May 2024 Pacific Northwest Weather

Just now, Cascadia_Wx said:

Just today? 😂

I never freak out now... just take it as it comes.   Age does that to a person.    Maybe some day your butt will unclench and you will realize you are just a grain of sand that will vanish in an instant.  ;)

• Like 1
  • Excited 1
  • lol 1
  • Weenie 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

7 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I never freak out now... just take it as it comes.   Age does that to a person.    Maybe some day your butt will unclench and you will realize you are just a grain of sand that will vanish in an instant.  ;)

Not sure if that’s the best advice.

image.gif

• Excited 1
  • lol 3
  • Troll 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

1 minute ago, Deweydog said:

image.gif

RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman.  Gone way before his time.  :(

• Sad 4
  • scream 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

18z ICON caved even more towards the EPS.

• Like 1
  • Snow 1

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

1 minute ago, Meatyorologist said:

18z ICON caved even more towards the Euro.

Just 12 hours ago that would mean trended more ridgy.  

KSEA is now sitting at 74F. Ties March 16th for warmest day of the year so far. If we didn't today on the inter-hourly obs, we'll definitely crush that high water mark tomorrow.

• Like 4

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

Temperatures:

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

Just 12 hours ago that would mean trended more ridgy.  

I edited my post to say EPS for a good reason. I'm not so used to the Euro being so out of line from its own ensemble mean! Just said Euro out of instinct

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

Temperatures:

Just now, Meatyorologist said:

I edited my post to say EPS for a good reason. I'm not so used to the Euro being so out of line from its own ensemble mean! Just said Euro out of instinct

Even the EPS was much more ridgy on the runs yesterday.    Complete flip in the Euro suite this morning.  

IMG_3287.png

One thing that's nice about this ridge is that it's an entirely midlatitude feature. There's no 4CH component at all, in fact there is a weak trough over that part of the country. I think that is why we are able to see more ways to break it down easily and reintroduce troughing. If we were dealing with a huge, sprawling high with connections down to CA and AZ we'd probably be staring right down the barrel of perma-summer once more.

Obviously we'll have to deal with it eventually as its presence and transient influence on the region is normal Summer climo. But the fact we are not seeing it yet, combined with the recently re-aquired ability in the 2020s to get substantial troughing regimes into AMJ, give me hope that the core of the warm season is still a ways away.

• Like 5

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

Temperatures:

1 hour ago, Phil said:

How do you sleep with it that warm? I need mid/upper 60s or colder to sleep deeply.

Furnace was set at 70 for many months.   Not sure last time it ran but I turned it off yesterday morning and it was 70 in here at that time.    Now what do we do Phil?   Turn on AC on what will be a relatively chilly night at least down into the low 50s?

20240509_185433.jpg

• lol 1
  • Popcorn 1

56 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

image.gif

My kids were nine and twelve when that came out. Not sure they ever saw the movie but the word shart was said in our house hundreds of times. 

• Like 2

Climate experience post. 

Speaking from personal experience, the body’s ability to adjust to certain climate is an amazing one. 
Having lived in the PNW climate for over 3 decades I wanted to find out how long it would take for my body to adjust to the heat here in SE Asia. I’ve been here since April 23 and the first couple days were absolutely brutal with the heat and humidity. However, after the first week, my body was slowly starting to adjust and now, little more than 2 weeks I’ve been here this heat feels “ normal” — so for me, it didn’t take that long. The biggest thing is to remain hydrated.

Fwiw, the humidity is still shitty, but feeling less sticky and icky. Still need the AC to comfortably sleep at night. 

I’ll be here until the end of this month, quite curious to know what it “feels” like by then. 

IMG_5280.png

• Like 7

2 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

Pretty excited for @SilverFallsAndrew as this warm spell could start his trees budding.   Per his report... he was 12 weeks out from any sign life in early March so by early June there might be some tiny signs of life up there on his lofty perch.   At least the grass might come out of dormancy soon.   

Interestingly... the trees are already leafed out today on May 9th at Snoqualmie Pass which is significantly higher than his location and farther north.   

090vc05520.jpg

Looks like you guys are running well behind us w/rt foliage this year Even more so now than last year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Meatyorologist said:

KSEA is now sitting at 74F. Ties March 16th for warmest day of the year so far. If we didn't today on the inter-hourly obs, we'll definitely crush that high water mark tomorrow.

Sometimes I forget how truly superior your climate is. Even back in the LIA we rarely if ever made it this far into the year without hitting 80+. This year we did it in January. :lol: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Meatyorologist said:

IMG_3287.png

One thing that's nice about this ridge is that it's an entirely midlatitude feature. There's no 4CH component at all, in fact there is a weak trough over that part of the country. I think that is why we are able to see more ways to break it down easily and reintroduce troughing. If we were dealing with a huge, sprawling high with connections down to CA and AZ we'd probably be staring right down the barrel of perma-summer once more.

Obviously we'll have to deal with it eventually as its presence and transient influence on the region is normal Summer climo. But the fact we are not seeing it yet, combined with the recently re-aquired ability in the 2020s to get substantial troughing regimes into AMJ, give me hope that the core of the warm season is still a ways away.

Enjoy it while it lasts. The entire country will probably be painted red come July.

Or maybe Andrew is right and there’ll be a tiny sliver of blue in WA/OR. But I wouldn’t count on it.

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, Frontal Snowsquall said:

While we heat up tomorrow looks like you will cool off a bit. 

