February 2024 Weather in the PNW

1 minute ago, TacomaWx said:

Both of you guys shouldn’t directly or indirectly quote or make comments toward/about eachother anymore. That would solve the majority of the bickering the forum sees. As entertaining as it may be at times it doesn’t look good on either of you when you do it. You’re both good contributors and I don’t want either of you guys to be banned or leave. I’m sure nothing will change with me saying this…but the solutions are there. 

Ultimately that is the problem... the real solution is to acknowledge and talk to each other as human beings.    I am trying.    I won't ever turn away a chance at an olive branch.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

5 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Side note... please find one post where I personally "attacked" anyone on here.  You are pretending I am attacking you but won't have a conversation with me.   Which seems beyond silly.   Like stuff my daughter does with her middle school friends. 

The last thing you claim was a personal attack on you was me saying San Diego transplants might actually enjoy rainy or snowy weather more than natives.   After you specifically brought up San Diego transplants.  

27c4cdeb-1d6e-47e9-9cad-64a8c3983fb3_tex

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

The last couple pages have been a very weird looking olive branch. Maybe some cold freaks injected roundup into the tree.

Glad to see you don't actually have ignore on as you keep using my words before they are quoted.   Now maybe we can talk once in awhile?   

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

27 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

And please don’t bother to respond to this Matt. I know you will do the typical trick of not addressing the point I’m making and somehow deflecting to another topic that puts me in a less favorable light while somehow getting another nice juicy jab on my personality in there too. I can already imagine your response without having to read it.

It’s where Tim is spot on amongst his gaslighting of you. You always paint yourself as the victim in the end…

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

3 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

It’s where Tim is spot on amongst his gaslighting of you. You always paint yourself as the victim in the end…

And where am I spot on, oh one sided one? Let’s never talk about that.

Dealing with either of you is an exercise in frustration, and ultimately a waste of time and bandwidth. That isn’t a victim mentality. That’s just pragmatism at this point.

• Rain 1

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

58 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

There’s someone loving 🥰 this post who you could say the exact same thing to. Or many other posters here. Just reverse preferences. Your opinion would hold a lot more weight if you could clearly see it from both sides, despite the fact that you have done a VERY good job at convincing yourself that you do.

I guess maybe I should be flattered to a degree that I seem to be your main project here?

It also confuses me how Dewey, does his “real talk” thing for only you. I’m not exactly aware of your relationship, but I’ve always found it bizarre. Everyone else gets a sarcastic “KOLD” or “WHET” type comment

• Like 1

Bend, OR

Elevation: 3550'

Snow History:

Nov: 1"

Dec: .5"

Jan: 1.9"

Feb: 12.7"

Mar: 1.0"

Total: 17.1"

2016/2017: 70"

2015/2016: 34"

Average: ~25"

2017/2018 Winter Temps

Lowest Min: 1F on 2/23

Lowest Max: 23F on 12/24, 2/22

Lows <32: 87

Highs <32: 13

Just now, DareDuck said:

It also confuses me how he does his “real talk” thing for only you. I’m not exactly aware of your relationship, but I’ve always found it bizarre. Everyone else gets a sarcastic “KOLD” or “WHET” type comment

I can only read it as some perverse form of flattery. But yeah, I’d rather it didn’t happen period.

1 minute ago, Deweydog said:

This self-pity "cold freak" stuff is tiresome.   Such a chip on his shoulder.   At this point in my life... I don't care if someone wants it to be 25 degrees and snowing all summer.  Whatever floats your boat.   I just like what I like... no one else has to agree.   Life is too short.  

• Angry 1

8 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

And where am I spot on, oh one sided one? Let’s never talk about that.

Dealing with either of you is an exercise in frustration, and ultimately a waste of time and bandwidth. That isn’t a victim mentality. That’s just pragmatism at this point.

You’re spot on about plenty. Knowledge, funny, etc. So is Tim. You both just can’t let things go. Plenty of what people have an issue with when it comes to Tim resonates with me and he knows that. None of us instigators are anything close to angels. You two just spend way too much time trying to convince yourselves of some pretend superiority over it. 

Edited by Deweydog
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, DareDuck said:

It also confuses me how Dewey, does his “real talk” thing for only you. I’m not exactly aware of your relationship, but I’ve always found it bizarre. Everyone else gets a sarcastic “KOLD” or “WHET” type comment

Because Jesse begs for his opinion.    Matt has called me out many times too and rightfully so.  

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

Because Jesse begs for his opinion.    Matt has called me out many times too.    

It’s a strange relationship dynamic, but living in his crawl space for the last six months probably hasn’t helped.

• Like 3
  • lol 1
  • Weenie 1

10 minutes ago, DareDuck said:

For awhile early on to me being here I honestly thought they were friends in real life or something and it was all some type of elaborate inside joke. I guess on a certain level it kind of is one big inside joke 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

I need to get outside. It’s not a bad day out by any means. Hope PDX can stay sub-50 another day!

You should! Great day actually, cloudy and cool with some sun peeks and no east winds finally. Took the dog out for a nice run 🏃🏻 🍺 

• Like 2

Portland | Raleigh Hills/West Sylvan | 350’

”All models are wrong, some are useful.”

-G. Box

3 hours ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

The loss of glaciers in the Cascades and Olympics has accelerated rapidly since the 1970s. There is literally no debate there. Recent hot summers have played a huge role. It’s not like they’ve just been steadily declining at a linear rate the last 300 years. There was a period in the 30 years before the 70s when many Cascade glaciers actually advanced. There was also a period in the late 1800s through the 1920s where they advanced some, followed by one of the first modern periods of retreat in the 1920s-40s.

Hazard Stevens and Philemon Beecher Von Trump were the first to summit Rainier in 1870.  Stevens returned to the summit in 1905 and had this to say:  "I made the ascent again in 1905 and then, as likewise on my recent trip, I observed that the snow and gaciers had receded to a considerable degree since I first visited them. At the time Stevens Glacier came close up to Sluiskin Faslls. Now it is several hundred feet farther from them. The smal crater on the summit in which we slept in 1870 was filled with solid ice but in 1905 it had nearly all melted out. It may be that a succession of wet seasons will restore these glaciers to their former limits."

Sure this little tasty tidbit of info may not really mean much in the big picture but still like to point it out.  I know they summited in August of 1870 but not sure what month it was when he returned in 1905?  The book BTW which was written in the 70's is an awesome source of the mountains history.

IMG_1204.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

You’re spot on about plenty. Knowledge, funny, etc. So is Tim. You both just can’t let things go. Plenty of what people have an issue with when it comes to Tim resonates with me and he knows that. None of us instigators are anything close to angels. You two just spend way too much time trying to convince yourselves of some pretend superiority over it. 

I know I’m down in the mud with everyone else in many ways. But I have made a real effort to try to hold my tongue more when it comes to appraising others here, personally. On the other hand I’ve literally lost count of how many sweeping claims about negative aspects of my personality I’ve had to essentially try to shrug off today. And no I’m not crybabying or victimizing myself, I have enough self confidence to know a lot of what’s being said is unfair, straight up incorrect, or at least based on the incomplete view of my character presented this forum. But if someone is truly interested in improving relations with me, that seems like a very strange way to go about it. It’s not making things any better.

Ultimately I think @TacomaWx is correct. Maybe someday that will change, but that time isn’t now.

2 minutes ago, Phishy Wx said:

You guys need Group Therapy

Every single one of us do! 

• Like 2
  • Excited 1
  • bongocat-test 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Alright not to change the subject, but anyone see the story about the mountain lion attack yesterday on a Washington trail? Group of five cyclists stalked and attacked late morning, which just seems wild to me knowing what we do about these animals general aversion to humans.

Feels like these are happening with more frequency in the last 5 years or so and curious if the weather and wildfires have played a factor with habitat change, etc. or if it’s as simple as more people recreating in remote areas. Things I think about being someone who often trail runs solo with my pup 😬

• scream 1

Portland | Raleigh Hills/West Sylvan | 350’

”All models are wrong, some are useful.”

-G. Box

Just now, RaleighHillsRunner said:

Alright not to change the subject, but anyone see the story about the mountain lion attack yesterday on a Washington trail? Group of five cyclists stalked and attacked late morning, which just seems wild to me knowing what we do about these animals general aversion to humans.

