December 2015 in the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

LOL

Oh and icy here solid coating on vehicles, shrubs, some on trees and powerlines, but fortunately road surfaces just wet. A few small patches on my front porch and driveway.

00z GFS: Very wet, then the jet suppresses, snow levels lower.. then ridging near 140-150 W, cold trough, some potential for amplification and colder solution after day 10.... tiny little baby infant steps

[Model Countdown]

Next up...............

00z ECMWF in 20 minutes

I've always maintained that he needs to start a chain of pizza joints. Tony Romo's. If that doesn't say pizza, I don't know what does.

Tony Roma's restaurants would probably sue.   Too close.  

http://tonyromas.com/

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Looks like all models are coming into agreement for much colder air to move into Alaska days 8-10, at least. Probably cool-ish, zonal flow for the PNW with some mountain snow.

Yeah, we need Alaska to turn cold again as well as Yukon/NWT and northern BC/AB... it has been very "mild" in those areas, at least at 850mb...

That's a steak house, though. Plus, Tony Romo is his actual name and he's famous. I think he'd be free and clear. Unless Dewey was his attorney, then of course he'd be screwed.

All I know is that I just got real hungry looking at their web site.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

That's a steak house, though. Plus, Tony Romo is his actual name and he's famous. I think he'd be free and clear. Unless Dewey was his attorney, then of course he'd be screwed.

I think it is too close tho, even if it's his name. When you apply for a business licence dont you have to give 3 names for that reason?

2013/2014 Winter season

Coldest Low: 14 F December 7th

Coldest High: 27.3 F December 7th

Coldest Wind chill: 5 F December 7th

Lowest Dew Point: -2.2 F December 6th

Days below freezing: 5

Total Snowfall: 11 inches

Most snowfall in a Day: 8 inches

Days With Snow: 3

I am really liking the model trends right now.  Very suppressed jet after the big fire hose next week.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Yeah, we need Alaska to turn cold again as well as Yukon/NWT and northern BC/AB... it has been very "mild" in those areas, at least at 850mb...

Yeah, I posted something earlier about how a warm December in AK during +ENSO is pretty much the kiss of death for PNW winters. A cold December doesn't guarantee good times ahead, but is historically correlated to much better odds at least.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

The GFS ensemble continues to slowly trend better.  The 0z has a number of members that drop 850s to -7 or below for Seattle.  The models are unquestionably onto something here.  Let's hope the good runs continue.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Yeah, I posted something earlier about how a warm December in AK during +ENSO is pretty much the kiss of death for PNW winters. A cold December doesn't guarantee good times ahead, but is historically correlated to much better odds at least.

Yeah...if we get the big western trough eastern ridge regime being advertised we need some cold air to tap into.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

00z eye candy alert. It's not quite as pretty as the 06z, but it's still colder than the cold snap we just went through.

It's certainly on the right track.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

One thing is even more sure. Your peaks get peakier and your valleys valleyier every year. Roll with it and go balls deep! Six foot drifts and windchill warnings! Let's do it!!!

I'm actually on more of an even keel than I used to be.  I'm pretty excited to see a realistic shot at something after the ridiculous warmth we have recently experienced.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Well that's a first

"A special 60-hour WRF-GFS run for the 36, 12, and 4-km domains was run today for the 2015120118 run to support the OLYMPEX field campaign."

No clue what the OLYMPEX field campaign is.

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/mm5rt/data/2015120118/extendedgfsinit.html

http://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2015/10/olympex-starts-next-month.html?m=1

• Like 1

The gorge is impressive as always. I'm kind of shocked at how close the entire PDX metro area came to a serious widespread ice storm tonight. The whole metro is sitting between 32-34F with moderate to heavy precip. I did encounter several areas with ice forming on cars and road signs but the roads were just wet. If this were late December or January that would have been enough of a difference for something quite a bit more severe. 

If the air aloft were even modestly cool, we could have had a pretty nice widespread snow storm :). I can keep dreaming I guess. 

Just curious, but if this was interpreted to show signs of anti-El Nino, then how did we end up with the greatest El Nino since 98'? I'm just trying to understand. Also, how could one assume a warm(er) December is in store after a rather lengthy cold snap in late November? From what I understand, its tied to MJO. 

