March 2024 Weather in the PNW

18 hours ago, Front Ranger said:

Way to beat those C0CKS!

16 hours ago, bainbridgekid said:

My 4th grade class filled out brackets this morning and some of them kept asking me what the mascots are to help with their picks. The Gamecocks elicited quite the gigglefest. 

The gamecock is a type of rooster that is specifically bred for cockfighting. Cockfighting has been a big part of American history especially in the South. The South Carolina Gamecocks logo even has the blade on the roosters ankle which they use to fight the other rooster with. 

IMG_3137.thumb.jpeg.09c420822a59d49c027472f90c5248cf.jpeg

• Excited 1
  • lol 1
  • scream 2
  • Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, Frontal Snowsquall said:

The gamecock is a type of rooster that is specifically bred for cockfighting. Cockfighting has been a big part of American history especially in the South. The South Carolina Gamecocks logo even has the blade on the roosters ankle which they use to fight the other rooster with. 

IMG_3136.jpeg.a610802ddbebd927702182b7f6278183.jpeg
IMG_3137.thumb.jpeg.09c420822a59d49c027472f90c5248cf.jpeg

Is this really necessary? It’s kind of a f*cked up and cruel practice, it’s pretty clear you’re only posting about it because you have the sense of humor of an eight year old, and it’s also wildly off topic.

• Angry 1
  • Troll 1
  • Weenie 2

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

1 minute ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Is this really necessary? It’s kind of a f*cked up and cruel practice, it’s pretty clear you’re only posting about it because you have the sense of humor of an eight year old, and it’s also wildly off topic.

Lol I’m glad I’m not the only one who found that post to be odd 

• Thanks 1
  • Weenie 2

Let’s cleanse our collective pallets with some ensembles.

Last night’s 00z EPS:

IMG_1338.png

And this morning’s 12z GEFS

IMG_1346.png

Our troughing period is getting shrunk down pretty good. Hopefully some mountain snow to show for it before it’s over. I’m thinking we see another ridgy period sometime the first week of April.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SnowWillarrive said:

Im scared for the summer

This is sort of silly... could easily be a 2016 or 2019 type of summer with no smoke at all.   And what is happening in March and April is irrelevant.    Or we could have massive mountain snow in March and April and still end up with lots of fires like in 2022.     

• Thanks 1
  • lol 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

15 hours ago, GHweatherChris said:

Hey all, just wanted to remind you all to take care of your self everyday.  We had the biggest scare of our lives on Tuesday morning, we thought I was having a heart attack, heart rate approaching 200 bpm, heavy breathing, chest pain... it ended up not being one after a 911 call, ambulance ride and hours of tests in the ER.  Apparently my body has been fighting some stuff since I got over covid in February that I was not aware of and the previous day I had a stomach bug that severely dehydrated me even though I was pounding water to offset it, all that along with life stress and work stress caught up with me and I had a major anxiety attack that mimicked a heart attack, plus I have a little pneumonia going on as well that i was not aware of.  I am on a massive load of antibiotics and on a get as much rest as possible regime through the weeken.  It was scary, my wife and daughter handled everything like champions, but god D**n, I was so effing scared.

Be awesome  weirdos, today was a nice day of drizzle and temps in the 50's.

That is crazy, I can’t relate to the pneumonia and antibiotics…but I can relate to the severity of anxiety attacks. They started happening to me out of nowhere…I called 911 the first time it happened. Thought I was dying and I was having a hard time breathing. My fingers and hands hurt from clenching so hard. Had to just lay on the ground and wait for it to pass everytime and sometimes it would be 1-2 hours. I couldn’t even work for awhile. I went through almost a year of having multiple significant crippling anxiety attacks everyday in 2021 and 2022. Before it started happening to me I didn’t take stiff like that seriously. I still get them sometimes but it’s more like once or twice a month. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Let’s cleanse our collective pallets with some ensembles.

Last night’s 00z EPS:

IMG_1338.png

And this morning’s 12z GEFS

IMG_1346.png

Our troughing period is getting shrunk down pretty good. Hopefully some mountain snow to show for it before it’s over. I’m thinking we see another ridgy period sometime the first week of April.