Feels like these are happening with more frequency in the last 5 years or so and curious if the weather and wildfires have played a factor with habitat change, etc. or if it’s as simple as more people recreating in remote areas. Things I think about being someone who often trail runs solo with my pup 😬

My guess is the mountain lion population is a lot higher than they say officially. They've said Oregon has 6,000 for the past 25 years... We had one in our front yard a couple years ago. Lots of cougar and bear in the Silverton hills. No resident wolves yet, but we have a large deer and elk population. 

• Like 2

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

12 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

I’m curious if you’re actually bothered by the sad react thing. I think it’s funny, but I’ll stop if it actually gets to you.

I find it amusing, yet consistent.  I also like to reference known patterns.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Some slight ensemble improvement on the 18z on the first trough. Operational was a huge outlier. 

• Like 2

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

1 minute ago, RaleighHillsRunner said:

That issaquah/snoqualmie area has had a few sightings and attacks in recent years. I work up in that area everyday…and I think I’ll try and be more cautious when I am up there at 4-5am. Even before the attack earlier this weekend I’ve thought about the times I’m walking around on the jobsites by myself. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

I know I’m down in the mud with everyone else in many ways. But I have made a real effort to try to hold my tongue more when it comes to appraising others here, personally. On the other hand I’ve literally lost count of how many sweeping claims about negative aspects of my personality I’ve had to essentially try to shrug off today. And no I’m not crybabying or victimizing myself, I have enough self confidence to know a lot of what’s being said is unfair, straight up incorrect, or at least based on the incomplete view of my character presented this forum. But if someone is truly interested in improving relations with me, that seems like a very strange way to go about it. It’s not making things any better.

Ultimately I think @TacomaWx is correct. Maybe someday that will change, but that time isn’t now.

You just said over the last week I have been throwing personal attacks all over the place and you only see a small part that is quoted and you need to be teflon to deflect everything and stand tall.   Literally none of that is true.   Even the part about me being on ignore.   

Do you want me to count all the "negative" terms you used just today in regard to me?    How do you not see this?    Its just so silly.    I am saying that you throwing insults and constantly doing this veiled passive-aggressive mocking and then hiding behind ignore and not having a conversation is on you.   That is what I said.   If you see that as an attack then I have no idea what to say.  

18 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

For awhile early on to me being here I honestly thought they were friends in real life or something and it was all some type of elaborate inside joke. I guess on a certain level it kind of is one big inside joke 

Yea I’ve never known if it’s like a little bro/big bro situation where you’re more comfortable calling out your sibling or if it something else. 

• lol 1
  • Popcorn 1

Bend, OR

Elevation: 3550'

Snow History:

Nov: 1"

Dec: .5"

Jan: 1.9"

Feb: 12.7"

Mar: 1.0"

Total: 17.1"

2016/2017: 70"

2015/2016: 34"

Average: ~25"

2017/2018 Winter Temps

Lowest Min: 1F on 2/23

Lowest Max: 23F on 12/24, 2/22

Lows <32: 87

Highs <32: 13

2 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

That issaquah/snoqualmie area has had a few sightings and attacks in recent years. I work up in that area everyday…and I think I’ll try and be more cautious when I am up there at 4-5am. Even before the attack earlier this weekend I’ve thought about the times I’m walking around on the jobsites by myself. 

Wow... just read about the Fall City incident.   There was an attack on a biker in North Bend a few years back as well.   

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

This self-pity "cold freak" stuff is tiresome.   Such a chip on his shoulder.   At this point in my life... I don't care if someone wants it to be 25 degrees and snowing all summer.  Whatever floats your boat.   I just like what I like... no one else has to agree.   Life is too short.  

This i can agree with.  Sh*tting on other's preferences on weather makes no sense to me.  It's a personal opinion and nothing more.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

Wow... just read about the Fall City incident.   There was an attack on a biker in North Bend a few years back as well.   

Yeah, it’s something I’m going to be more aware of. Even though the jobsites I work on are all like 50 yards or less from the freeway. There’s been a couple times where I’m just walking around in the dark at like 4 in the morning up there and just feel like someone or somethings watching me from the woods. 

• Like 2

Just now, TT-SEA said:

I sure think about them a lot more after I saw an entire family strolling down my driveway in the middle of the night a few years ago. 

• Like 2

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth!