March 2024 Weather in the PNW

Had some sort of huge drops/semi frozen stuff falling hard from the sky when I was up in Burlington about 50min ago! 

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

39 minutes ago, T-Town said:

We went to Anthonys in Gig Harbor yesterday for happy hour and there were quite a few kayakers and paddle boarders out in the rain.  But, most of them looked liked they were training, like they’re on a school team or something. Im sure they have the right gear to get out regardless of the weather. 

If I had more professional gear I wouldn’t mind kayaking or paddle boarding in the rain. I don’t really have an expensive set up so my water season is generally when it’s warm and sunny out with light winds at most. My kayaks are not something you’d want to take out in big waves or rain. I’d like to have a really nice kayak and wetsuit someday but that’s pretty spendy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TacomaWx said:

Normally don’t go paddleboarding in March but will probably be going out Saturday. Looks like it should be 70 out on Anderson island. Hasn’t hit 70 in March since 2019. 

Well don't fall in the water, it'll be CHILLY if you do. 

Coldest temp this winter: -7 Jan 13th

Snow depth at Mount Bachelor (last updated March 27th) 107"

Snow depth at my home (updated March 27th): none

23-24 seasonal snowfall at home (updated March 27th): 84"

2 hours ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

BC is already doing drought contingency planning for this summer.

Can't help but wonder if we aren't already doing the same thing here in Whatcom County.  Someone posted on a community FB group asking if anyone knew why the water level at the lake was so high. 

Just checked the level, and they already have it a 314 feet, which they usually don't try to achieve until mid-April.  Its usually just shy of 313 feet this time of year.

• Like 1

Just now, Sunriver Snow Zone said:

Well don't fall in the water, it'll be CHILLY if you do. 

Yeah, I try not to get into the Puget sound unless it’s like atleast in the 80s. No matter what time of year it is the sound is cold AF. You need a wetsuit if you’re planning on being in the water for an extended period of time. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, T-Town said:

Maple bars are the king of donuts. Apple fritters a close second. 

Chocolate donuts easily beat both of those.

• scream 1
  • Troll 1

46 minutes ago, T-Town said:

We went to Anthonys in Gig Harbor yesterday for happy hour and there were quite a few kayakers and paddle boarders out in the rain.  But, most of them looked liked they were training, like they’re on a school team or something. Im sure they have the right gear to get out regardless of the weather. 

I would normally be out this time of year, but I'm still dealing with an issue of having a little too much "ballast" to fit in my dry suit.  It is already pretty snug with my height and the width of my shoulders (shoulders are actually the biggest issue).  I can get into it, but I could just barely get back out of it.  I suppose if I could do the "Mel Gibson Lethal Weapon dislocate my shoulder at will" trick it would be less of an issue.

My goal is to get back into my dry suit by next January so I can do the Skagit River eagle watching kayak trip.  Sounds like a lot of fun, but full cold water immersion gear is a must.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

I used to work for Safeway many years ago. The maple bars were a break time staple.

Before QFC got top pot, thriftway in west Seattle had the best maple bars around here, in my opinion. Would always get a MB and a bawls to start my day when I worked at the beverage company. Tuesdays and Thursdays started at thriftway, Monday Wednesday Friday at Westwood QFC (rip)!! Good times. Started that job in summer 2011, but unfortunately I don’t remember appreciating how mild it was back then…

• Like 3

That AI euro!

• Shivering 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

4 minutes ago, Phishy Wx said:

want to make bets on who around here puts ketchup on a hot dog?

Eww... spicy mustard!

• Like 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

12 hours ago, RaleighHillsRunner said:

Interesting. Wonder what the flavors like 🤔 

This is what it says on Vital Choice. I also found where you can buy it online. It looks like any regular salmon with nice pink/red meat. It’s sourced from Russia though so I would be hesitant of buying anything from Putin. It’s out of stock anyways.

“The taimen live in the frigid rivers of Siberia, spread across Russia, Mongolia, Kazakhstan, and China. They are apex predators. Some historical accounts record Siberian taimen weighing more than 200 pounds.

For comparison, the Alaskan king salmon typically tops out at about 50 pounds. The largest ever, caught in the Kenai River in 1985, weighed 97 pounds.

