April 24-29 Multi Day Central and Southern Plains Severe Weather Outbreak

1 hour ago, OttumwaSnomow said:

Is east edge of Desmoines  getting raked? Hope not.

We went and checked out the Pleasant Hill area after it moved through. Loss of power for many, minor debris and heard of one injury. If that's all, they lucked out.

• Like 1

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

We've got a moderate for severe from SPC and for rain from WPC:

image.pngimage.png

Some ML guidance shows the highest threat more towards my area like nadocast:
image.png

But others like CSU is a bit further west:
image.png

I'm inclined to think the biggest severe weather threat will be further west towards OKC. I expect to see several strong tornadoes and reports of very large hail. As the storms congeal we will get a wind/QLCS threat morphing into a heavy rain/flood threat overnight. I don't think we will get anything truly crazy, but a couple of inches wouldn't shock me. 

• Like 3

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

For the early afternoon SRH is limited but CAPE is huge. The CAPE is probably overstated given entrainment, but this does certainly support large hail

image.png

Later in the day the hodograph blows out as the LLJ kicks in. This looks more like a QLCS tornado threat as a presumably linear feature moves in. 

image.png

• Like 3

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

Haven't had a bunch of time to track these most recent storms. I heard part of Omaha had a wedge tornado?

I can remember a few saying there should be a moderate risk but the SPC never put one up. 

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 21
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 5/4, 5/5, 5/6, 5/7
5/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

But I see SPC has a Moderate for today's outbreak. As well as an overall meatier looking Enhanced. 

swody1-20240427.png

• Like 2

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 21
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 5/4, 5/5, 5/6, 5/7
5/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

I have an enhanced risk for severe weather and a Flood Watch currently in effect.  I believe strong winds, hail and flooding will be my biggest threat.  The GFS and HRRR which have both nailed the high rainfall totals in my area are showing 4-6 inches of rain for mby.  

qpf_acc-imp.us_c.png

qpf_acc-imp.us_c.png

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Clinton said:

I have an enhanced risk for severe weather and a Flood Watch currently in effect.  I believe strong winds, hail and flooding will be my biggest threat.  The GFS and HRRR which have both nailed the high rainfall totals in my area are showing 4-6 inches of rain for mby.  

qpf_acc-imp.us_c.png

qpf_acc-imp.us_c.png

You have definitely been near ground zero in the heavy rain dept....fill up those bonds and creeks!  I think @OKwx2k4 did pretty good yesterday from that strong line that went through in the morning.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tom said:

You have definitely been near ground zero in the heavy rain dept....fill up those bonds and creeks!  I think @OKwx2k4 did pretty good yesterday from that strong line that went through in the morning.

My ponds are running about half full atm, the streams have running water for the first time this spring.  5 additional inches of rain will just about fill them up.

• Like 3
  • Excited 1

Tonight is still uncertain for us.  Models are predicting anything from a half inch to three inches of rain.  I'm afraid the ones showing storms popping near to just south of us and then propagating southeastward will be correct.  That would dump inches of rain over southeast Iowa down into Missouri, but much less here.

• Like 1
  • Storm 1
  • bongocat-test 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

5 minutes ago, Clinton said:

My ponds are running about half full atm, the streams have running water for the first time this spring.  5 additional inches of rain will just about fill them up.

That sounds wonderful and I think you will have full ponds after this event...you've missed out on the previous storm chance but now it appears the tables have turned.  Not just you, but a lot of peeps on here have scored.  

@Grizzcoat, you really did a good job capturing those TOR's and I'm sure this will be a vivid memory that will be remembered for the rest of your life.   I'd love to go storm chasing one day and be able to hear the sights and sounds of a EF 3 or higher.   Just and incredible thing to be able to witness.  Those wedge TOR's were just picturesque Beasts across NE into IA!

• Like 3

Ended up being too far north for the severe weather, mainly just had a couple rumbles of thunder. We did receive some beneficial rainfall though with 1.12 in the bucket. We are now above average for total April precip. 

If I knew the tornado outbreak was going to be as prolific as it was down near Omaha yesterday I would have tried to make my way down there and check it out. Ever since I watched Twister as a kid, I've always wanted to see a tornado in person. Maybe one day.

• Like 3

The latest HRRR clobbers Missouri and Illinois while screwing Iowa.

