March 2024 Weather in the PNW

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Yes. Thin, wispy cirrus is counted as 100% cloud cover on that particular map. The nature of cloud cover associated with springtime continental cyclones is fairly predictable as well, just need to get within range of synoptic predictability and the rest will fall into place.

Even a thin upper level cloud is enough to make a solar eclipse much worse. Typically the sun will shine right through them, but during a solar eclipse I'm not sure if the Corona will be completely visible through even a thin cloud. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

Coldest temp this winter: -7 Jan 13th

Snow depth at Mount Bachelor (last updated March 27th) 107"

Snow depth at my home (updated March 27th): none

23-24 seasonal snowfall at home (updated March 27th): 84"

57 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

99% of folx in here are soft as a babies behind.

You were the first person today to find something that I'm in the 1% of.

• lol 1

39 minutes ago, bainbridgekid said:

Not sure how this is supposed to support your claim. I'm aware most of the world lives on less money than we do. What I'm disputing is the claims that "members of this forum are in the top 0.5%" and "50-60K a year puts you in the top 1% globally." Both are wrong by at least a factor of 10.

That link you shared says that 60K per year income puts you in the top 11.8% globally. Not close to 1%.

Wrong. The above estimates purchasing power parity. Roughly 6.4% of the global population falls into the “high income” bracket, by this metric.

If you make just $30,000/yr annually as an individual in the US, that (in all likelihood) puts you in the “high income” bracket (among the top 6.4% of the global population).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sunriver Snow Zone said:

You were the first person today to find something that I'm in the 1% of.

Don’t you complain each and every day that there are clouds visible in the sky at any point, unless it snows 6”+

• Popcorn 1

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

13 minutes ago, bainbridgekid said:

@Phil you're making an entirely different and unrelated point. I don't disagree that the top 1% of people possess an absurdly high proportion of the world's wealth. That is a fact. What I disagree with is that most people on this forum (or someone making 50-60K a year are in that top 1% (or even 0.5% as you said.) Simple math based on the proportion of people who live in First World Countries with median incomes higher than that shows that can't be true.

No I’m not. You are attempting to use a one-dimensional metric to measure a variable with multi-dimensional components. The best metric of economic wellbeing/agency (with respect to the global population) is purchasing power parity.

If you’re restricting your population to individual nations, then other metrics may be equally appropriate.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sunriver Snow Zone said:

Even a thin upper level cloud is enough to make a solar eclipse much worse. Typically the sun will shine right through them, but during a solar eclipse I'm not sure if the Corona will be completely visible through even a thin cloud. 

Silver lining...you might be able to look directly at the eclipse without dorky glasses with thin cloud cover.

You should definitely try!

• Sad 1
  • scream 1

A forum for the end of the world.

7 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Don’t you complain each and every day that there are clouds visible in the sky at any point, unless it snows 6”+

I was thinking more about the 99% of activities he can't do when it's raining.

• lol 2

A forum for the end of the world.

3 hours ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

I’ve always found it interesting how overrepresented the 1% is on a weather forum. Armchair psychiatry here, but I can see how it would be easy for someone who can pay to customize every other aspect of their lives to obsess over the weather, since it’s one of the rare things out of their control. Kind of an equalizer in a way.

Don’t worry comrade, I’ve collected enough information that when the time comes to raise the red banner over the region, we will be able to isolate and eliminate the counterrevolutionaries who stand in the way of the people and the progress which is demanded. ✊🏼✊🏼✊🏼

• Excited 6

2 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

That much is obvious.   He obsesses over it all the time... transplants and other BS.  

And guilty conscious?  Hardly.  My wife and I left MN with $2,000 in the bank and an old Pontiac.   She put herself through college by signing up to be a nurse in the Navy which is why went to San Diego after college.  I paid for my own college by working every weekend.   2 years after leaving MN we bought our first house in San Diego.   I was obsessed with the weather when I was 3 years old.   Walking around the backyard in the snow and narrating my own forecasts.   By 5... I could free-hand draw the map of the US which I would use in my forecasts I presented to my parents.   I was born being fascinated with the weather.  😀

Amazing story! All your hard work paid off in the end.

• Like 5
  • Sick 2

3 hours ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

I’ve always found it interesting how overrepresented the 1% is on a weather forum. Armchair psychiatry here, but I can see how it would be easy for someone who can pay to customize every other aspect of their lives to obsess over the weather, since it’s one of the rare things out of their control. Kind of an equalizer in a way.

Pareto principle/distribution. About 20% of the people here make 80% of the comments. Same holds true for goals scored in the NHL/season, income, proportion of books authored, etc. This likely applies more so than a normal (bell curve) distribution. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, Groundhog said:

Pareto principle/distribution. About 20% of the people here make 80% of the comments. Same holds true for goals scored in the NHL/season, income, proportion of books authored, etc. This likely applies more so than a normal (bell curve) distribution. 

