April 2024 Weather in the PNW

Just went for a hike about 100' higher than my house, it's snowing pretty dang good! Snowing pretty good at home, but there isn't any accumulation, YET! 32.4 degrees currently.

20240429-082209.jpg

20240429-082055.jpg

• Like 8
  • Downvote 1
  • Shivering 2

Coldest temp this winter: -7 Jan 13th

Snow depth at Mount Bachelor (last updated April 29th) 88"

Snow depth at my home (updated April 29th) late season 1"!

23-24 seasonal snowfall at home (updated April 29th) 92"!!

According to social media there is snow mixing in up in my neighborhood right now…

• Like 4
  • Sun 1
  • scream 1
  • Shivering 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

13 hours ago, Frontal Snowsquall said:

Good call, precipitation now in the forecast from Thursday to Saturday.

IMG_3313.jpeg.2e4811b9b7bbc6d20933ca91e8f5401c.jpeg

First Alert 🚨 ‼️ weather day today. ⛄️ 

Winter Weather Advisory

Jefferson, OR • Wasco, OR

* WHAT...Snow above 4000 feet. Additional snow accumulations of up to 4 inches. Winds gusting as high as 45 mph.
* WHERE...East Slopes of the Oregon Cascades.

* WHEN...Until 11 AM PDT this morning. * IMPACTS...Plan on slippery road conditions. The hazardous conditions could impact the morning commute.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Highest snow totals are anticipated along the Cascade crest. Lower snow totals of less than one inch are forecast along US-97 south of Bend.

• Sun 1

22 minutes ago, bainbridgekid said:

Positive splat test on the way to work this morning in Lynnwood. Latest I've ever seen snow in the lowlands.

Saw some wet snowflakes on my front door cam earlier.  

• Like 4
  • Sun 1
  • scream 1
  • Shivering 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

7 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Saw some wet snowflakes on my front door cam earlier.  

Bet you are bummed that you missed it in person. 😞

• lol 1
  • Weenie 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

31 minutes ago, bainbridgekid said:

Positive splat test on the way to work this morning in Lynnwood. Latest I've ever seen snow in the lowlands.

Seconded. A few wet snowflakes between Everett and Lynnwood at 6:30.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • scream 4
  • Shivering 1

There was a slushy trace of accumulation this morning up on tiger mountain 1300’. Has been doing a rain/snow mix the last few hours at 900’ in snoqualmie. Currently some big a** flakes mixing in with the rain. Definitely pretty late in the season for positive splat action. 

• Like 7
  • scream 1
  • Troll 1
  • Shivering 2

That band moving N—>S just finally passed through here. Was 100% snow for a bit at the end. Looks like we were just below the accumulation line here. Probably about 1200’. Itll probably be melted fast with some late April sunshine breaking through the clouds but still fun. 

IMG_6377.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Excited 1

19 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

Still haven't been able to determine why... but there are zebras grazing in North Bend today. 

Screenshot_20240428-174646_Facebook.jpg

12 hours ago, Cold Snap said:

At first I thought they were wild zebras but then I saw the news. There’s actually a wild population of 🦓 in California that’s thriving.

‘Making a new home for themselves in the grasslands of San Simeon, Hearst’s zebras managed to survive. Actually, they thrived. Thanks to some unexpected similarities between the ecosystems of the West Coast and the African savannah, the state of California now houses the largest wild zebra herd outside of Africa. 

Justin Brashares, who teaches wildlife ecology and conservation at the University of California-Berkeley, is not surprised at their success. “Most equids, and certainly zebras, are quite adaptable thanks to the ability to gain nutrients from a variety of plants, including pretty low quality grasses,” he adds. “They achieve this by eating a lot (called ‘bulk feeding’) and processing it quickly. This approach allows them to survive the dry season on Hearst Ranch.”’

https://bigthink.com/life/california-zebras-hearst-castle/

• Like 2
  • Storm 1

4 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Looks like a nice dump of snow in the Oregon Cascades this morning with temps solidly below freezing at pass level. Sure glad Timberline Lodge didn’t burn down a few weeks ago.

IMG_3109.jpeg

IMG_3110.jpeg

IMG_3111.jpeg

IMG_3112.jpeg

IMG_3113.jpeg

IMG_3114.jpeg

IMG_3115.jpeg

IMG_3116.jpeg

Exceptional news! 

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Just now, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Exceptional news! 