Does seem like things are getting flattened out and moderating toward climo as we inch forward 🧐

Portland | Raleigh Hills/West Sylvan | 350’

”All models are wrong, some are useful.”

-G. Box

1 minute ago, RaleighHillsRunner said:

Does seem like things are getting flattened out and moderating toward climo as we inch forward 🧐

Yeah. That usually happens with troughing. Ridging on the other hand generally only intensifies as the time frame approaches, and then goes on to overachieve guidance each day that it’s happening. 

• Weenie 2

17 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Feel like they were just catching up from yesterday’s posts and sharing some history re: origin of that mascot, albeit quite disturbing and effed up history 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

Portland | Raleigh Hills/West Sylvan | 350’

”All models are wrong, some are useful.”

-G. Box

5 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

That is crazy, I can’t relate to the pneumonia and antibiotics…but I can relate to the severity of anxiety attacks. They started happening to me out of nowhere…I called 911 the first time it happened. Thought I was dying and I was having a hard time breathing. My fingers and hands hurt from clenching so hard. Had to just lay on the ground and wait for it to pass everytime and sometimes it would be 1-2 hours. I couldn’t even work for awhile. I went through almost a year of having multiple significant crippling anxiety attacks everyday in 2021 and 2022. Before it started happening to me I didn’t take stiff like that seriously. I still get them sometimes but it’s more like once or twice a month. 

I’ve had a couple episodes in the past ten years that would probably qualify, but they’ve only happened when I’m really high on the wrong strain.

• lol 4
  • Weenie 2
  • bongocat-test 1

1 minute ago, RaleighHillsRunner said:

Feel like they were just catching up from yesterday’s posts and sharing some history re: origin of that mascot, albeit quite disturbing and effed up history 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

If you’ve observed this poster for a couple years you’d have a different perspective. He’s not much more than a troll. Not even his weather posts are worth taking seriously as they as usually riddled with intentional inaccuracies, strangely out of place corporate plugs, or just straight up pseudo-meteorology.

• Weenie 2

1 minute ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

I’ve had a couple episodes in the past ten years that would probably qualify, but they’ve only happened when I’m really high on the wrong strain.

Yeah mine I really don’t understand still why it started happening. One day I was hanging out watching TV and felt like I couldn’t breathe. It was like almost a whole year where I would start hyperventilating and then my arms and legs would feel numb. I just had to lay down and ride it out. The fear that it produces when you’re going through it is unreal. Thankfully I’ve learned to deal with them much better. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Even though it’s been 10 years I still remember that “thud” like it was yesterday that my wife and I heard that morning while we were making breakfast, thought a plane had perhaps crashed nearby or something. About 30 minutes later I saw the first reports about it. 

• Like 3
  • scream 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

2 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Even though it’s been 10 years I still remember that “thud” like it was yesterday that my wife and I heard that morning while we were making breakfast, thought a plane had perhaps crashed nearby or something. About 30 minutes later I saw the first reports about it. 

Wow... I didn't know you could actually hear it.     How far away were you?

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Wow... I didn't know you could actually hear it.     How far away were you?

We were still at our old place west of Smokey Point. It’s crazy that we heard it, and so loud and distinct at that distance away. 

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

1 minute ago, MossMan said:

We were still at our old place west of Smokey Point. It’s crazy that we heard it, and so loud and distinct at that distance away. 

Looks like you were about 20 miles away... but guessing the river valley funneled the sound west towards I-5.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Looks like you were about 20 miles away... but guessing the river valley funneled the sound west towards I-5.  

I just looked at the map, I think you’re correct about the funneling effect. 

IMG_3812.jpeg

• Like 3

How's the extended forecast looking for the April 8th solar eclipse in Texas at this point? Is it trending more or less cloudy than usual?

• Popcorn 1
  • Weenie 1
  • Spam 1

Coldest temp this winter: -7 Jan 13th

Snow depth at Mount Bachelor (last updated March 27th) 107"

Snow depth at my home (updated March 27th): none

23-24 seasonal snowfall at home (updated March 27th): 84"

36 minutes ago, MossMan said:

The Mt. St. Helens eruption, although obviously on a much bigger scale, created a similar effect with the sound waves traveling outward and was even heard hundreds of miles away in ID and BC and broke windows in Oak Harbor. But the topography and temperature changes closer to the mountain may have limited the sound wave propagation for nearby places where the eruption produced no sound. A little before my time but I don't think we were able to hear it in Clark County.

https://stylusradio.org/post/80549530367/the-sound-or-silence-of-an-erupting-volcano-on

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Sunriver Snow Zone said:

How's the extended forecast looking for the April 8th solar eclipse in Texas at this point? Is it trending more or less cloudy than usual?

Way too early to tell.     Need to wait a week.

• Popcorn 2

1 hour ago, TacomaWx said:

I had no idea I have pneumonia, but my body did and has been fighting it for weeks, they got me on so much antibiotics it's ridiculous.

Edited by GHweatherChris
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Still way way too far out to have any reliable idea.

Wait you mean a day 16 cloud forecast isn’t possible!? 😂

• Like 1
  • lol 1
  • scream 1

Bend, OR

Elevation: 3550'

Snow History:

Nov: 1"

Dec: .5"

Jan: 1.9"

Feb: 12.7"

Mar: 1.0"

Total: 17.1"

2016/2017: 70"

2015/2016: 34"

Average: ~25"

2017/2018 Winter Temps

Lowest Min: 1F on 2/23

Lowest Max: 23F on 12/24, 2/22

Lows <32: 87

Highs <32: 13

46 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Way too early to tell.     Need to wait a week.

Figured. Some people here are good at forecasting long range trends, or atleast they think they are (phil), they might have a clue if it's trending one way or another.

• Confused 1
  • Sun 1

Coldest temp this winter: -7 Jan 13th

Snow depth at Mount Bachelor (last updated March 27th) 107"

Snow depth at my home (updated March 27th): none

23-24 seasonal snowfall at home (updated March 27th): 84"

2 hours ago, RaleighHillsRunner said:

It’s banned in the USA and rightfully so. It’s still legal though in other countries for some reason. I’m surprised their mascot illustrates what exactly it is but then again it’s just a mascot.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

4 minutes ago, Sunriver Snow Zone said:

Figured. Some people here are good at forecasting long range trends, or atleast they think they are (phil), they might have a clue if it's trending one way or another.

This might be true for large scale trends, like where a mean longwave trough or ridge position might be favored. But mesoscale or even microscale stuff like where a cloud band could be at 1pm in two and a half weeks is pretty much impossible to even start to pin down until a few days before. You’re just as well off throwing darts with a blindfold on right now.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Frontal Snowsquall said:

It’s banned in the USA and rightfully so. It’s still legal though in other countries for some reason. I’m surprised their mascot illustrates what exactly it is but then again it’s just a mascot.

It's my alma mater and I grew up there..  The school's football team were referred to as the Gamecocks in the early 1900s by our local Newspaper The State in Columbia, SC.  It was a reference to Thomas Sumter known as 'The Fighting Gamecock' and was a US Revolutionary War hero.  I think at one point when I was in college there in the mid 90s PETA tried to get us to change the nickname, but it didn't work

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

48 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Today’s North Bend view! (From about 2hrs ago) 

IMG_3813.jpeg

Yes... been watching that demolition.   Need to find out what they are building there.  

• Like 1

On 3/21/2024 at 1:46 PM, Port Angeles Foothiller said:

I am a medical physicist and work with linear accelerators. When we decommissioned a machine in residency we tweaked the machine (removed safety precautions) to generate electron trees. This caused the room to be filled with ozone. A very metallic odor. 

The closest lightning strike I experienced involved the snapping sound of sparks from induced charges in room I was in, simultaneous with a blinding flash of light. Then a deafening crash of thunder the tiniest of split seconds later. Target was a power pole about 50 feet away.

• scream 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

14 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Found it.

Screenshot_20240322-142813_Chrome.jpg

I was curious as to what they were doing there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

This might be true for large scale trends, like where a mean longwave trough or ridge position might be favored. But mesoscale or even microscale stuff like where a cloud band could be at 1pm in two and a half weeks is pretty much impossible to even start to pin down until a few days before. You’re just as well off throwing darts with a blindfold on right now.

I believe I've heard Phil reference the TDWAB.

• Excited 1

A forum for the end of the world.