I think you’re misunderstanding my post. I mean the 1% more in the occupy wallstreet ✊🏿 sense.

• Excited 1

1 hour ago, RaleighHillsRunner said:

The phone (IBM) seemed to fare better than all the other models including hi-res stuff for today out on the north coast 🤷🏻‍♂️ Everything way too wet.

Def not complaining, partly cloudy again, 52. Glorious - had to break out the limes 😎🍻 

IMG_2528.thumb.jpeg.7c0b760acb8970274070345ee090b3cb.jpeg

Glad you were able to enjoy some 🌞 at the Coast this week! 🍻 

• Like 1
  • Excited 1
  • Troll 1

38 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

That's a stretch, I also enjoy only 1-2", unlike your wife.

29 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

I was thinking more about the 99% of activities he can't do when it's raining.

You seem to have confused "can't do" and "I dont enjoy it nearly as much when the weather sucks", only 3 things I refuse to do in the rain is #1 skiing because I'm not a psychopath, #2 mountaineering because I don't have a death wish and #3 canyoneering because I don't want to drown in a flash flood.

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, Front Ranger said:

Silver lining...you might be able to look directly at the eclipse without dorky glasses with thin cloud cover.

You should definitely try!

My point was that during the total eclipse you wouldn't be able to see the Corona that well with thin clouds blocking it. You never will need solar eclipse glasses during the total eclipse

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Weenie 1

4 hours ago, Sunriver Snow Zone said:

D*mn, that'd be really cool seeing it from a plane, would also have an awesome view of the line of the eclipse below you. If it ends up being cloudy there, hopefully they'll stay below 15k feet, because I know that often times their clouds can be pretty high up.

I wonder how it is to pilot a plane and view an eclipse at the same time, I'd assume it isn't too bad but you might not be able to give 100% of your attention to the eclipse 

Just need to fire up the otto pilot

image.jpeg.481bde54774a5b679606ae44d00cddd4.jpeg

• Excited 1
  • Weenie 1

2 hours ago, Phil said:

If you love weather why the hell would you layover in San Diego? That’s where people move to escape weather.

Dude....your reading comprehension sucks....he said his wife went into the Navy to become a nurse.  The Navy doesn't really give you a choice on where you are going to live.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 2
  • Facepalm 1

5 minutes ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

Dude....your reading comprehension sucks....he said his wife went into the Navy to become a nurse.  The Navy doesn't really give you a choice on where you are going to live.

The irony of this post is insane. Tim also said that he and his wife fell in love with San Diego and continued living there by choice, not by force. 

"Dude....your reading comprehension sucks...."

• Thanks 1
  • Popcorn 1

26 minutes ago, Sunriver Snow Zone said:

The irony of this post is insane. Tim also said that he and his wife fell in love with San Diego and continued living there by choice, not by force. 

IMG_3973.jpeg

• lol 2
  • Weenie 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

I'm in debt with a broken car. Am I still legally allowed to enjoy the weather? Or do I need to apply for a permit?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

3 minutes ago, the_convergence_zone said:

I can see why some folks take a break from this forum between roughly March and October. 

(love you all, but it's going to be a long time until we have a snow threat again...)

We had one quiet summer when a certain someone was banned... before he snuck back in.   And he says he is so well behaved now.    Same old same old.  😀

• Like 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, Doinko said:

Just heard a loud rumble of thunder

I was noticing the radar is looking pretty active out there. Would be nice if something organized could move into this neck of the woods.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Cloud said:

The occasional outburst of heavy rain and hail is amazing this afternoon. Love it.

Been fun watching the Space Needle cam this afternoon. 

Screenshot_20240327-161524_Chrome.jpg

• Like 3

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

I was noticing the radar is looking pretty active out there. Would be nice if something organized could move into this neck of the woods.

Yeah we had a pretty decent downpour earlier. Nothing right now as the storm is a bit to the NW and might've weakened a bit but a lot of nice dark clouds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

Apparently mine is better than yours if that’s what you derived from said conversation. Ffs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Doinko said:

Yeah we had a pretty decent downpour earlier. Nothing right now as the storm is a bit to the NW and might've weakened a bit but a lot of nice dark clouds.

Breezy with lots of sunbreaks here at the moment. 55 degrees which is the high for the day so far. Have picked up over 1/2” on the day with the front and a few showers directly behind it. Would be nice to beef up those totals a little more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sunriver Snow Zone said:

Yeah, at least, uh…read through the conversation before making assumptions about others’ reading comprehension skills. Geesh.

My first response to Tim lacked specificity, I’ll admit. But I clarified that a few minutes later, like 5 posts down.

• Like 2