Today’s anglers won’t be eating any taimen, as they’re legally protected, but we hear they are tasty, especially when fried and in soups, and especially when you’ve been wandering, starving, on the Siberian steppe.”

https://www.vitalchoice.com/blog/monster-salmon

IMG_3092.jpeg.b05c9571ee85438e4ec412abe1f45e27.jpeg

https://gameat.me/catalog/p/18382-file_taymenya_kh_k_v_v_u/

23 minutes ago, RentonHill said:

Before QFC got top pot, thriftway in west Seattle had the best maple bars around here, in my opinion. Would always get a MB and a bawls to start my day when I worked at the beverage company. Tuesdays and Thursdays started at thriftway, Monday Wednesday Friday at Westwood QFC (rip)!! Good times. Started that job in summer 2011, but unfortunately I don’t remember appreciating how mild it was back then…

Great, now I'm craving maple bars. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Eww... spicy mustard!

And sauerkraut.

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

24 minutes ago, Phishy Wx said:

want to make bets on who around here puts ketchup on a hot dog?

I have a confession to make....

I always found mustard disgusting, so I put ketchup on hotdogs.

• Like 2
  • scream 1
  • Sick 2

7 minutes ago, Sunriver Snow Zone said:

I have a confession to make....

I always found mustard disgusting, so I put ketchup on hotdogs.

A hotdog without ketchup is like a day without sunshine. 

• Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, bainbridgekid said:

@TT-SEA Euro is slower to come out on Pivotal.

What's it showing for highs Saturday and Sunday?

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-t2m_f_max6-0633600 (1).png

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-t2m_f_max6-0720000.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Excited 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 hour ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

Can't help but wonder if we aren't already doing the same thing here in Whatcom County.  Someone posted on a community FB group asking if anyone knew why the water level at the lake was so high. 

Just checked the level, and they already have it a 314 feet, which they usually don't try to achieve until mid-April.  Its usually just shy of 313 feet this time of year.

Bc snowpack is 34% below average.  The upper reaches of the Skagit River has a snowpack just 30% of average.  

IMG_8274.png

• Sad 2
  • Snow 1

23 minutes ago, T-Town said:

A hotdog without ketchup is like a day without sunshine. 

That explains why a few people here don't like ketchup on hotdogs..

• lol 1

25 minutes ago, ShawniganLake said:

Never heard of a Maple Bar. Not sure if that’s a thing here.  And yellow mustard belongs on a hot dog.  Ketchup is pretty much reserved for Fries and not much else. 

Funny. The Wikipedia article for Maple Bars is only five sentences long and one of them is "Time Horton's and other Canadian doughnut shops do not sell maple bars." 😂

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maple_bar

• Like 2

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

34 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Lowland snow is back by day 10.

ecmwf-deterministic-or_wa-snow_24hr_kuchera-1108800.png

It’s coming! 

• Excited 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

41 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Wow... 12Z ECMWF going nuts with retrogression.  

ecmwf-deterministic-namer-z500_anom-1022400.png

12Z EPS not quite as aggressive as the ECMWF operational run at the same time... and actually shifted slightly east from the 00Z run.     But close enough that operational run could easily be right.  

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-z500_anom-1022400.png

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-z500_dprog-1022400.png

• scream 1

But after 300 hours the EPS shifted way west of its 00Z run.    Coast to coast troughing.  

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-z500_anom-1368000.png

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-z500_dprog-1368000.png

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Snow 1
  • scream 1

12 minutes ago, bainbridgekid said:

Funny. The Wikipedia article for Maple Bars is five sentences long and one of them is "Time Horton's and other Canadian doughnut shops do not sell maple bars."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maple_bar

Pretty ironic that Canada doesn't do them.

Also utterly depressing, and dare I say rather 3rd world.

• Like 2
  • lol 1

19 minutes ago, ShawniganLake said:

Never heard of a Maple Bar. Not sure if that’s a thing here.  And yellow mustard belongs on a hot dog.  Ketchup is pretty much reserved for Fries and not much else. 

When I lived in Philly, I’d regularly drive two hours to a Safeway in Delaware to get one. When that store closed, I drove to DC.

That said, given that most Canadians think that semitransparent water color paint passed off as coffee at Tim’s is better than anything you’d find at a Starbucks or that a Timbit is somehow a food group, I’m not surprised. Such a shame that for a nation with a disproportionately high number of Michelin star’d restaurants and even with the Quebecois pulling most of the culinary weight, Tim Hortons is considered “good Canadian fare”. 

• Like 1
  • scream 2

2 minutes ago, the_convergence_zone said:

Timed perfectly with the day I fly to Hawaii. Would love for the mountains to load up on snow and Seattle to load up on 42 and rain while I'm gone. 

I totally understand that sentiment!  

3 minutes ago, the_convergence_zone said:

Timed perfectly with the day I fly to Hawaii. Would love for the mountains to load up on snow and Seattle to load up on 42 and rain while I'm gone. 

Where in Hawaii?