February 2014 in the PNW

stuffradio

All relative Andrew... all relative.

I have an aunt visiting my mom in Bellingham from Wisconsin and she says its really nice.

Everyone living here will think upper 20s and low 30s feels like the arctic circle. But to most place at our latitude that is called early spring weather. :)

Why do you always try to say our cold weather is nothing compared to other places? Who cares... We understand like you always have something to complain about. You are bi-polar sir. It's cold to us cause we live here. Too me with 35mph wind and 18F wind chill it's FREEZING

• Like 1

2013/2014 Winter season

Coldest Low: 14 F December 7th

Coldest High: 27.3 F December 7th

Coldest Wind chill: 5 F December 7th

Lowest Dew Point: -2.2 F December 6th

Days below freezing: 5

Total Snowfall: 11 inches

Most snowfall in a Day: 8 inches

Days With Snow: 3

I have an aunt from Wisconsin visiting my mom in Bellingham and she says its really nice.    

Everyone living here will think upper 20s and low 30s feels like the arctic circle.    But to most places at our latitude that is called early spring weather.   :)

NOT TO TAKE AWAY FROM WHAT IS AN HISTORICAL COLD EVENT FOR THIS REGION.     It is still that for sure...and about to become very snowy to the south which will make it very memorable.

Yeah, almost 0 degrees here with wind chills expected to get to -30 tonight, tell me about it :P

Environment Canada is getting worked up about something.  Monday is a stat holiday up here too. I can't recall them giving warning this far in advance before

Special weather statement for
BC South Coast

Family day weekend snowstorm.

Environment Canada expects an untimely snowstorm on the family day weekend.

At present the fine details of a complex and evolving weather pattern including the timing, potential accumulations and affected areas remain uncertain. However, the storm is headed directly at the South Coast and Southwest Interior of British Columbia.

As the storm approaches, the public alerting process will resemble the following:

1) an updated special weather statement will be issued Friday.

2) snowfall and/or other warnings will be issued within 24 hours of the first flurries.

3) warnings will be updated as required.

4) a post-storm summary will be issued.

While the details are still to be determined, forecasters are confident this storm will greatly impact the South Coast and Southwest Interior.

We suggest that everyone potentially affected by this storm through travel (or otherwise) begin making plan b's and c's for the weekend.

I have an aunt from Wisconsin visiting my mom in Bellingham and she says its really nice.    

Everyone living here will think upper 20s and low 30s feels like the arctic circle.    But to most place at our latitude that is called early spring weather.   :)

NOT TO TAKE AWAY FROM WHAT IS AN HISTORICAL COLD EVENT FOR THIS REGION.     It is still that for sure...and about to become very snowy to the south which will make it very memorable.

I don't think anyone at our latitude would refer to upper 20s and low 30s as early Spring weather. That's a pretty laughable statement. Maybe mildish winter weather for some places in the upper midwest, but pretty hard to make the case that it is spring weather for everywhere else but here when Minneapolis hits upper 20s to low 30s frequently throughout the winter even during a cold winter overall.

Even during their brutal January Minneapolis hit 25+ 14 days out of 31.  Ten of those were 30+. What was all that "spring-like" weather doing in one of their coldest Januaries ever? :)

Bottom line is: stop trolling with ridiculous, nonsensical statements/claims that can easily be disproven.

I don't think anyone at our latitude would refer to upper 20s and low 30s as early Spring weather. That's a pretty laughable statement. Maybe mildish winter weather for some places in the upper midwest, but pretty hard to make the case that it is spring weather for everywhere else but here when Minneapolis hits upper 20s to low 30s frequently throughout the winter even during a cold winter overall.

Even during their brutal January Minneapolis hit 25 or better 14 days out of 31.  Ten of those were 30+. What was all that "spring-like" weather doing in one of their coldest Januaries ever? :)

Bottom line is: stop trolling with ridiculous statements of that nature.

Upper 20s is early spring weather for Vladivostok at 43N.

This is the coldest east wind I've seen in all the years I've lived here.   Currently 21 after a high of 26.  The current temps is only 2 degrees above this morning's low so I'm thinking 15 or lower in spite of the wind tonight.  Exceptional...especially considering it's a bit late in the winter.

I knew mid 30s was way too warm of a forecast for today.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Upper 20s is early spring weather for Vladivostok at 43N.

We might as well go all out and say no US cold snap is worth a D**n compared to Antarctica.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

This is the coldest east wind I've seen in all the years I've lived here.   Currently 21 after a high of 26.  The current temps is only 2 degrees above this morning's low so I'm thinking 15 or lower in spite of the wind tonight.  Exceptional...especially considering it's a bit late in the winter.