Trying to educate myself here so I can move towards reading and interpreting models and information on my own. 

I was speaking of the atmosphere not the ENSO SST's.  The atmosphere was atypical of El Nino last month and the result was a reasonably cold month.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The gorge is impressive as always. I'm kind of shocked at how close the entire PDX metro area came to a serious widespread ice storm tonight. The whole metro is sitting between 32-34F with moderate to heavy precip. I did encounter several areas with ice forming on cars and road signs but the roads were just wet. If this were late December or January that would have been enough of a difference for something quite a bit more severe. 

If the air aloft were even modestly cool, we could have had a pretty nice widespread snow storm :). I can keep dreaming I guess. 

Yeah, PDX is down to 34 on the hour. I don't think anyone saw them getting that low this evening. 

Except for Dewey, of course.

• Like 1

Perhaps not as exciting as the potential for cold, but we need to keep an eye on the low pressure system for Thursday, especially Portland to Salem. Both the 00z GEM/EURO have latched onto a solution bringing a nice compact 985mb low scooting north just off the Oregon Coast. Looks like a strong PDX-EUG gradient of 8-10mb may setup. We're within 48 hours of this possibility, so seeing both models nearly in-step with each other is something that can't be ignored. The GFS/WRF may catch onto this by 12z tomorrow. IF so, this would be a quick-hitting south wind event/storm.

Yeah, PDX is down to 34 on the hour. I don't think anyone saw them getting that low this evening. 

Except for Dewey, of course.

The models once again underestimated the power of the Gorge, Columbia Basin cold pool, and wet bulb cooling. Everything is caked in ice here except for the road surfaces. I just heard a transformer explode 2 minutes ago also.

Just did another ice check and I've got more than .10" accumulation now. I can clearly see that all the trees are heavily coated in ice and are now sagging. Powerlines are coated with icicles hanging off of them. With east winds gusting over 30mph I'm starting to get a little concerned about tree damage and maybe we see more power outages east of I-205. Hopefully not.

Deep trough... and just no real cold air anywhere.     Skiing should be good.

http://old.ecmwf.int/products/forecasts/d/getchart/catalog/products/forecasts/medium/deterministic/msl_uv850_z500!Geopotential%20500%20hPa%20and%20Temperature%20at%20850%20hPa!240!North%20America!pop!od!oper!public_plots!2015120200!!chart.gif

00z ECMWF Day 10 is looking interesting!

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/ecmwf/2015120200/ecmwf_z500a_namer_11.png

Not if you look at the map above and see the 850mb temps. Great 500mb pattern being wasted with no cold air available.

Not if you look at the map above and see the 850mb temps. Great 500mb pattern being wasted with no cold air available.

There'd be plenty of cold available if that gargantuan PV wasn't snorting it all.

Things are all haywire in Spokane. Surface themps have been well below freezing for over a week now and it snowed last night and every flake stuck like glue to whatever it landed on. 

28 degrees & 1" of new snow at my house this morning. Just flurries now. Local news lady (Krem2 Katie Boer, whoo she's hot!) is putting allot of emphasis on the next system headed our way. That system is expected to produce rain for Spokane, which probably means rain/mix for me here @ 2,375 elevation....

Things are all haywire in Spokane. Surface themps have been well below freezing for over a week now and it snowed last night and every flake stuck like glue to whatever it landed on. 

28 degrees & 1" of new snow at my house this morning. Just flurries now. Local news lady (Krem2 Katie Boer, whoo she's hot!) is putting allot of emphasis on the next system headed our way. That system is expected to produce rain for Spokane, which probably means rain/mix for me here @ 2,375 elevation....

I don't think its really haywire... this is pretty normal out there for the winter season.

Glad someone brought this up. Fairly typical of El Nino around its peak... Arctic air bottled up, regardless of 500 mb pattern.

I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being a near nation-wide green Christmas. The Arctic Oscillation Index is likely going to stay positive for the rest of the month, meaning the arctic air is not going to come down.

I think the only hope for most of the country is modified air getting trapped. A thread-the-needle type event. Basically, Christmas luck, because it's not going to be easy.

I'm a little disappointed, to be honest. I miss white Christmases. However, let's just hope that February delivers (as it can during El Nino). Also, let's see if a strong La Nina follows... but this is not a sure thing--look at 82-83.