February 2024 Weather in the PNW

3 minutes ago, Phishy Wx said:

how many vacations do you take a year?  have you ever looked in the mirror and gained any sense of self-awareness?

Rhetorical question I assume. 

• Popcorn 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Just now, Cascadia_Wx said:

Neither do pictures from Hawaii or the long rants that prompted that response.

Hey you guys look at the pics of all the vacays I take.  Check out my boat and all the boat show brochures.  Look at this guy down the roads gated driveway.  no one cares

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Phishy Wx said:

Hey you guys look at the pics of all the vacays I take.  Check out my boat and all the boat show brochures.  Look at this guy down the roads gated driveway.  no one cares

His legal team will be here soon enough. I smell a cease and desist order in your near future!

Edited by Cascadia_Wx
  • Like 1
  • Excited 1

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

3 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Neither do pictures from Hawaii or the long rants that prompted that response.

I’m not agreeing or disagreeing with anyone. I only agree with the thread being dominated by non PNW stuff being annoying. I get it’s slow but many of us aren’t here to read takes on the homeless population of Hawaii or talking about the resorts there. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TacomaWx said:

I’m not agreeing or disagreeing with anyone. I only agree with the thread being dominated by non PNW stuff being annoying. I get it’s slow but many of us aren’t here to read takes on the homeless population of Hawaii or talking about the resorts there. 

Fair, and I agree.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

Typical slow weather clog up the forum type of convo.  What I hate is when sports are being interjected into a model riding discussion, during an interesting model riding time period.   That and a quick negative political comment for no reason

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Phishy Wx said:

so where is he supposed to go to the bathroom?  businesses often keep their doors to bathrooms locked in big cities.  why don't you contribute some of your $$$ to help the homeless, go volunteer at a soup kitchen or shelter.  they're not the problem, our 'system' is the problem.  If you're not helping find solutions you're just part of the capitalistic problem

REVOLUTION NOW! FROM THE PALOUSE TO THE SEA, CASCADIA SHALL BE FREE! LET THE STREETS RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF OUR SLAVERS AS WE WORKERS UNITE TO END THE INJUSTICE BROUGHT ON BY REACTIONARIES, COLONIZERS, CAPITALISTS, AND RACISTS! TO THE WALL WITH THEM ALL!

Also a nice morning here on stolen Duwamish land, with temperatures in the upper 30s and birds chirping in the distance.

• Excited 2
  • lol 3
  • Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, iFred said:

REVOLUTION NOW! FROM THE PALOUSE TO THE SEA, CASCADIA SHALL BE FREE! LET THE STREETS RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF OUR SLAVERS AS WE WORKERS UNITE TO END THE INJUSTICE BROUGHT ON BY REACTIONARIES, COLONIZERS, CAPITALISTS, AND RACISTS! TO THE WALL WITH THEM ALL!

Also a nice morning here on stolen Duwamish land, with temperatures in the upper 30s and birds chirping in the distance.

Been watching a squirrel munch on bird seed dropped from the feeder for the last half hour! He runs off the birds trying to have their breakfast. 

• Like 1
  • Excited 1
  • bongocat-test 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

11 minutes ago, Randyc321 said:

Typical slow weather clog up the forum type of convo.  What I hate is when sports are being interjected into a model riding discussion, during an interesting model riding time period.   That and a quick negative political comment for no reason

I’ve just kind of leaned towards not checking in on the forum much when it gets slow in the weather department recently. Boredom seems to lead to chippy altercations and conversations here. Bound to happen when the weather isn’t that interesting. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, iFred said:

Phishy had sort of a good point, if you’re going to complain about a problem like that, donating to a shelter or even volunteering might be a worthwhile use of money and time. Sort of disappointing to see it reduced to strawman rhetoric.

It’s always nice when I don’t have to carry the water against weather evil. 

• Thanks 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

26 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

Totally agree.   There are often long diversions about various topics on here that aren't related to PNW weather.   I just had to comment on the area after several people said they stayed in the same place we are now.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

15 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Phishy had sort of a good point, if you’re going to complain about a problem like that, donating to a shelter or even volunteering might be a worthwhile use of money and time. Sort of disappointing to see it reduced to strawman rhetoric.

Yeah... not about volunteering here.    And we have done things like that when my sons were young.   My sense here is that this is truly a lifestyle choice for most of the people on the beaches and they wouldn't move no matter what you gave them.   The problem is that its allowed.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

5 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

It’s always nice when I don’t have to carry the water against weather evil. 

Give up your weather forum "character" Andrew... you don't believe for a second that I am evil.    Nor is anyone else on here.

22 minutes ago, Randyc321 said:

That annoys me, but I also find it odd that the sports fora are in the West of the Rockies weather group instead of the Off Topic one, where one would think they belong. At least I would think they belong there. Sports and weather are two distinctly different topics.