It’s been a chilly day here, still sitting at 44 with frequent showers. Have picked up about .15” today so far.

Midnight high was 47, I’m guessing we’ll get above 50 later with sunbreaks possible, but maybe not by much.

• Like 2
  • Excited 1

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

12z GFS operational and ensemble looks improved for later this week. Could end up not getting much of a sunny and warm 🌞 😎 break at all but the jury’s still out.

Looks like the operational wants to go off the rails again the long range but the ensemble mean looks solid.

IMG_3117.png

• Sun 1

All this celebration for abnormally crappy weather feels like May 2022 all over again.    Also a rapidly evolving Nina that year.    Feels like a nasty offset might be ahead.   Personally I would prefer climo weather.   But we don't have a choice.   I didn't like spring 2022 and sure didn't like late summer and fall 2022.   I might be saying I told you so by July.    And I won't be happy about the heat and smoke either.   

• Like 1
  • Weenie 2
  • Shivering 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

12 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

All this celebration for abnormally crappy weather feels like May 2022 all over again.    Also a rapidly evolving Nina that year.    Feels like a nasty offset might be ahead.   Personally I would prefer climo weather.   But we don't have a choice.   I didn't like spring 2022 and sure didn't like late summer and fall 2022.   I might be saying I told you so by July.    And I won't be happy about the heat and smoke either.   

54F with wall to wall sunshine here today so far.  Looks pretty dry this week with all the activity diving south of BC. 

• Like 1
  • bongocat-test 1

1 hour ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Chilly and raw morning out with areas of moderate showers and a current temp of 43, which is also the low for the day.

Yeah...a damp 46 at midday is a bit too chilly for my tastes this close to May 🥶

• Like 2
  • Sun 1
  • Weenie 1
  • Shivering 1

Portland | Raleigh Hills/West Sylvan | 350’

”All models are wrong, some are useful.”

-G. Box

4 minutes ago, ShawniganLake said:

54F with wall to wall sunshine here today so far.  Looks pretty dry this week with all the activity diving south of BC. 

Looks decent in the Seattle area this week as well.   But weekend will be cold and wet again.   

• Sad 1
  • Sick 1

Santiam Pass looks snowy enough for tomorrow morning that I moved everything around and delayed my 3-day Central WA road trip by a day.

Stops include the Hanford Manhattan B reactor tour, Dry Falls, Grand Coulee Dam, Ginkgo Petrified Forest.

Anything important I should add?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Not exactly thrilled about getting more 48 degree drizzle in late April and May… and I’m not exactly thrilled about getting more 80s and endless sunshine in October either.

Come to think of it, if I lived in CA, probably my least favorite thing about the climate would be how long summer can drag on down there. Pretty much October 2022, but it’s every year.

• Like 1
  • Excited 1
  • Weenie 1

10 minutes ago, Eugene-5SW said:

Santiam Pass looks snowy enough for tomorrow morning that I moved everything around and delayed my 3-day Central WA road trip by a day.

Stops include the Hanford Manhattan B reactor tour, Dry Falls, Grand Coulee Dam, Gingko Petrified Forest.

Anything important I should add?

Palouse Falls is always worth a stop, especially in the spring.

Edited by BLI snowman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Excited 1

32 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

What if I told you that it's been an absolutely idyllic and beautiful spring, Tim. And it looks now to continue. You know what they say about variety and life and spice and stuff. 

• Like 3
  • Excited 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Shivering 1

1 minute ago, BLI snowman said:

What if I told you that it's been an absolutely idyllic and beautiful spring, Tim. And it looks now to continue. You know what they say about variety and life and spice and stuff. 

It's been a very nice spring so far.   What is happening now and likely coming is quite anomalous.   Don't be mad at me when I point out the nasty offset when it comes.  On the other hand... a warm May with multiple heat events in this ENSO situation is usually offset the other way in the summer.   I would be very leary of a warm May given my preferences. 

• Like 2
  • Excited 1

4 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

That sort of logic seems to be a pretty solid one way street 

• Weenie 2

Just now, Cascadia_Wx said:

That sort of logic seems to be a pretty solid one way street 

And yet in a few weeks you will inevitably be very salty and disappear when payback comes.   Don't you have this foresight and know how this works in our warming climate? 😀

• Like 2
  • Weenie 2

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

It's been a very nice spring so far.   What is happening now and likely coming is quite anomalous.   Don't be mad at me when I point out the nasty offset when it comes.  On the other hand... a warm May with multiple heat events in this ENSO situation is usually offset the other way in the summer.   I would be very leary of a warm May given my preferences. 

