than the operational runs are suggesting.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, westcoastexpat said:

It's a bit too early to start forecasting snow chances. Verbatim the models are showing barely any snow due to the dry Arctic air mass. Odds would actually be better for Oregon in this sort of set up.

But global models are not going to pick up on arctic fronts this far out, and we know those can really produce in these situations.

At this point, I want to see some more clarity on how far the cold advances as I think that will make a big difference in the snow chances.

Personally I love snow and hate dry and cold so I'm hoping for a less cold solution than the operational runs are suggesting.

I'd love to see a real arctic front like 1990 again. Even November 2010 was nothing compared to 1990. Most everyone on this forum have not experienced a powerful arctic front in the Puget Sound. I'm talking 70mph winds and a 20 degree temp crash in 1 hr. It was insane.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Mom is texting me asking what to do, she says the media is all over it and making it sound scary, I don't watch the news so I'm not sure. I told them get ready for some snow and cold for at least a few days, make sure you have gas for the generator.  I do believe it's coming and will be a decent to good event.

Does your mom live out on the peninsula also? 

16 minutes ago, westcoastexpat said:

It's funny because in Canada, the War of 1812 is everywhere. You Canadians are taught that you won the war (I actually tend to agree with that since you avoided being conquered). In the US we are taught that while we did try to capture Canada, the main focus was impressment of sailors, the US outgunning the British navy, and that the British burned down the White House in revenge for York(Toronto). It was really a draw but because of Baltimore / Star Spangled Banner and the rout of the British at New Orleans (after the war had ended), we felt good enough to call it a win.

It's also funny because the war was huge for Canada remaining independent, but it has a lot of cultural significance here due to the anthem, the impact of the White House burning /current name, making Jackson a household name, and backstabbing the native Americans. People got mad back in 2014 when the British consulate made a joke about burning the white house with sparkler candles. Some people can't take a joke...or a model run. But the war is forgotten in the UK. 

That said, I'm rooting for Team Europe (not UK Met) to conquer us. Team Euro!!!

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel), 4/5/24 (T)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)

4 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

I’ve got four texts from people in the last 24 hours or so basically asking if they should flee to equatorial regions.

• lol 2
  • Storm 1
  • bongocat-test 1

I think the most positive thing I'm seeing about this is that there seems to be a decent amount of margin for error in terms of what can happen leading up to this and still get good results. That low blowing up Monday evening - Tuesday is looking pretty much like a lock now but it seems that can be allowed to happen and it is still possible or even likely that the cold air eventually makes it down. 

The crap GFS run is much less worrying with the Euro still holding relatively steady compared to other models. The GEM solution is great but it has looked wildly different every run for a while now. It is a pretty complex evolution given how hard the UKMET, GEM and GFS are flailing around run to run. 

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

did you send her copies of the GFS, GEM or Euro?

5 minutes ago, Perturbed Member said:

I think the most positive thing I'm seeing about this is that there seems to be a decent amount of margin for error in terms of what can happens leading up to this and still get good results. That low blowing up Monday evening - Tuesday is looking pretty much like a lock now but it seems that can be allowed to happen and it is still possible or even likely that the cold air eventually makes it down. 

The crap GFS run is much less worrying with the Euro still holding relatively steady compared to other models. The GEM solution is great but it has looked wildly different every run for a while now. It is a pretty complex evolution given how hard the UKMET, GEM and GFS are flailing around run to run. 

When there is that much cold at the border it almost always finds a way to move south, not always but a lot of the time.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Perturbed Member said:

I think the most positive thing I'm seeing about this is that there seems to be a decent amount of margin for error in terms of what can happens leading up to this and still get good results. That low blowing up Monday evening - Tuesday is looking pretty much like a lock now but it seems that can be allowed to happen and it is still possible or even likely that the cold air eventually makes it down. 

Yeah, I’m not sure why that low is being viewed as such an inhibitor. It’s a surface feature and an open wave. It’d be different if it were phased with a massive ULL which led to SW’erly flow.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Pretty much all other have worked out in recent years though.  People forget the models have improved since 2005 for instance.

We still get these nasty bad runs though.

Even Jan 2020 wasn’t a total rug pull. Just ask our friends up north.

• Like 1
  • Sick 1

2 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Looks like the GFS has “lost the plot” for the time being. Glad to see the other models sticking with something decent at least.

lost, or just a POS?  maybe the latter 

Partly sunny with scattered showers currently, and 43 degrees. Hit a low of 39 early this morning. Mountains look to do well this weeekend.

Ended up with a 49/35 spread yesterday. Mostly cloudy with breezy south winds later on. Have yet to hit 50 this month at this location, could string together a pretty long stretch.

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes