March 2024 Weather in the PNW

ENSO is looking chilly. Coldest spot is down to -2, and a pretty widespread area of -1 or cooler. ITS COMING!!cdas-sflux_ssta_global_1.thumb.png.e884ef78f85d29a94aa9abe020fc7392.png

• Like 5
  • scream 1

Coldest temp this winter: -7 Jan 13th

Snow depth at Mount Bachelor (last updated April 29th) 88"

Snow depth at my home (updated April 29th) late season 1"!

23-24 seasonal snowfall at home (updated April 29th) 92"!!

16 minutes ago, RentonHill said:

To all the parents with young kids, strong arms for chaos day with time change. Neither forward nor backwards has ever been good for my kids and I hate both days with a passion. Cheers! 

Not good for the kids, or the dogs! 

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

2 hours ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

I’ve always dreamed of seeing the mossy Douglas fir forests of Portugal.

For Camas, WA. 🇪🇸 

“Laza, Spain (5,185 miles away) and Montmoreau-Saint-Cybard, France (5,247 miles) are the far-away foreign places with temperatures most similar to Camas”

IMG_3080.thumb.jpeg.2649a7a6505578b1f6306a822abd5ae6.jpeg

https://weatherspark.com/y/778/Average-Weather-in-Camas-Washington-United-States-Year-Round

Sort of interesting that some places will see two separate wind events in the same day today.  The front earlier brought wind gusts to 60mph at Saturna island earlier.  The next front is quickly approaching and winds are already back up to 46mph and should top 60mph late this evening. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Frontal Snowsquall said:

This is according to weatherspark for SEA and PDX. So sort of makes sense. West of the Cascades we are a warm-summer Mediterranean climate after all.

“Paris, France (5,011 miles away) is the far-away foreign place with temperatures most similar to Seattle-Tacoma International Airport”

https://weatherspark.com/y/145236/Average-Weather-at-Seattle-Tacoma-International-Airport-Washington-United-States-Year-Round

“Vilela, Portugal (5,230 miles away) and Chalais, France(5,257 miles) are the far-away foreign places with temperatures most similar to Portland International Airport.”

https://weatherspark.com/y/145223/Average-Weather-at-Portland-International-Airport-Oregon-United-States-Year-Round

Brussels, Belgium (7,835 kilometres away) is the far-away foreign place with temperatures most similar to Vancouver International Airport (view comparison).

https://weatherspark.com/y/145203/Average-Weather-at-Vancouver-International-Airport-Canada-Year-Round

Though I think it strange they characterize our winters as “very cold” despite temperatures usually being above freezing.

• Like 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

3 hours ago, Cloud said:

Going to Vietnam next month for 1 month. Their monsoon season wrapped up couple months ago and peak heat is ramping up.  No more rain and averaging triple digits with 95%+ humidity. Need to mentally prepare for this one. 😭

Vietnam does have some highland areas where it is possible to escape the heat that afflicts much of the country. Not sure if your schedule will allow a visit to them. There is (was?) a Vietnamese-American contributor here who posted some pics from the Vietnam highlands once.

48 minutes ago, RentonHill said:

To all the parents with young kids, strong arms for chaos day with time change. Neither forward nor backwards has ever been good for my kids and I hate both days with a passion. Cheers! 

Fall back is amazing, what are you talking about man? An extra hour of sleep/you time!

Spring ahead is f**in terrible though, 1 less hour of sleep and I have to wake up at 2am and set the clocks to 3am. Wish the time change would just happen in the evening, then I'd be awake during the change and could set the clocks ahead at that time instead of in the middle of the night to change them

• lol 2
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, DeepFriedEgg said:

Crazy how torches are the only events that consistently increase in intensity and duration the closer we get to them.

It’s not a true top-tier torch, though. No 80-burgers being modelled like in some of the March best torches in historical records. (Just treating torching like some here treat cold snaps.)

8 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

It’s not a true top-tier torch, though. No 80-burgers being modelled like in some of the March best torches in historical records. (Just treating torching like some here treat cold snaps.)

That's fair. Pretty tame above average stretch of weather.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Vietnam does have some highland areas where it is possible to escape the heat that afflicts much of the country. Not sure if your schedule will allow a visit to them. There is (was?) a Vietnamese-American contributor here who posted some pics from the Vietnam highlands once.

E.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Da_Lat#Climate .

23 minutes ago, Sunriver Snow Zone said:

Fall back is amazing, what are you talking about man? An extra hour of sleep/you time!

Spring ahead is f**in terrible though, 1 less hour of sleep and I have to wake up at 2am and set the clocks to 3am. Wish the time change would just happen in the evening, then I'd be awake during the change and could set the clocks ahead at that time instead of in the middle of the night to change them

I wish it was that easy, fall back sent my kid’s sleep schedule into a tizzy. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cloud said:

Going to Vietnam next month for 1 month. Their monsoon season wrapped up couple months ago and peak heat is ramping up.  No more rain and averaging triple digits with 95%+ humidity. Need to mentally prepare for this one. 😭

At least the air is cleaner in the warm season. I went a few years ago in December and the weather was nice but the air was disgusting. 

• Like 1

Really nice timing with the clock change coinciding with the first warm spell.  Next weekend we have highs in the low 70s and daylight lasts until 7:30... going to be quite the flip.

• Like 2
  • Excited 1
  • scream 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Really nice retrogression signal on the GEFS tonight.

1711108800-gPbHJfavyLA.png

• Like 5
  • Excited 1
  • Popcorn 1
  • Shivering 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

6 minutes ago, the_convergence_zone said:

Fair enough. Never had that problem with my kids, i suppose everybody's different with how their sleeping schedule works.

Talk about an atypical pattern for March on the ECMWF as far as surface pressure is concerned.  An astonishing lack of low pressure over the NE Pacific.

1710849600-4QeGgCA8YHI.png

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

42 minutes ago, the_convergence_zone said:

It's something all of us have dealt with.  The change of the clocks is well worth it at this latitude.  I guarantee if we go to permanent daylight time everyone will be bitcching about the 9am sunrises in December.  The people who want that change to be made don't think about that.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

4 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

It's something all of us have dealt with.  The change of the clocks is well worth it at this latitude.  I guarantee if we go to permanent daylight time everyone will be bitcching about the 9am sunrises in December.  The people who want that change to be made don't think about that.

And permanent standard time will probably never happen because people in the northern states love their long summer evenings.  So we just deal with the clock change twice a year.  

I could deal with a 9 a.m. sunrise to have daylight until 6 p.m. in the winter.   The days are short no matter how you slice it.

• Like 7

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

EPS is getting there now.

1711173600-SzzQdHeEESg.png

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

And permanent standard time will probably never happen because people in the northern states love their long summer evenings.  So we just deal with the clock change twice a year.  

I love those long evenings as well.  That and early morning are the absolute best in summer.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

5 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

EPS is getting there now.

1711173600-SzzQdHeEESg.png

Getting to what though?  I could see the pattern ending up like what the control run shows at the end which probably wouldn't be that interesting.    

ecmwf-ensemble-c00-namer-z500_anom-1324800.png

3 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Getting to what though?  I could see the pattern ending up like what the control run shows at the end which probably wouldn't be that interesting.    

ecmwf-ensemble-c00-namer-z500_anom-1324800.png

Getting to some frosty mornings best case scenario?

24 minutes ago, Slushy Inch said:

Getting to some frosty mornings best case scenario?

No idea.   Could be rainy which would probably make more sense.

53F and blustery.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

5 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

I could deal with a 9 a.m. sunrise to have daylight until 6 p.m. in the winter.   The days are short no matter how you slice it.

I think there’s shot at it this time. It was either 2 or years ago that there was a bipartisan bill from the Senate to the House. Put Pelosi couldn’t walk & chew gum at the same time and blatantly refused to take it up in the House. A similar bipartisan bill from the Senate to the House is apparently in committee in the House. Here in Canada the federal & provincial governments are doing the most Canadian thing: waiting for the Americans to act. 

1 hour ago, Groundhog said:

I think there’s shot at it this time. It was either 2 or years ago that there was a bipartisan bill from the Senate to the House. Put Pelosi couldn’t walk & chew gum at the same time and blatantly refused to take it up in the House. A similar bipartisan bill from the Senate to the House is apparently in committee in the House. Here in Canada the federal & provincial governments are doing the most Canadian thing: waiting for the Americans to act. 

For permanent daylight savings?

SEA has only picked up .04 total since this round of stormy weather started on Friday night.  

Same with PDX... and that .04 came just in the last hour.

06z was mildly interesting. Nice cold front this morning. SLE went from 54 to 41 behind the front. 

• Shivering 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.