This pattern is especially rough on the foothills if you like sunshine. You barely get any sun at all in North Bend with the constant upslope flow and cold air aloft. 

Puget Sound is great at suppressing afternoon cloud cover this time of year if you happen to be close enough to take advantage. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 2

29 minutes ago, the_convergence_zone said:

This pattern is especially rough on the foothills if you like sunshine. You barely get any sun at all in North Bend with the constant upslope flow and cold air aloft. 

Puget Sound is great at suppressing afternoon cloud cover this time of year if you happen to be close enough to take advantage. 

If I were you I’d start driving a big gas guzzling truck to help make sure this type of pattern becomes rarer going forward. 

#doyourpart

Edited by Cascadia_Wx
  • Excited 1

2 minutes ago, Port Angeles Foothiller said:

I feel like I am living in a different PNW than the rest of y'all. This has been a dry and warm spring. The next 2 weeks won't change that. 

image.png.2d21ee9a9ad4d0b9ff8c40407660674e.png

image.png.bc7e73eccb3124c80e5a7fc778fbf0d9.png

I have been saying this for weeks.

If anything we’re due for a meaningful cool and wet period. Last one was in early March, and that was immediately offset by the record breaking early season heatwave mid-month.

• Weenie 2

1 minute ago, the_convergence_zone said:

Yes... the pattern over the last several days.   The next 4 days look just as nice in NB as it does in Seattle.   We picked a good time to be gone.   

I am not even talking about local weather.   I just know there will be a price to pay for this kind of western mega troughing when it goes on for several weeks.

ecmwf-deterministic-namer-z500_anom-5169600.png

• Like 1
  • Snow 1

Just now, TT-SEA said:

Very short term thinking, Tim. What happened for a 10 day window in mid March was also "very anomalous" in a vacuum. That doesn't change the bigger picture which shows that it's been a fairly typical and enjoyable spring so far. With a tinge of balance now ongoing as one would expect. Nothing crazy though. It doesn't always have to have some bigger implications. 

Besides, since 2014 literally everything has been a harbinger of a warm summer. It hasn't mattered what May does since we've been batting a thousand anyways. But to humor your theory, the most summery Mays in that timeframe (2015, 2018, 2023) have definitely been foretelling of hotter and drier summers. 

• Like 4
  • Excited 1

1 minute ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

I have been saying this for weeks.

If anything we’re due for a meaningful cool and wet period. Last one was in early March, and that was immediately offset by the record breaking early season heatwave mid-month.

I don't envision that happening, at least not in my back yard. As much as I am ready for sunny porch weather (we did have a lot of late march early April nice days), we need rain in the worst way. 

• Popcorn 1
  • Snow 1

PWS: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KWAPORTA220

2023-2024 Snow Total: 18" (6 events)

3 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

If I were you I’d start driving a big gas guzzling truck to help make sure this type of patternbecomes rarer going forward. 

#doyourpart

This is what makes me want to troll you when nature inevitably pays us back ten fold for 3 weeks of deep troughing.   

• lol 1
  • Weenie 2

1 minute ago, BLI snowman said:

Very short term thinking, Tim. What happened for a 10 day window in mid March was also "very anomalous" in a vacuum. That doesn't change the bigger picture which shows that it's been a fairly typical and enjoyable spring so far. With a tinge of balance now ongoing as one would expect. Nothing crazy though. It doesn't always have to have some bigger implications. 

Besides, since 2014 literally everything has been a harbinger of a warm summer. It hasn't mattered what May does since we've been batting a thousand anyways. But to humor your theory, the most summery Mays in that timeframe (2015, 2018, 2023) have definitely been foretelling of hotter and drier summers. 

May 2022.   Rapidly evolving Nina in a post Tonga world.    Not that it matters what we want... but I have a bad feeling where this is going. 

• lol 1
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

This is what makes me want to troll you when nature inevitably pays us back ten fold for 3 weeks of deep troughing.   

For the first time ever, I am on @Cascadia_Wx's side here. Summer is going to be hot and dry regardless of deep long spring troughing. We have aprox 6 weeks to load up the water table. WE NEED RAIN. 

• Like 5
  • Popcorn 1
  • scream 1

PWS: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KWAPORTA220

2023-2024 Snow Total: 18" (6 events)