Update:  The 3kNAM is doing the same thing

image.thumb.png.fdaa0498706f3c73df075d36f2a1f82e.png

image.thumb.png.14ac355117d8682058bfeef1312fb059.png

• Like 1

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Action has started early.  Be safe Oklahoma and Kansas folks.

The latest NADOCAST forecast of tornado probabilities has just gone through the roof across portions of Oklahoma into southern Kansas including OKC to Wichita. It will be interesting to see if this tornado outrbeak verifies. Stay tuned to watches and warnings across the southern Plains and have those family safety plans in place and ready to execute at the drop of a hat
May be an image of ‎map, tornado and ‎text that says '‎سر مه Nadocast Day 2024-4-27 14Z ه Valid 2024-4-27 16:00 TC Through 2024-4-28 1:00 TC Chance ofa tornado within Charcodfatomadowitin25mesia 25 miles ofa point. HRRR 14/13/1 14/13/12ZRAP RAP 14/13/12Z HREF 12Z SREF 9Z 2020 Models nadocast.com nadocas 0.1818243%65810%15:308456 .1% 2% 3% 5% 10% 15% 30% 45% 60%‎'‎‎
US.png
  • Like 1

Current view looking SW in NW Oklahoma City! Ive got a cover on my sunroof and some pads I’ve affixed to my windshield in case of big hail lol.  4Runner is also pointed into the wind so hopefully side windows don’t get smashed 

IMG_2717.jpeg

IMG_2730.jpeg

• Like 7

I'm fine being in the cold sector of this storm. Any rain is beneficial after the dud of a winter. We're actually above normal precip in March/April between the late March snowstorm and the past 2 rainstorms.

• Like 5

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Possible ugly night tonight. The warm temps will fuel these storms. Large hail high wind, and tornados in the forecast. Winds haven’t stopped howling all day.  This one is really winding up for the pitch.

81* Overcast  

Humidity 61%. 
Wind Gusting to 40mph

• Like 2

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Getting a nice steady generous rain here after some thunderstorms rolled through earlier this afternoon… finally passed the 1 inch mark for storm total rainfall earlier. 

Looks like the heavy swath of convection to the south (in KS/ MO) might eat away at our heavy rain/ thunderstorm potential for tonight… however I am really enjoying this soaking rainfall right now without the destruction from yesterday’s storms.

• Like 4

There's some big supercells in SE Kansas moving right toward me and its very thick outside with a temp of 76.  Really hope I just get the rain but I think it's going to come with some wind and hail.

• Storm 2

14 minutes ago, Clinton said:

There's some big supercells in SE Kansas moving right toward me and its very thick outside with a temp of 76.  Really hope I just get the rain but I think it's going to come with some wind and hail.

Looks like this system might bust your local drought once and for all… it’s nice to see the stubborn patterns of the last 2-3 years starting to breakdown a bit. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Bryan1117 said:

Looks like this system might bust your local drought once and for all… it’s nice to see the stubborn patterns of the last 2-3 years starting to breakdown a bit. 

Yes!  A real possibility of 3-5 inches of rain tonight on top of the 2.8 I've had so far.

• Like 1
  • Rain 1

Mets are trying to prepare people for a Saturday night at home if they’ll listen. Large hail, high wind and a possible tornado. (I hate nighttime tornados). 

Currently 77*. Humidity at 79%.  
Wind officially 17mph but I’ve been out there.  It’s a good deal higher and gustier.

A line of strong storms are currently from Snyder, Texas to Lawton, Okla moving SSE.  The cap has remained in place this afternoon but we’re expecting that to change overnight. With strong evening storms.  
Hoping for no night tornados. 🤞

• Like 2

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Bust city here again.  I got about a tenth this evening, which puts my 2-wave weekend total at 0.25"... a very far cry from the 2-3+ inches the models were spitting out for days.

• Facepalm 2

1 hour ago, OttumwaSnomow said:

Another wet day! Love it!   .80"  this pm and still raining.  Weekend total  now 1.7"  and incredibly  now at 7 inches in April!  And there hasnt been a extreme  amount of run off or gully washers.  Soaking  in and saturated!

Meanwhile, I have received only 2.87" in April, still well below the 3.6" average.  One county west of Cedar Rapids some locations have received less than 1.5" in April.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1