February 2014 in the PNW

stuffradio

Again, it could be the lack of resolution on the GEFS, hence poor handling of the Cascades' influence.

The ECMWF doesn't take 850s below -4 in SEA before flow turns onshore and temps/dewpoints rise in the low levels.

As I said the ECMWF ensemble was the best of all on the 12z run. We'll see how it goes.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

lol! When does Jim not seem optimistic ? :)

Apparently you missed my meltdown earlier. If the GFS was the best model at this point I wouldn't have much hope. As it is the GFS and ECMWF ensemble both look pretty decent. They look much better at the 500mb level than the operational GFS as well as at the 850mb level.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

00z nam is just a tad warmer at the end of the run. But has plenty of moisture when 850mb is at -6 or so. The trends today have been a bummer but I feel like it will get better at the last minute.

Verbatim it would be a lot of wet snow, no?

Huge potential with this one.

00z nam is just a tad warmer at the end of the run. But has plenty of moisture when 850mb is at -6 or so. The trends today have been a bummer but I feel like it will get better at the last minute.

You feel this way because?... that is what usually happens, or because that it is climo?... What are you basing this off of? :)

You feel this way because?... that is what usually happens, or because that it is climo?... What are you basing this off of? :)

I am basing this off of past events. Have seen it many times in the 24-36 hr period when things can change fast. It's not like the pattern has been taken away it just need tweaked a little. I do know that it is a very complex pattern and is almost certain to have a few surprises.

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

What's call for Vancouver BC area? And wait till tmrw night for models to make a judgement just like last weekend for us it didn't really look good till Thursday

2013/2014 Winter season

Coldest Low: 14 F December 7th

Coldest High: 27.3 F December 7th

Coldest Wind chill: 5 F December 7th

Lowest Dew Point: -2.2 F December 6th

Days below freezing: 5

Total Snowfall: 11 inches

Most snowfall in a Day: 8 inches

Days With Snow: 3

I'm getting worried in spite of the 12z GFS and ECMWF ensemble runs being so insistent the operational GFS is too warm. Of course the GFS will be right this time because it shows an unfavorable outcome for us.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Normally I would agree with his statement based on the 12z ECMWF suite of models. The fact the NAM and GFS are both terrible on this run really concerns me. What looked like a possible epic March blast a few days ago looks like we may struggle to get below freezing now. Overall I'm pretty disgusted with how this winter worked out for the Puget Sound area. Pretty much every place in the northern half of the country had more snow than us this winter, including many locations in the Western lowlands of the NW. My frustration meter is at a perfect 10 right now.

I've only had one freezing low temperature since the Arctic blast early this month.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Those darn cascades keep the cold air from spilling in.

It's not even really that now. The 500mb pattern never gets that great either. Too much energy remains north of the border. Kind of like a mild redux of Jan 2005.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I'm getting worried in spite of the 12z GFS and ECMWF ensemble runs being so insistent the operational GFS is too warm. Of course the GFS will be right this time because it shows an unfavorable outcome for us.

It is a real fragile situation. That low placement is the problem and those a very hard to determine where they will set up.

It is a real fragile situation. That low placement is the problem and those a very hard to determine where they will set up.

The problem is that lows like that are pretty prone to get hung up North longer than modeled. Same thing happened last weekend.

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

It's not even really that now. The 500mb pattern never gets that great either. Too much energy remains north of the border. Kind of like a mild redux of Jan 2005.

But we have seen this happen so many times. Tomorrow they could flip to the better. If the 12z tomorrow don't improve we might be doomed.

But we have seen this happen so many times. Tomorrow they could flip to the better. If the 12z tomorrow don't improve we might be doomed.

I'm still holding out a little bit of hope.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Analyzing the ECMWF/GGEM, I think the problem is they keep the PV too far west, holding it up in western Canada, perturbing the meridional stress. The GFS meanwhile pushes it further SE, allowing the cold farther south.

If the PV remains in western Canada, the cold will struggle to make it past the Cascades. In January we can get away with that, but if I lived in SEA I'd want the GFS to verify.

I think the PV is honoring the increased border restrictions.  No passports? no go!

• Like 2

It appears the GEM is a little bit better at hour 72, but it's taking forever to update beyond that. All in all that model has apparently done the best with this. It never had any great runs like the GFS and ECMWF did.

On another note a huge MJO wave is finally emerging and will apparently be getting into octants 1 and 2 by the middle of March. That should finally put an end to the pattern that has dominated the past several weeks. I'm ready for a more traditional pattern to emerge. Just way too much disappointment to have enjoyed most of this winter.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

It's amazing how we burn our eyeballs looking at these models for 4 months for the chance we get 24hrs of winter. Gets old.

Yeah...I'm so ready to move. My energy is drained.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Yeah...I'm so ready to move. My energy is drained.

I agree... I feel that trying, to keep trying, is too trying... ;)  I am ready to move on and bring some spring and warm weather as we can all see where this is going. kinda sucks but we should be pretty used to it here now.  Well, we have a possible El Nino to look forward to. Gooo team!  <_>

For those interested I am a regular contributor on the Weatherbell Maps and Forecasts page on Facebook. I generally post once or twice a day, and focus on the Western US as well as the longer range as time permits and there's something interesting to discuss. I'd love to have feedback and commentary from any of you on here with interest. Posts are only part of the fun (I would prefer not to hear myself talk)...commentary and analysis by users/clients is 10x better than simply reading my own analysis.

https://www.facebook.com/wxmaps

My latest post: https://www.facebook.com/wxmaps/posts/727365933950120

The Pacific Northwest: Where storms go to die.

Just for lolz, the GGEM buries Brennan in NYC with 18" of snow..he's like a snow magnet. Gets crushed in Bellingham, then the snow follows him to NYC.

Just for lolz, the GGEM buries Brennan in NYC with 18" of snow..he's like a snow magnet. Gets crushed in Bellingham, then the snow follows him to NYC.

Ok I don’t know what it is, but the 23*F tonight in NY feels like about 10 in Bellingham. It’s beyond cold, and it’s windy too. I’m not sure I like the cold weather here. The snow piles on the sides of the road are disgusting too, reminds me of being in Anchorage in the middle of winter when it hasn’t snowed in a week. I’m staying on Staten Island right near the S.I. Ferry. The roads are filled with potholes from all the salt they’ve poured over here this winter. The new mayor has his hands full.