February 2024 Weather in the PNW

Warm day! I thought Jim said we were going to be cooler from here on out after Tuesday due to dropping 850’s! 

Edited by MossMan
  • lol 2

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

4 minutes ago, the_convergence_zone said:

58 at KSEA, which makes it the warmest February day at KSEA since 2/25/2016. 

Breaking the January curse probably leads to a more spring-like February.    It would be nice for January to take over as the most wintry month of the year again and let February be more spring-like.   I am not a fan of a warm January and then starting winter in February as the days get longer.   Seems backwards.   The progression so far this year makes more sense.  

• Like 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Looks like we got to 63F.

EUG hit 61F

Depressing.

• Weenie 2

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Just now, TT-SEA said:

Breaking the January curse probably leads to a more spring-like February.    It would be nice for January to take over as the most wintry month of the year again and let February be more spring-like.   I am not a fan of a warm January and then starting winter in February as the days get longer.   Seems backwards.   The progression so far this year makes more sense.  

If we can get a nice fat upper level Arctic airmass smacking us with heavy moisture like what we had with the ice storm just as snow instead then we will have a nice foot plus on the ground with multiple sub freezing highs. It'll happen again.

• Like 4

Personal Stats:

Venmo

7 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I would have no problem with this pattern at all if mountain snowpack was anywhere near normal. The soil is extremely saturated here after 17+ inches of rain in 2 months. 

Unfortunately, we are in desperate need of another mountain snow cycle. 

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

Even with the cooling upper levels, southerly winds and a filling sfc low are giving us the most mixed profile since September, maximizing the warmth today. Tomorrow will be similar, if not a little cooler.

• Like 1

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

No doubt we're getting much less warning on this possible SSW compared to the last one.  There was no sign of this a few days ago.  Now a lot of members are on board.  

The GFS is fully on board for the warming, but still unsure about the PV splitting.  Things might get interesting later in the month.

Thu 01 Feb 2024

• Like 3
  • Excited 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

16 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

Even with the cooling upper levels, southerly winds and a filling sfc low are giving us the most mixed profile since September, maximizing the warmth today. Tomorrow will be similar, if not a little cooler.

Obviously it's going to get cooler.  Tonight will be down in 30s for a lot of places.

• Shivering 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

30 minutes ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

EUG hit 61F

Depressing.

It's just taking some time to transition to the cooler regime.  Frustrating I know.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

35 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

We are in agreement here.  Lately Feb has been doing way too much of the heavy lifting for winter weather.  It has even outperformed the 1950s through 1970s for cold lately.

We still have some chilly weather coming up though.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

16 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

You’re on a streak! How many consecutive 60-burgers is that? Five? Six?

6 for Springfield. 5 out of 6 for EUG.

• Like 1
  • Sick 1

Personal Stats:

Venmo

1 hour ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

EUG hit 61F

Depressing.

Depressing is probably not the right word for this. Most of us on here don't like that this weather is happening, but it's a lot less depressing than cold rain. We can actually enjoy weather like this, it's hard to enjoy cold rain, although during cold rain you can go up to the mountains where there is snow, that is enjoyable. Most of us here wish we weren't getting this weather, but I doubt anyone actually will go outside and think to themselves "being outside in comfortable temps, with the sun shining, the birds chirping, is depressing, I'm miserable out here"

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. And this weather is making some D**n good lemonade.

• Like 3
  • Excited 1
  • Downvote 1

Coldest temp this winter: -7 Jan 13th

Snow depth at Mount Bachelor (last updated March 27th) 107"

Snow depth at my home (updated March 27th): none

23-24 seasonal snowfall at home (updated March 27th): 84"

Today was the 6th day in a row of 59F or higher here. Really beautiful sunset with virga and mammatus clouds but I didn't have my phone on me.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

2023-24: 7.0" (1/17: 3", 1/18: 1.5", 2/26: 0.5", 3/4: 2.0", Flakes: 1/11, 1/16)

17 minutes ago, Sunriver Snow Zone said:

Depressing is probably not the right word for this. Most of us on here don't like that this weather is happening, but it's a lot less depressing than cold rain. We can actually enjoy weather like this, it's hard to enjoy cold rain, although during cold rain you can go up to the mountains where there is snow, that is enjoyable. Most of us here wish we weren't getting this weather, but I doubt anyone actually will go outside and think to themselves "being outside in comfortable temps, with the sun shining, the birds chirping, is depressing, I'm miserable out here"

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. And this weather is making some D**n good lemonade.

We usually only have a couple windows of snow opportunites each winter in the lowlands.    To be depressed any time outside of those short windows would mean you live in the wrong climate.    And as far as the other comments... that is a futile effort for some here.   Of course it was a pleasant day.  

• Like 3

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

33 minutes ago, Sunriver Snow Zone said:

Stood outside in the sun today, it felt great.

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

Honestly I’m really glad the blast in January happened. Even though I didn’t get much snow out of it, it was still an amazing blast and it’s nice to see that we are still capable of pulling something off like that. I have a feeling the Puget Sound region will see something like that again and there will be more snow with it in the future.

