March 2024 Weather in the PNW

Just now, the_convergence_zone said:

South side. Any tips? I've been to the big island and Maui but not Kauai. 

Poipu is awesome... definitely the best side of the island in terms of weather.    Brenneckes is great for lunch or dinner.  What hotel are you staying at?   That area took at direct hit from a hurricane in 1992 and was basically destroyed.     There is a hotel on the east side that still remains just as shell from that hurricane.   But there is no evidence of the damage now on the south side.

• Like 4

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

2 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Waimea Canyon is a must. Would highly recommend trying to do a Nāpali coast boat tour as well. 

Agree 100% on both.   

• Like 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

11 minutes ago, the_convergence_zone said:

Kauai

Tunnels Beach is a must.

• Like 2
  • Sun 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

4 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Waimea Canyon is a must. Would highly recommend trying to do a Nāpali coast boat tour as well. 

From Poipu... Waimea is an easy drive.    But need to plan for a 3 hour drive to Napali from there because its stop and go traffic the entire way.  

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, iFred said:

Safeway brethren unite! Deli drama can’t hold a candle to Weather Forum drama.

It sounds like your store was similar then. I guess some things are universal 🤣

I mainly worked as a cashier and in produce, but I would party with the deli folk on occasion.

Edited by Cascadia_Wx
  • Like 1

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

18 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

I second this! Though I did make my wife car sick while driving up to the Waimea Canyon! The booze cruise was great as well! 

IMG_3565.jpeg

IMG_3566.jpeg

IMG_3567.jpeg

• Like 8

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Great tips, thanks everyone! Staying at Koloa Landing. I have a 3 year old so honestly half the trip is going to be spent in the pool since that's what she'll like. I'll definitely get up to Waimea Canyon...ideally I'll get a morning to go running up there since it looks like there are a number of decent trails. My wife gets sea sick so can't do boating unfortunately. Was planning on renting e-bikes since the kiddo likes riding on the back seat. I bookmarked Brennecke's...any other food recs?

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, the_convergence_zone said:

Great tips, thanks everyone! Staying at Koloa Landing. I have a 3 year old so honestly half the trip is going to be spent in the pool since that's what she'll like. I'll definitely get up to Waimea Canyon...ideally I'll get a morning to go running up there since it looks like there are a number of decent trails. My wife gets sea sick so can't do boating unfortunately. Was planning on renting e-bikes since the kiddo likes riding on the back seat. I bookmarked Brennecke's...any other food recs?

There is an off topic thread.

• Rain 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Weenie 8

1 minute ago, Phishy Wx said:

they're both very serious bizness

Tim Horton’s is also serious business! 

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

5 minutes ago, Phishy Wx said:

they're both very serious bizness

There’s a difference between back and forth banter that lasts a couple posts, and detailed conversations about vacation destinations that stretch on for multiple pages. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1
  • Facepalm 2

3 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

Metrological spring started on March 1st.    

I consider March to be a winter month. More-so than December.

• Like 1
  • scream 1

Just now, Phil said:

I consider March to be a winter month. More-so than December.

december more winter here, imo.  coldest days of the year are often climatologically aligned with the shortest days of the year.

2 hours ago, Phishy Wx said:

want to make bets on who around here puts ketchup on a hot dog?

Andrew for sure.

• Like 1
  • lol 2

1 hour ago, iFred said:

When I lived in Philly, I’d regularly drive two hours to a Safeway in Delaware to get one. When that store closed, I drove to DC.

That said, given that most Canadians think that semitransparent water color paint passed off as coffee at Tim’s is better than anything you’d find at a Starbucks or that a Timbit is somehow a food group, I’m not surprised. Such a shame that for a nation with a disproportionately high number of Michelin star’d restaurants and even with the Quebecois pulling most of the culinary weight, Tim Hortons is considered “good Canadian fare”. 

McDonald’s has better coffee than Tim’s.  To my knowledge McDonalds actually took over Tim’s original coffee blend supplier years ago.  McDonalds coffee in Canada is what Tim’s coffee used to be.  I don’t know anybody that thinks Tim’s is good. Just convenient and fast. I do like their bacon grilled cheese though. 

• Like 3
  • Troll 1

3 hours ago, ShawniganLake said:

Looks like the ridge lasts a little longer on the euro than the gfs and then we drop back to a seasonal spring pattern. The GEFS was crashing that ridge very quickly a couple days ago. 

GFS seems to be shifting toward the ECMWF

Screenshot_20240312-130830.png

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, bainbridgekid said:

If we didn't allow off-topic banter in the main thread, this entire forum would cease to exist. Our love of weather is the foundation this place sits on, but it would be a very different and boring place if that's all we ever talked about.

Well said Mattias! Weather is the main thing we talk about but other stuff like geography, climate, travel, food and culture is all connected. I have learned a ton not only about our own region but other regions around the world from these forums. 

• Like 4
  • Weenie 1

24 minutes ago, bainbridgekid said:

If we didn't allow off-topic banter in the main thread, this entire forum would cease to exist. Our love of weather is the foundation this place sits on, but it would be a very different and boring place if that's all we ever talked about.

Truth.
We even love Tim's Timposting during the Jesseist of cold seasons. The only off topic stuff I'll draw a line at are politics, religion, and baseball. The latter two are standard fare across the internet, but I generally hate baseball, hate the people who enjoy baseball, and actively do what I can to get the Mariners to relocate to Florida or Arizona.

In any case, this place generally polices itself well and I have final say.

• Thanks 1
  • lol 2
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

32 minutes ago, ShawniganLake said:

McDonald’s has better coffee than Tim’s.  To my knowledge McDonalds actually took over Tim’s original coffee blend supplier years ago.  McDonalds coffee in Canada is what Tim’s coffee used to be.  I don’t know anybody that thinks Tim’s is good. Just convenient and fast. I do like their bacon grilled cheese though. 

That might be a mark of a real Canadian, someone who can tell you when Tim's used to be good, or how an airport Tim's is different than a city Tim's or that an Ohio Tim's is just a Wendy's with donuts and worse coffee.

• Like 1
  • Excited 1
  • lol 1

3 minutes ago, iFred said:

Truth.
We even love Tim's Timposting during the Jesseist of cold seasons. The only off topic stuff I'll draw a line at are politics, religion, and baseball. The latter two are standard fare across the internet, but I generally hate baseball, hate the people who enjoy baseball, and actively do what I can to get the Mariners to relocate to Florida or Arizona.

What if you like baseball but aren’t a Mariners fan? 🤔 

• scream 2

Portland | Raleigh Hills/West Sylvan | 350’

”All models are wrong, some are useful.”

-G. Box

8 minutes ago, iFred said:

Truth.

• Sun 1
  • Troll 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

1 minute ago, the_convergence_zone said:

Mariners fans don't even like the Mariners. 

Will they like them when they relocate and rebrand to the Orlando Oranges? Probably will have some pretty cool uniforms.

• lol 2

So I don’t get in trouble by the forum hall monitor  Jesse…I won’t talk about vacations and how fun and relaxing it was when on the honeymoon to Kauai back in 2012. Laying pool side or beach side, and taking a few drives around to different places on the island. I also won’t talk about my mini vacations that I love to take each summer to Entiat, or other places in Eastern Wa to enjoy the dry heat while boating and jetsking. I also won’t talk about going back to Mexico to enjoy the warm beaches. Or even just hanging out at the family lake house. Nope not going to talk about how nice it is to enjoy the sun and warmth…Nope…Not going to talk about it…

Can’t wait to get back on the water!! 

IMG_3568.jpeg

• Like 2
  • lol 2
  • Popcorn 1
  • Weenie 1

On the weather front we had ice pellets a few hours ago. Currently 39 degrees.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

Poipu is awesome... definitely the best side of the island in terms of weather.    Brenneckes is great for lunch or dinner.  What hotel are you staying at?   That area took at direct hit from a hurricane in 1992 and was basically destroyed.     There is a hotel on the east side that still remains just as shell from that hurricane.   But there is no evidence of the damage now on the south side.

Seems like most of Poipu is doing pretty good now. Last time I was there was in 2015 and it was pretty nice. Stayed in the Marriott there. I will say there are Chickens and Roosters everywhere on the Island because the hurricane destroyed all the coops and chickens are basically top of the food chain there as there are no bears or cougars or anything like that.

• Like 4

2023 - 2024 Cold Season Stats

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Coldest High Temp - 21 (Jan 13)

Coldest Low Temp - 9 (Jan 13)

Number of Freezes - 51

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3