IMG_3381.thumb.jpeg.311130535a0d997311d49323c6aaa913.jpeg

Me and the gf plan to run a 10K tomorrow. We don’t have many cool days left in the tank, need to take advantage of every one.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, Cloud said:

Climate experience post. 

Speaking from personal experience, the body’s ability to adjust to certain climate is an amazing one. 
Having lived in the PNW climate for over 3 decades I wanted to find out how long it would take for my body to adjust to the heat here in SE Asia. I’ve been here since April 23 and the first couple days were absolutely brutal with the heat and humidity. However, after the first week, my body was slowly starting to adjust and now, little more than 2 weeks I’ve been here this heat feels “ normal” — so for me, it didn’t take that long. The biggest thing is to remain hydrated.

Fwiw, the humidity is still shitty, but feeling less sticky and icky. Still need the AC to comfortably sleep at night. 

I’ll be here until the end of this month, quite curious to know what it “feels” like by then. 

IMG_5280.png

That’ll be my 10 day forecast soon enough. 🤢 

20 minutes ago, Phishy Wx said:

headed to BFE Saturday night for the Aurora storm.  they've been pretty active this year

The geomagnetic storm warning on the 11th pertains to universal (i.e. Greenwich) time. May 11th universal time is from 5:00 pm local time Friday the 10th to 5:00 pm local time Saturday the 11th. In other words, the best chance of a light show is Friday night and Saturday morning, not Saturday night.

• Angry 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

2 hours ago, Meatyorologist said:

18z ICON caved even more towards the EPS.

And now the 00z ICON looks like the GFS again. 😱 

• Shivering 1

1 hour ago, MossMan said:

Forum Thermostat check! 

IMG_4845.jpeg

This probably sounds weird, but I don't have a thermostat. We have 2 woodstoves in the house with a large surplus of firewood, and a couple plug in heaters that we don't use, just have it in case we need it. We have an AC in our window in summer which we rarely use, it usually gets cold enough here at night that all we need to do is open our window. Never had a point of installing a HVAC system in our house when we built it, would've been pointless for how expensive it is.

• Excited 1

Coldest temp this winter: -7 Jan 13th

Snow depth at Mount Bachelor (last updated April 29th) 88"

Snow depth at my home (updated April 29th) late season 1"!

23-24 seasonal snowfall at home (updated April 29th) 92"!!

First off I will clarify, I don't know s**t about forecasting for alaska, but it seems like the weather is looking decent for our Denali expedition starting Sunday, seems like 1/3rd of the days will be pretty clear and the other days will be somewhat cold and snowy but it's not looking like we'll have many major storms to bring us extreme cold winds and heavy snow, those storms are usually what you have to worry about. 20-40% of the days being nice is usually all you need to be able to summit, the bad weather days are used for altitude acclimation.

Not sure if we'll actually be able to land on the Kahiltna glacier on Sunday, that's when our air taxi is reserved but it often gets delayed because of weather. Forecast is calling for light snow in the morning without much wind and I am yet to be informed if they can fly in those conditions, hopefully they can because otherwise we'll have to wait till Wednesday to fly to the glacier.

1 hour ago, Phishy Wx said:

headed to BFE Saturday night for the Aurora storm.  they've been pretty active this year

Flying to Anchorage Alaska tommorow afternoon and will stay 2 nights in Talkeetna, pretty lucky for this solar storm to overlap with our trip up to the land of the northern lights, but unfortunately it's looking super cloudy tommorow night. Maybe we'll get a miracle...

38 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

The geomagnetic storm warning on the 11th pertains to universal (i.e. Greenwich) time. May 11th universal time is from 5:00 pm local time Friday the 10th to 5:00 pm local time Saturday the 11th. In other words, the best chance of a light show is Friday night and Saturday morning, not Saturday night.

Is there any chance of a light show on Saturday night? It's looking like we have a chance of getting a couple of open patches in the clouds thst night, would love to see the aurora!

Well they were closing the plane doors right as we got onto our connecting flight to PDX but we are headed back to Oregon.

• Like 5

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

4 minutes ago, Sunriver Snow Zone said:

Flying to Anchorage Alaska tommorow afternoon and will stay 2 nights in Talkeetna, pretty lucky for this solar storm to overlap with our trip up to the land of the northern lights, but unfortunately it's looking super cloudy tommorow night. Maybe we'll get a miracle...

Is there any chance of a light show on Saturday night? It's looking like we have a chance of getting a couple of open patches in the clouds thst night, would love to see the aurora!

In Alaska, sure. In Oregon, not so much.

• Excited 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

23 minutes ago, Phil said:

We have the same thermostat. 😂 Tim’s is just weird looking.

IMG_2633.jpeg

Look at you, Mr. top 1% living the high life with your fancy WiFi thermostat!! 

• lol 2
  • Weenie 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

11 hours ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Oregonlive has been pimping stories about the Grizzly reintroduction in North Cascades. Apparently they are going to reintroduce 25 bears into the ecosystem… 

As a selfish person who often goes solo backpacking there, screw that and screw the bears. It was bad enough having them in Wyoming and Montana where i have had a few grizzly charges in my lifetime, now they're putting them in Washington too...

I understand how rare grizzly attacks are and that it's not common enough for if to be something worth worrying about, and how they benefit the eco system, but I'd be lying if I didn't say I'd prefer not having them. I love a friendly encounter with them, they are beautiful and amazing creatures to see, but I've had few too many unfriendly counters with the grizzlies for me to want to be anywear near them. Afterall, bear spray is only 94% effective at deterring a charging grizz.

• Like 1

• bongocat-test 1