• Like 8

2023 - 2024 Cold Season Stats

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Coldest High Temp - 21 (Jan 13)

Coldest Low Temp - 9 (Jan 13)

Number of Freezes - 51

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3

2 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

February has never been known to be spring like around here, infact all the old timers will tell you that February had always been a cold time in the northwest.  Nothing is really normal anymore anyway with the weather. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

58 minutes ago, Sunriver Snow Zone said:

For some people sunny and warm weather in the middle of winter is depressing,  no different than for some people rainy and gloomy days in the middle of summer is depressing.  Spring like weather in winter depresses me and always has. But I can't do nothing about it but relocate and that I will do soon. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

February has never been known to be spring like around here, infact all the old timers will tell you that February had always been a cold time in the northwest.  Nothing is really normal anymore anyway with the weather. 

February is and had always been a fairly transitory month. Most of our record highs down here are in the mid 60’s or higher starting around mid month, many dating back several decades. Mid 60’s with October sun angles sounds pretty springy.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

2 hours ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

If we can get a nice fat upper level Arctic airmass smacking us with heavy moisture like what we had with the ice storm just as snow instead then we will have a nice foot plus on the ground with multiple sub freezing highs. It'll happen again.

That sounds familiar! Though alas the subfreezing highs happened prior to the snowfall, so it didn’t last too long this time, alas.

IMG_0954_scaled.jpg.c7b652b412062b9884c0c3ec20ac01c1.jpg

IMG_0957_scaled.jpg.724bdc1358d9d2e5d543260ccf06c657.jpg

IMG_0956_scaled.jpg.3eac6fe698dfccc0c29d658fcdc9c44a.jpg

• Like 5
It's called clown range for a reason.

The crotch rocket riders certainly felt the seasonal vibe today. Got passed by two doing whole lane splitting thing. 50/50 they’ll survive the summer and actually experience the December REGIONAL BLAST.

• Like 4
  • Excited 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

8 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

February is and had always been a fairly transitory month. Most of our record highs down here are in the mid 60’s or higher starting around mid month, many dating back several decades. Mid 60’s with October sun angles sounds pretty springy.

60's happen in January as well. 

38 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Every time there is a marine layer day in mid to late August or an actual cold front with rain literally everyone on here will say it was a taste of fall or felt fall-like.   You embrace that utter excitement.   This is essentially the same thing on the other side.   Of course its still winter... but any sunny or partly sunny day in the 50s or low 60s now will feel spring-like to most people   I guarantee there will be blossoming trees this month around the Seattle area.    Its been a few years since that happened in February but it definitely did in 2015 and 2016.  

13 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

The crotch rocket riders certainly felt the seasonal vibe today. Got passed by two doing whole lane splitting thing. 50/50 they’ll survive the summer and actually experience the December REGIONAL BLAST.

CHRISTMAS SEASON 2024, THE DECEMBER TO REMEMBER! LIKE 2008 BUT BETTER AND LONGER!

• Like 3
  • Excited 2
  • scream 1
  • Weenie 1

Coldest temp this winter: -7 Jan 13th

Snow depth at Mount Bachelor (last updated March 27th) 107"

Snow depth at my home (updated March 27th): none

23-24 seasonal snowfall at home (updated March 27th): 84"

8 minutes ago, Sunriver Snow Zone said:

CHRISTMAS SEASON 2024, THE DECEMBER TO REMEMBER! LIKE 2008 BUT BETTER AND LONGER!

Perfect! I will get 4 feet of snow snow this time around instead of the measly 3 feet that I got in 2008. 

IMG_2491.jpeg

• Like 3
  • bongocat-test 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

47 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

Speaking of foreshadowing events to come... I went down a rabbit hole of WSDOT highway videos from the 1980s last night and was thinking these two people walking over to Lake Washington with their inflatable rafts on a hot summer day in July 1985 in Kirkland had no idea what was about to come just 4 months later.   I wanted to be in the car and yell out the window that November is going to be epic!  

1985.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excited 2

3 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Speaking of foreshadowing events to come... I went down a rabbit hole of WSDOT highway videos from the 1980s last night and was thinking these two people walking over to Lake Washington with their inflatable rafts on a hot summer day in July 1985 in Kirkland had no idea what about to come just come just 4 months later.   I wanted to be in the car and yell out the window that November is going to be epic!  

1985.jpg

love watching those archived vids to see what this place was like 40 years ago

• Like 1

I’m so out of the loop. Work has been bonkers. 

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

1 hour ago, Deweydog said:

We just had a regional blast. Nearly everyone got some freezing days.

I think you meant REGIONAL SNOWSTORM.

It's called clown range for a reason.

3 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

We just had a regional blast. Nearly everyone got some freezing days.

I think you meant REGIONAL SNOWSTORM.

But it wasn’t a LEGIT blast. It was FAKE COLD. 

• Weenie 1
  • Shivering 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.