January 2024 Weather in the PNW (Part I)

11 minutes ago, MV_snow said:

Even Jan 2020 wasn’t a total rug pull. Just ask our friends up north.

We did have a little snow and a couple days in the mid 30s in January 2020. Overall that’s not terrible and better than nothing. IMO here in Western Washington north of OLM I expect we see at the very least something similar to that. Potentially more than that hopefully.  Either way I am hoping for something much better than that. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TacomaWx said:

We did have a little snow and a couple days in the mid 30s in January 2020. Overall that’s not terrible and better than nothing. IMO here in Western Washington north of OLM I expect we see at the very least something similar to that. Potentially more than that hopefully.  Either way I am hoping for something much better than that. 

That’s about the lowest bar possible for an event down here. It just got chilly for a few days with cold rain and some highs around 40

• Like 2

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

2 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

That’s about the lowest bar possible for an event down here. It just got chilly for a few days with cold rain and some highs around 40

I remember some pretty heavy graupel showers here with that. Definitely disappointing though, but I didn't follow models or anything much back then.

• Like 1

Just now, Cascadia_Wx said:

Yeah, I am really hoping that we see something much better more on the scale of December 2021. No idea what’ll happen at all yet though!
 I just think atleast here up north we will see a little something at the worst. I am worried there will be a N/S cutoff of disappointment somewhere in the region which sucks. 

It's pretty funny to click through the Daily High/Low ensembles and see the Euro and GEM showing extremes and the GFS staying moderate. This isn't a comment on the likelihood of either outcome, rather it is comment on how bat sh** crazy that looks to folks who've been following this stuff for a long time.

GFS was always what you looked at when you wanted to see extremes and feed the fantasy. It was the ice cream sundae and the tray of brownies.

The Euro was always what you looked at when you had travel plans and wanted to be assured that nothing extreme was expected. It was the chicken and rice w/ steamed veggies.

It is just a funny and feels weird.

• Like 7

--------------------

Sean Nyberg

IG: @SeanNyberg

X:   @SeanNyberg

Facebook: Sean Nyberg

1 minute ago, Front Ranger said:

How much are they paying you?

Rather than being corporate shills for a drink that tastes like Blue Fabuloso, people should just close their eyes, meditate, and follow the sacred mantra.

• Like 2
  • lol 2
  • Confused 1
  • Snow 1
  • bongocat-test 1

5 minutes ago, SeanNyberg said:

It's pretty funny to click through the Daily High/Low ensembles and see the Euro and GEM showing extremes and the GFS staying moderate. This isn't a comment on the likelihood of either outcome, rather it is comment on how bat sh** crazy that looks to folks who've been following this stuff for a long time.

GFS was always what you looked at when you wanted to see extremes and feed the fantasy. It was the ice cream sundae and the tray of brownies.

The Euro was always what you looked at when you had travel plans and wanted to be assured that nothing extreme was expected. It was the chicken and rice w/ steamed veggies.

It is just a funny and feels weird.

And the bad part is sometimes the silly gfs is correct!

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

1 hour ago, BLI snowman said:

Yeah, this would be a way bigger whiff from the Euro if this thing fizzles. It never looked remotely this good in 2020, let alone for 5-6 consecutive runs and coupled with the EPS support.

Yeah, I think every Euro run since that first 00z run showing a blast has shown something ranging from very cold backdoor air mass to a massive arctic blast. No run has completely given us nothing yet, which is encouraging. If this completrly busts I'll be pretty surprised after the Euro runs

• Like 5

More than just a glimmer of hope left, huh... good afternoon folks 

• Like 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Looks like a nice event late in the run on the EC but I’m mentally prepared for a rug pull and a big nothing burger.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

EPS bottomed out at -11.6 on the 850s.  Colder than yesterday's 12z.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

3 minutes ago, RentonHill said:

Just a few stinkers left. 30% glancing blow, 30% legit and 30% prolific. At this range we have to start giving the operational more weight though ya? Just how much idk but I’m glad they are in the better camp IMG_6746.thumb.png.97d1d47f9d6b5f8376c0e155cb3f7760.png

Here it is for Portland at hour 150. 40% hit -11.8c or lower, 30% are -4.9 to -10.7 and the remaining 30% are warmer than that. Both the Op and control fall in the middle 30% but eventually get to the coldest bucket 2 days later.

IMG_3486.png

• Like 1

Even today it's only 39 out there right now.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Based on my years of lurking this feels like it’s all going to plan. The historic runs, pepto eye candy, the first rug pull, trusted models hanging on to a moderated solution, etc. Seems like most folks are in for something better than decent, especially considering how terrible expectations were just a month ago.

I’m def curious how these newer AI models perform - seems like the Spire has been all in for days right? 

tl;dr - It’s still coming! ❄️ 

• Like 1

Portland | Raleigh Hills/West Sylvan | 350’

”All models are wrong, some are useful.”

-G. Box

12 minutes ago, RentonHill said:

Just a few stinkers left. 30% glancing blow, 30% legit and 30% prolific. At this range we have to start giving the operational more weight though ya? Just how much idk but I’m glad they are in the better camp IMG_6746.thumb.png.97d1d47f9d6b5f8376c0e155cb3f7760.png

Nice to see that the OP isn’t an outlier.

2024 Warm Season Stats

Number of 80+ days - 1

Number of 85+ days - 1 (warmest so far - 85)

Number of 90+ days - 0

Number of 95+ days - 0

Number of 60+ lows - 0

Those easterlies would be brutal next week as that low swings to our south 

• Like 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

3 minutes ago, van city said:

Screenshot_20240106_123542_X.thumb.jpg.3c1572b11e5f2b86755f5fd28c584ede.jpgScreenshot_20240106_123551_X.thumb.jpg.2e205dbc3529cb494b0f56790330201c.jpgScreenshot_20240106_123558_X.thumb.jpg.d0ff1383accb42cfeb109bcdf6b39149.jpg

WTF does climate fueled mean?

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

ICON 12z has Portland in the mid to upper 40s on Saturday. LOL

The trend isn't great folks. Nearly +20 degree surface temps from the last run.

Torched.

• scream 1
  • Sick 1

--------------------

Sean Nyberg

IG: @SeanNyberg

X:   @SeanNyberg

Facebook: Sean Nyberg

2 minutes ago, westcoastexpat said:

Looking fairly likely that we return to seasonal after a few days but honestly I'd say that a few days of temperatures remaining below freezing before a return to seasonal is still a pretty big win for a strong Nino 

Was listening to a bit on City News concerning shelter space for the unhoused around E Hastings. I wouldn't call it a win.