It was 32 in Seattle.    My 30-35 forecast was CRAZY warm.    So sorry.  :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

26F

12F windchill

30 mph winds at 6 pm

2013/2014 Winter season

Even during their brutal January Minneapolis hit 25+ 14 days out of 31.  Ten of those were 30+. What was all that "spring-like" weather doing in one of their coldest Januaries ever? :)

Bottom line is: stop trolling with ridiculous, nonsensical statements/claims that can easily be disproven.

Minneapolis is at -1 right now.    31 or 32 would feel exactly as I described.      They had 31 nights with below zero lows between 12/1 and 1/31.

We are finally getting in on the action on the back side.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

What was up with the ECMWF showing an inch of snow here tomorrow night?  I hope it's onto something!

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Guest Winterdog

You are really packing in the low temps this winter! I had a high of 28F today after a low of 21F. I can't seem to compete with your temps anymore. Currently 22F and going down. You are going to get snow this weekend and I'm going to get NOTHING again!

It was 32 in Seattle.    My 30-35 forecast was CRAZY warm.    So sorry.   :)

You made it very clear there would be no 32 or below highs with this.  I seem to remember a lot of talk about 36 for today.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

What was up with the ECMWF showing an inch of snow here tomorrow night?  I hope it's onto something!

My Man Wiz!  It's going to snow over a good portion of Western Washington Thursday night and Friday morning.  Not a lot, but it only takes a quarter inch to throw folks into a tizzy.

It is going to snow in Seattle tomorrow night??

ECMWF says it will.

Not here :(

2013/2014 Winter season

You are really packing in the low temps this winter! I had a high of 28F today after a low of 21F. I can't seem to compete with your temps anymore. Currently 22F and going down. You are going to get snow this weekend and I'm going to get NOTHING again!

It must have something to do with these Arctic blasts having such an easterly component to them.  In true Fraser River blasts you do very well.  I can't believe the temp has already fallen 6 degrees since the high in spite of gusty winds.  Definitely a withering wind.  The ivy and rhodies look pretty unhappy right now.  Last night they left the early spring plants outside at Safeway and they were withered and black by 11pm when I went there.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Jesse,

What is my snowfall going to be? You are close by and know weather better than me, probably only take you a few minutes.

Hard to tell. There is still a lot of uncertainty as to how far north moisture will make it. You seem to be in a favored, high elevation spot, so if we could get the low to track through Cottage Grove or thereabouts I could see you really scoring with a deformation band to the north of the low. Maybe 3-6 inches? That's IF the low tracks favorably.

It must have something to do with these Arctic blasts having such an easterly component to them.  In true Fraser River blasts you do very well.  I can't believe the temp has already fallen 6 degrees since the high in spite of gusty winds.  Definitely a withering wind.  The ivy and rhodies look pretty unhappy right now.  Last night they left the early spring plants outside at Safeway and they were withered and black by 11pm when I went there.

:D

Already down to 18 here with wind. Windchill is in the single digits to around zero. It is downright brutal out there, unless you are an antarctic emperor penguin, in which case it is balmy and springlike.

Guest Winterdog

I wish we would freeze out some of those palm trees people are growing around here, I really hate those things.
  • Like 4

My Man Wiz!  It's going to snow over a good portion of Western Washington Thursday night and Friday morning.  Not a lot, but it only takes a quarter inch to throw folks into a tizzy.

The Euro showed about .08 water equivalent for this area.  With snow to water ratios almost certain to be 20 to 1 or better that is an inch and a half of snow.  I hope tonight's 0z models lend some support to the solution.  Looking at current sat pics it's not out of the question.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Hard to tell. There is still a lot of uncertainty as to how far north moisture will make it. You seem to be in a favored, high elevation spot, so if we could get the low to track through Cottage Grove or thereabouts I could see you really scoring with a deformation band to the north of the low. Maybe 3-6 inches? That's IF the low tracks favorably.

Thanks, is that through Saturday night?

:D

Already down to 18 here with wind. Windchill is in the single digits to around zero. It is downright brutal out there, unless you are an antarctic emperor penguin, in which case it is balmy and springlike.

I figured you would like that.  It's down to 19 here now.  For this area to have an east wind as cold as the gorge is pretty impressive.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I wish we would freeze out some of those palm trees people are growing around here, I really hate those things.

I have two neighbors that had palms which died in Nov 2010.  Other than that I haven't seen any up here.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9