It’s sent me into the wrong topic more than once. I realize that’s partly my fault for not reading the topic title, but the categorization still strikes me as odd.

Then again, it’s a world of sports meatheads and I am in the minority.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

1 hour ago, Phishy Wx said:

so where is he supposed to go to the bathroom?  businesses often keep their doors to bathrooms locked in big cities.  why don't you contribute some of your $$$ to help the homeless, go volunteer at a soup kitchen or shelter.  they're not the problem, our 'system' is the problem.  If you're not helping find solutions you're just part of the capitalistic problem

Sorry... one last response to this silliness.  Maybe the ocean where at least nature would take care of it?    Or all the portables and park facilities available?    There has to be some accountability right?  Both sides are the problem.  Too easy for people to fall through the cracks and too easy for people to just do whatever they want.   We were talking to people from Europe yesterday here and... well you know their response.    

22 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

#Shrug emoticon

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

That annoys me, but I also find it odd that the sports fora are in the West of the Rockies weather group instead of the Off Topic one, where one would think they belong. At least I would think they belong there. Sports and weather are two distinctly different topics.

It’s sent me into the wrong topic more than once. I realize that’s partly my fault for not reading the topic title, but the categorization still strikes me as odd.

Then again, it’s a world of sports meatheads and I am in the minority.

But us "sports meatheads" should be able to happily co-exist with normal people!

• Like 1

So what are we all thinking for chances of and/or strength of la niña by next winter. models seem to be holding steady in the minus .5-1 range, so maybe weak to moderate. I’ve said this before but this winter has been a helpful reminder that this stuff really does matter — the good and the bad. It would be fun going into a winter knowing we’re in business. And I’m not too disappointed about prospects of this spring being more warm and dry. Nothing more annoying than springs being dominated by patterns that we begged for in heart of winter. 

• Like 4
  • Excited 1
  • Popcorn 1

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

But us "sports meatheads" should be able to happily co-exist with normal people!

Yeah didn’t realize I was such a meathead because I enjoy watching our local sports teams, and commenting about them once in a great while when something big happens was such a travesty! 

Wish I was a normal person that hated sports. 😞

• Weenie 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

1 minute ago, MossMan said:

Yeah didn’t realize I was such a meathead because I enjoy watching our local sports teams, and commenting about them once in a great while when something big happens was such a travesty! 

Pretty sure we are both married to people who wish the same!  

• lol 1

9 minutes ago, Andstorm said:

So what are we all thinking for chances of and/or strength of la niña by next winter. models seem to be holding steady in the minus .5-1 range, so maybe weak to moderate. I’ve said this before but this winter has been a helpful reminder that this stuff really does matter — the good and the bad. It would be fun going into a winter knowing we’re in business. And I’m not too disappointed about prospects of this spring being more warm and dry. Nothing more annoying than springs being dominated by patterns that we begged for in heart of winter. 

I would take an inverse of last spring. On the mild and dry side through sometime in April, then transitioning to a cooler regime with showers at times into early summer. Otherwise we will be looking at big time fire weather problems with the dismal snowpack. Springs that are dominated with great winter patterns are stellar for mountain snow, which is our water supply.

Edited by Cascadia_Wx
  • Like 2
  • Excited 1
  • scream 1

11 minutes ago, Andstorm said:

I want some neutrals

oni1990.png

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MossMan said:

The posters here who don’t really follow sports are a clear minority. Obviously being into them or not are both ok, no one is saying either is bad so cool the brakes on the self pity express. But, to those who have no idea/don’t care what’s going on sports-wise, a page on the weather side dominated by sports references can be annoying.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

42 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Lots of angry Elves on the forum this morning!! 
image.gif

I think they're south pole elves.

• Excited 1

Coldest temp this winter: -7 Jan 13th

Snow depth at Mount Bachelor (last updated March 27th) 107"

Snow depth at my home (updated March 27th): none

23-24 seasonal snowfall at home (updated March 27th): 84"

1 minute ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

I’m pretty sure that I’m the weirdo here and that the meatheads are the majority.

If it were otherwise, pro sports would not be a viable business venture.

Either way... weather is our common ground here so your point is totally fair.  

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, MossMan said:

I don't hate sports, I just don't talk about them here.  in fact i'm a huge sports fan

• Excited 1
  • scream 1

2 minutes ago, Phishy Wx said:

if it plays out like the 91-92 follow up it might.

otherwise I'm expecting a moderate to strong nina

2016 is another example of a softer Nino transition to basically cool neutral.  

image.png

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

2016 is another example of a softer Nino transition to basically cool neutral.  

image.png

It better not be neutral this year!

• Like 1

Coldest temp this winter: -7 Jan 13th

Snow depth at Mount Bachelor (last updated March 27th) 107"

Snow depth at my home (updated March 27th): none

23-24 seasonal snowfall at home (updated March 27th): 84"