February 2024 Weather in the PNW

30 minutes ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

I busted out the garden hoses this weekend, I'm calling it.

Also, NBC Montana posted these graphics on their FB feed this morning...

IMG_7455.JPG

IMG_7456.JPG

IMG_7457.JPG

IMG_7458.JPG

Might think twice about washing your car or watering the grass this summer if we do not build some snowpack.

• Like 3

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

So it sounds like while yes the polar vortex is in the process of breaking down, we really need the PNA to be in a negative phase (which it is not) for the right setup to emerge for major cold/snow threat in NW lowlands. That all seems fairly reasonable to me. Not sure why some are suggesting that’s so controversial but still learning the dynamics of this community and what’s real vs just friendly jabbing. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, snow_wizard said:

Details don't quite work out for us on this run, but the blocking is insane.  Perfect PV split being shown as well.  Huge potential coming up.

1708149600-wEHWaWnkhs0.png

13 hours ago, Phil said:

This run does indeed meet SSW criteria. But we’re looking past D10 at this point. And AAM tendency will be increasing again after the 8th or 9th. So even if it happens, the pattern will be a difficult one to make work.

Normally I would be reluctant to call for another Arctic Blast in an El Niño but SSW events during a moderate/strong El Niño seem to have great track records. The winter of 1968-69 had multiple Arctic Blasts and multiple SSW events. And there were extreme winter events that winter and we just had one in January. We can still get an Arctic Blast through February as we all saw last winter. We will need to see the models start getting cold though in the long range soon but it could turn on a dime and come at us quickly due to the SSW event.

Turned off my WB subscription. I don't think it'll be needed again til at least Nov.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

1 hour ago, Andstorm said:

So it sounds like while yes the polar vortex is in the process of breaking down, we really need the PNA to be in a negative phase (which it is not) for the right setup to emerge for major cold/snow threat in NW lowlands. That all seems fairly reasonable to me. Not sure why some are suggesting that’s so controversial but still learning the dynamics of this community and what’s real vs just friendly jabbing. 

Signs of it getting close to going negative as we get towards later in the month. 

IMG_2544.jpeg

Edited by MossMan
  • Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

2 hours ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

I don’t disagree with your takes lately. But I do think it’s amusing how you’ve decided to put on your Mr. Realistic pants when things look the most grim for us. I miss the IceAgeLater cutoff jeans, personally!

Yeah, after being Mr. Bullish pants each of the last three Februaries, I figured it was time for a change in attire. For no particular reason. ;) 

• Popcorn 1

3 minutes ago, the_convergence_zone said:

Mid-Feb torchfest on the way for sure. Unclear what happens after that, but I would be shocked if the month didn't end above normal at KSEA and KPDX. 

Minneapolis is ridiculously overdue for some real winter this year, it looks like they will finally get an extended cold period. 

I mean, it’s pretty obvious that a killing freeze is extremely  unlikely for the remainder of the season.

• Popcorn 1

3 minutes ago, iFred said:

I mean, it’s pretty obvious that a killing freeze is extremely  unlikely for the remainder of the season.

We will get a record-breaking cold freeze in mid-April that will kill even the hardiest of plants after they've had two months of growing season. Then we will have heat wave after heat wave with no precip in sight. Followed by an early freeze to destroy whatever second planting survived the terrible early and mid summer fires. Then it's back to split flow until after Thanksgiving. 

• Like 1
  • Excited 1
  • scream 1

6 minutes ago, iFred said:

You’ve been playing pretty fast and loose with Poe’s Law lately ;)

• Popcorn 1

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

10 minutes ago, RentonHill said:

We will get a record-breaking cold freeze in mid-April that will kill even the hardiest of plants after they've had two months of growing season. Then we will have heat wave after heat wave with no precip in sight. Followed by an early freeze to destroy whatever second planting survived the terrible early and mid summer fires. Then it's back to split flow until after Thanksgiving. 

December!!!

• Spam 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

3 hours ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Is this a forecast or are these actual wind gusts?

Yes those are actual wind gusts.

• Like 1

2023 - 2024 Cold Season Stats

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Coldest High Temp - 21 (Jan 13)

Coldest Low Temp - 9 (Jan 13)

Number of Freezes - 51

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3

Looking at teleconnections alone the EPS is far from terrible.  Tanked NAO, tanked EPO, and only modestly positive PNA later in the run.  The control is minus on all three.  Overall pretty cool (chilly nights and mild days) and probably quite dry with a chance for something much better as things evolve.

• Like 1
  • lol 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Ten (10) years ago RIGHT NOW deep offshore flow was IN PROGRESS as afternoon temperatures hovered in the mid-upper 20’s with FULL SUNSHINE. This would be the LAST sunny day in the days ahead…

us_reanalyse-en_modera5_201402052100_1256_308.png

• Like 4
  • Excited 1
  • Snow 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

28 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

Ten (10) years ago RIGHT NOW deep offshore flow was IN PROGRESS as afternoon temperatures hovered in the mid-upper 20’s with FULL SUNSHINE. This would be the LAST sunny day in the days ahead…

us_reanalyse-en_modera5_201402052100_1256_308.png

And I had this much snow two days from now 10 years ago! 

IMG_2545.jpeg

• Snow 1
  • Weenie 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

21 minutes ago, Phishy Wx said:

CA getting hammered with water

I'm impressed at how well their flood control systems seem to be handling this. So far I've seen a couple of mudslides and some minor street flooding, but nothing worse than that. Maybe the worst is yet to come since I assume nobody is driving around the foothills??? 

My brother hasn't had power in San Jose for 27 hours and they said it might be a couple more days potentially. Crazy

33 minutes ago, Phishy Wx said:

Avalanche outside of Vegas in Lee Canyon

• Excited 1

2 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

My brother hasn't had power in San Jose for 27 hours and they said it might be a couple more days potentially. Crazy

Lucky bastards down there getting all of the good stuff. 😞 El Niño can rot in hell. 

• Weenie 1

Prediction time: above average temps mid Feb... surprise cold snap last week of Feb, first week of March. Snow on the ground in Willamette Valley, 3" in Portland and 2.5" in Salem. Transition from cold to warm in second week of March will produce a moderate wind storm. No real damage, but some 60+ gusts throughout. 

• Excited 1
  • Popcorn 1
  • scream 1

2 hours ago, MossMan said:

Lucky bastards down there getting all of the good stuff. 😞 El Niño can rot in hell. 

El Niño is proof god exists. 🥰

• Downvote 2
  • Troll 2
  • Spam 1

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

El Niño is proof god exists. 🥰

At least our cold/snow teleconnections are aligned with negative temperature anomalies down there as well. Much more satisfying!

• Like 4

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

2 hours ago, Phishy Wx said:

at least the carbon in the atmosphere is increasing pretty quickly now.  should lead to more nice SPRING early February days in the future

Managed to capture the year over year background bump at home. If lower public education standards, toddler iPad addiction, and the competency crisis don’t bring us into idiocracy, a background CO2 at over 600 will.

• Like 1

Been quite the drippy afternoon. 
Currently dripping and 39 degrees.

.08” on the day. I thought Tim said a few days ago that we were looking dry this week…