June 2022 - Summer Begins

TT-SEA

4 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

It numbs life, lets you avoid confronting your insecurities and problems. Your son's friends have taken it to the absolute extreme end, which is unfortunate; I hope they get the real help they need... Obviously infinitely better than it still being criminalized but as with anything, moderation is key.

Could easily say all of the same things about alcohol, or anything else with the potential for addictiveness really.

• Like 5

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

58 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Funny you should mention that.   My son just spent 20 minutes telling me about their friend and his girlfriend who came with them today on the boat.   These two people don't drink... they just smoke weed.   Like constantly.    Every waking hour.   They were never like this in high school but they went to Western in Bellingham and I guess that is the culture there.    So they get on the boat and everyone is relaxing and they have beer in a cooler and the music is playing and the sun is shining but these two people were like caged animals.   All they could talk about was getting off the boat to go get cheesy bread and find a random basketball court somewhere to eat and smoke weed and shoot hoops.   My son it was crazy... they just could not relax.   Not sure how they are doing in college... but they both graduated high school with honors were basically straight A students.    My son said he feels like he doesn't even know them any more.  

Most likely vitamin D deficiency. 

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

10 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Could easily say all of the same things about alcohol, or anything else with the potential for addictiveness really.

Absolutely! Alcohol is in fact, unlike THC, quite neurotoxic and far more addictive. And on a sum basis, far worse for society as a whole. I enjoy both. Both should be legal.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

4 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Was that the one with the ultra-deadly marine push?

I just ran the archived satellite loop... looks like tomorrow is the match for 7-10-08.     The models for tomorrow look just like what happened that day.    And then it scoured out the marine layer and it didn't return for about 9 days.    That trough kicked off a long sunny period.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I am sure I am jinxing it... but the 00Z GFS shows what would be an absolutely perfect holiday weekend.    Sunny and dry with highs in the upper 70s to low 80s all 3 days.  

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

19 minutes ago, Frontal Snowsquall said:

Who knew we would have something in common with South Florida😆

PALM TREES.

• Like 1
  • Sick 1

6 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Really nice evening out. Have been watching the sunset of the longest day of the year slowly fade from the back porch.

Sunsets actually get a bit later in the coming days.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Indeed. Days don’t get longer though. ;) 

That’s the one thing I like about summer. Walking outside in full daylight at 9pm brings me joy.

At some point I’d like to move somewhere farther north where those summer evenings are even longer.

• Excited 2

1 minute ago, Phil said:

GFS is wrong about that 2nd cutoff ULL stalling.

Doesn't really stall... actually looks almost exactly like the GEM loop that I posted last night when we were debating what result would require you to dismember yourself.   😀

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

Doesn't really stall... actually looks almost exactly like the GEM loop that I posted last night when we were debating what result would require you to dismember yourself.   😀

Lol, funny what alcohol does to the brain.

And at least the CMC has sobered up. The GFS is still plastered.

1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

Funny you should mention that.   My son just spent 20 minutes telling me about their friend and his girlfriend who came with them today on the boat.   These two people don't drink... they just smoke weed.   Like constantly.    Every waking hour.   They were never like this in high school but they went to Western in Bellingham and I guess that is the culture there.    So they get on the boat and everyone is relaxing and they have beer in a cooler and the music is playing and the sun is shining but these two people were like caged animals.   All they could talk about was getting off the boat to go get cheesy bread and find a random basketball court somewhere to eat and smoke weed and shoot hoops.   My son it was crazy... they just could not relax.   Not sure how they are doing in college... but they both graduated high school with honors were basically straight A students.    My son said he feels like he doesn't even know them any more.  

Love weed myself but moderation is a virtue. Would never use it daily.

• Like 3
It's called clown range for a reason.

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

CMC solution makes sense.

That would result in similar weather to the GFS solution for the holiday weekend.    Its a dry pattern with temps near normal.    Of course it only goes out through 7/2.   And if the GEM has day 10 exactly right... it would literally be the first time in history!

1 hour ago, BLI snowman said:

Definitely, but late September can even more often be persistently wet/coolish. I had a high in the 40s here on September 29, 2019. There's a big range to the list of possibilities at that point. Places like Salem have been to 90 as late as October 10 before, but they also have seen snow in the Willamette Valley as early as October 12 before back in 1881.

That airmass in September 2019 is underrated for sure. Just as anomalous as this April imo. Places especially in the Columbia Basin were just smashing all time monthly cold high temp records by several degrees.

If only that September 15 - October 31 500mb setup had held off a couple months. Would have been a Western winter for the record books. Instead we got a Western fall for the record books. Not quite the same but it was a pretty awesome stretch for sure.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

So UW is stereotyped as the smart school, Western as the hippie school, Evergreen is the real hippie school, Pullman the jock/frat school but what about Central or Eastern?

Today was a beautiful day. I think we either hit 80 or fell just short of it. 78 was what I saw on my last break about 4. Down to about 62 outside.

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel), 4/5/24 (T)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)

49 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Most likely vitamin D deficiency. 

California and Colorado are known for lack of marijuana consumption. Or is it lack of sunshine? Hmmmm

44 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

Absolutely! Alcohol is in fact, unlike THC, quite neurotoxic and far more addictive. And on a sum basis, far worse for society as a whole. I enjoy both. Both should be legal.

All depends on the attitude. College drinking culture is IMO everything wrong with college. I hate it. But on the other hand Spain, Italy, Portugal are the biggest wine drinkers in the world and yet have very low alcoholism rates. From what I understand they generally see wine more as a food item rather than something just to get drunk from… much healthier approach.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BLI snowman said:

Definitely, but late September can even more often be persistently wet/coolish. I had a high in the 40s here on September 29, 2019. There's a big range to the list of possibilities at that point. Places like Salem have been to 90 as late as October 10 before, but they also have seen snow in the Willamette Valley as early as October 12 before back in 1881.

Something I found interesting was that before the June 2021 heatwave, the all-time September max temp (105) at PDX was hotter than the all time June temp!  And we had those 2017/2020 smoke events in September. I don't know why but I always felt like June was more of a summer month than September

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Doiinko said:

Something I found interesting was that before the June 2021 heatwave, the all-time September max temp (105) at PDX was hotter than the all time June temp!  And we had those 2017/2020 smoke events in September. I don't know why but I always felt like June was more of a summer month than September

The longer daylight, higher sun angles and lack of changing leaves/cool, foggy mornings has always made June feel like more of a summer month than September to me personally. Even if both average out similar temp wise and June can be cloudier sometimes.

• Like 5

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

52 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

California and Colorado are known for lack of marijuana consumption. Or is it lack of sunshine? Hmmmm

All depends on the attitude. College drinking culture is IMO everything wrong with college. I hate it. But on the other hand Spain, Italy, Portugal are the biggest wine drinkers in the world and yet have very low alcoholism rates. From what I understand they generally see wine more as a food item rather than something just to get drunk from… much healthier approach.

Wine is my favorite snack food

image.gif.05cc6f5cdea74516b1486b72b4820bce.gif

• Excited 1

34 minutes ago, Phil said:

Looks like another improvement on the 00z ECMWF.

I really like the trough late in the run.  Nearly 6000 heights over the Western GOA.  The thing I hated about the recent pattern was lack of GOA ridging which resulted in a lot of gloom.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

57 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Nice to see the upcoming heat event look more and more like an isolated spike on the ensembles.

2F8625DA-D572-416D-9A11-6107CA85FD81.png

We pretty much knew that was going to be the case.

• Weenie 3

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Ended up with a delightful 76/48 range here today.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9