March 2024 Weather in the PNW

9 hours ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

I guess we’re not most normal people. Hopefully they don’t start rounding up all the abnormals soon for cultural cleansing.

It’ll happen sooner or later.

• Sad 1
  • scream 1

8 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

The people who drone on and on about doing things in the rain are like the cocky jogger character on Family Guy.    Look at me... I am so tough... nothing bothers me... I love doing easter egg hunts and picnics and everything else in pouring rain.   😀

But then when it gets a little warm they turn into big babies.  

Of course you can do everything in the rain and often have to because that is life.    It’s just nicer when it’s dry for outdoor activites. 

image.png

If you’re swimming in 90°F Lake Sammamish what difference does rain make?

I’m not a blockhead. There are indeed some outdoor activities that are best enjoyed without rain. Outdoor BBQs, rock climbing, etc. But the vast majority can easily be enjoyed in the rain.

• Like 1
  • lol 1

8 hours ago, ShawniganLake said:

I work outside and it’s not enjoyable working in the rain and it’s less productive.  It takes longer to get jobs done but I still do it.  I also worked during the big June heat dome a few years back.  I didn’t think it was that bad.  Again, not as productive time wise. Had to take a couple extra water breaks.  Neither was ideal.  

I’m the opposite. I’d much rather do laborious outdoor work in the pouring rain versus humid 90+ crap. At that point I’m sweating so much that it might as well be raining, except I’m 10X more tired and 10X more uncomfortable.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

6 hours ago, Frontal Snowsquall said:

In the USA, either Hawaii or South Florida. In the PNW, the Oregon Coast. 

He asked what the best vacation destinations were, not the worst.

• Thanks 1
  • Weenie 3

14 minutes ago, Phil said:

I’m not a blockhead. There are indeed some outdoor activities that are best enjoyed without rain. Outdoor BBQs, rock climbing, etc. But the vast majority can easily be enjoyed in the rain.

200w.gif

• Excited 1

A forum for the end of the world.

Fairly cool and wet day here. 51/45 spread, mostly cloudy with plentiful showers. Picked up close to a half inch of rain on the day, now well over 2” on the month.

Showers at times and 46 currently.

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

6 hours ago, Front Ranger said:

Cocky jogger guy reminds me a lot of overconfident big truck snow driver guy. There's always these idiots here who seem to think snow is an invitation/challenge to drive much faster than everyone else on the highway.

"It's just a little snow, not gonna let it slow me down like you p*ssies. Cuz I got this big truck with big tires and an even bigger ego!!"

These are usually the guys who end up in a ditch.

Stopping is usually the most important thing, and those trucks have nothing special in stopping ability. Every car has four-wheel stop.

It's called clown range for a reason.

40 minutes ago, Phil said:

I’m not a blockhead. There are indeed some outdoor activities that are best enjoyed without rain. Outdoor BBQs, rock climbing <- kinda WRONG, etc. But the vast majority can easily be enjoyed in the rain.

Vast majority?  Idk what outdoor activities you partake in, but the vast MINORITY of my outdoor hobbies can be enjoyed in the rain. Skiing? Possible but NOT enjoyable. Kayaking?, Ideally NO. Mountaineering?, Absolutely no f-ing chance. Running?, Can be fine but is most of the time hazardous. Hiking?, Yes. Rock climbing?, Actually in a lot of cases it can be okay. Sunbathing?, Definitely NOT. Walking the dog?, Only if you like cleaning mud off the dog. Tennis?, no. Standing on tall roofs to fix weather stations(phil🌭)?, NO. Boating?, If its really warm than sure, but we RARELY get warm rain. Camping?, F‐ that.

List goes on, my point is that it's the minority of my outdoor activities that can be enjoyed in the rain, NOT the majority. Maybe you have different hobbies that are affected differently because your different climate in a DIFFERENT REGION from this forum.

• Like 2
  • lol 1
  • Popcorn 1
  • Facepalm 1

Coldest temp this winter: -7 Jan 13th

Snow depth at Mount Bachelor (last updated March 27th) 107"

Snow depth at my home (updated March 27th): none

23-24 seasonal snowfall at home (updated March 27th): 84"

11 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

I like running in the rain.

I do NOT like pina coladas though.  

I like getting caught(running) in the rain when it doesn't make the trails around here a slip n slide, otherwise it can be nice. But I'm not into yoga, and I have half a brain.

If you like making something at midnight, in the dunes on the cape...

32 currently, 46/29 day. A lot of tourists here for spring break, this is probably not the weather they were looking for. People come here either expecting sun or snow.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

46 minutes ago, Sunriver Snow Zone said:

Vast majority?  Idk what outdoor activities you partake in, but the vast MINORITY of my outdoor hobbies can be enjoyed in the rain. Skiing? Possible but NOT enjoyable. Kayaking?, Ideally NO. Mountaineering?, Absolutely no f-ing chance. Running?, Can be fine but is most of the time hazardous. Hiking?, Yes. Rock climbing?, Actually in a lot of cases it can be okay. Sunbathing?, Definitely NOT. Walking the dog?, Only if you like cleaning mud off the dog. Tennis?, no. Standing on tall roofs to fix weather stations(phil🌭)?, NO. Boating?, If its really warm than sure, but we RARELY get warm rain. Camping?, F‐ that.

List goes on, my point is that it's the minority of my outdoor activities that can be enjoyed in the rain, NOT the majority. Maybe you have different hobbies that are affected differently because your different climate in a DIFFERENT REGION from this forum.

So wonderful to have another active poster here who’s completely in love with/blinded by their own preferential dogma.

• Weenie 2

52 minutes ago, Sunriver Snow Zone said:

How tf is running in the rain hazardous? 😂

And kayaking in the rain is perfectly enjoyable.

• Like 1

Wtf the Francis Scott key bridge just collapsed into the Chesapeake. That’s like the American Legion Bridge of Baltimore..going to be many lives lost.

• Sad 2
  • scream 5

19 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

So wonderful to have another active poster here who’s completely in love with/blinded by their own preferential dogma.

I agree with him. rain can make things miserable outside. still like it from time to time but it's really a fall/early winter vibe thing for me

• Like 4
  • Weenie 1

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

11 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

I agree with him. rain can make things miserable outside. still like it from time to time but it's really a fall/early winter vibe thing for me

So is this supposed to change my opinion or something? Or make his more right? 😂 

I suppose I could quote those earlier posts you were so enamored with and say nobody cares, but that seemed needlessly d*ckish.

• Confused 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Weenie 2
  • Spam 2

7 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

So is this supposed to change my opinion or something? Or make his more right? 😂 

I suppose I could quote those earlier posts you were so enamored with and say nobody cares, but that seemed needlessly d*ckish.

You went back and saw which posts I liked? On your own time?

• Popcorn 1

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

31 minutes ago, Phil said:

Wtf the Francis Scott key bridge just collapsed into the Chesapeake. That’s like the American Legion Bridge of Baltimore..going to be many lives lost.

My wife closes her eyes and holds her breath every time we cross the Lewis and Clark Bridge in Longview. This will not help.  

• Sad 6
  • Snow 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

5 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

You went back and saw which posts I liked? On your own time?

I guess I’ve found your recent transformation interesting in sort of a morbid way. Nice deflection too!

Edited by Cascadia_Wx
  • Weenie 3

42 minutes ago, Phil said:

That’s some chilling sh*t. Although I felt some cold comfort when I realized a ship collided with it and it didn’t just passively collapse on its own. Equally tragic of course but the idea of a bridge just falling apart for no good reason is even freakier.

Edited by Cascadia_Wx
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Wow. Hopefully there weren’t too many people on the bridge when that happened. It’s probably almost certain death. That will probably end up causing a lot of traffic problems around the city.

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

2023 - 2024 Cold Season Stats

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Coldest High Temp - 21 (Jan 13)

Coldest Low Temp - 9 (Jan 13)

Number of Freezes - 51

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3

3 hours ago, Phil said:

I’m the opposite. I’d much rather do laborious outdoor work in the pouring rain versus humid 90+ crap. At that point I’m sweating so much that it might as well be raining, except I’m 10X more tired and 10X more uncomfortable.

We don’t get 90+ humid crap here.  I don’t know what it’s like to work in that but I imagine it’s not great.  80-85F with low humidity feels pretty nice in my world.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sun 1

4 hours ago, Phil said:

That ship steered right into the support beam power was flickering then it just goes full steam head on into it. Looks like a terrorist attack.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Weenie 1
  • Facepalm 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

2 hours ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

That ship steered right into the support beam power was flickering then it just goes full steam head on into it. Looks like a terrorist attack.

Quite possible the "full steam" as evidenced by the large black smoke plume was them throwing it into full reverse to try to get slowed down if not stopped.  Those big ships absolutely do not stop or turn on a dime.

Also, they probably lost rudder control if they lost power.  I think those ships are single screw ships, but if it was a twin screw, then if they only got one of the engines back on line, that would have caused the hard turn assuming they went full power reverse.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Phil said:

Sounds like the confirmed casualties are only in the single digits, fortunately. Guess there wasn't much traffic on there when it happened.

• Like 5

A forum for the end of the world.

Just now, Front Ranger said:

Sounds like the confirmed casualties are only in the single digits, fortunately. Guess there wasn't much traffic on there when it happened.

Yeah it was around 1:30-2am. Obviously still a terrible event. Remember something like this happening in Oklahoma about 20 years ago. 

• Like 2

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Currently 39 with beneficial and nourishing light rain. 

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

2 hours ago, FroYoBro said:

Can we ban this guy that acts just like Jesse? 

You? I’d hate to see that. I enjoy your input here quite a bit when you’re at your best and not making posts like this.

• Facepalm 2

44 minutes ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

Quite possible the "full steam" as evidenced by the large black smoke plume was them throwing it into full reverse to try to get slowed down if not stopped.  Those big ships absolutely do not stop or turn on a dime.

Also, they probably lost rudder control if they lost power.  I think those ships are single screw ships, but if it was a twin screw, then if they only got one of the engines back on line, that would have caused the hard turn assuming they went full power reverse.

That’s what I was thinking.  I haven’t seen a long enough video clip to think terrorist attack.  If they lost power even momentarily they were probably in a position that they could not recover from.  Those big ships are not really responsive to steering especially at slower speeds, hence why tug boats often guide them into port.  Also, if it was terrorist why would they choose the absolute least busy time of day to hit the bridge 

• Like 5

Just now, ShawniganLake said:

That’s what I was thinking.  I haven’t seen a long enough video clip to think terrorist attack.  If they lost power even momentarily they were probably in a position that they could not recover from.  Those big ships are not really responsive to steering especially at slower speeds, hence why tug boats often guide them into port.  Also, if it was terrorist why would they choose the absolute least busy time of day to hit the bridge 

Amazing the size and power of those ships. 

1 hour ago, Tyler Mode said:

Had a nice heavy shower with hail last night around 8 PM.  Ended up with 0.39" for the day, my third wettest day of the month.  No heavy rain days this month, just day after day of moderate rain.

Definitely wouldn’t characterize the month this way. There have only been a handful of truly rainy days, then we had a six day stretch of June like temps mid month.

• Weenie 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Spam 2

9 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Definitely wouldn’t characterize the month this way. There have only been a handful of truly rainy days, then we had a six day stretch of June like temps mid month.

Perception...I was in Alaska during that whole time haha. 

• Like 1
  • Excited 1
  • Troll 1

????

All I said was that the majority of my outdoor hobbies aren't that enjoyable in the rain, after Phil assumed that the majority CAN be enjoyed in the rain, so if anything it was Phil that was blinded by his own preferences. I clearly stated at the end of my post that it could be a different case for him because he has different hobbies.

You're a delusional person Jessie.

• lol 1
  • Popcorn 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, ShawniganLake said:

Yeah that's what I thought too, no terriost in their right mind would do that in the middle of the night, they would do it in the morning or evening commute.

Although terriosts usually aren't in their right mind....

• Like 1

c'mon man....

Are you saying you are not one of those people?

It's hard to defend your other posts when you say stuff like this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Popcorn 1
  • bongocat-test 1

Just now, Cascadia_Wx said:

Pretty variable month. First 7-10 days were very cold. We had about 21" of snow here, of which the piles didn't completely melt until the rain came back after the warm spell. Overall the month will end up near, maybe even slightly below average in spots. Pretty close to normal precip here more south. Pretty dynamic month. 

• Like 2