12/26 - 12/29 Potential Wintry & Wet Winter Storm

Tom

This inching towards the SE might be in response to the intense convection. Convection has a tendency to push or pull the baroclinic zone farther south than guidance.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

This pattern bleeds a big snow event for those that suffered record monthly precip (rain) in just 36 hours 2 weeks ago. Suffer enough, and you too will see heavy snow after +RA in this pattern. Better chances in S.WI and CHI area as the central west plains (NE) looks to dry out and cool down as winter moves East.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

This is certainly a very dynamic storm.

Not sure about accuracy because this station is having issues with missing data, but Clovis New Mexico is reporting thundersnow and a ridiculous wind gust of 82 mph. 

http://w1.weather.gov/obhistory/KCVN.html

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

GGEM painting 23 inches of snow in eastern Iowa at 10:1 ratios. That would be 2.3 IN QPF it's showing and over 1.4-1.5 QPF in S. WI. That's insane. 

It's interesting that the GGEM is showing significantly more QPF then any model in the cold sector. With a storm this dynamic you have to take in account there will likely be convective snow banding which may produce some of these heavier totals. I think offices will begin to forecast this once there is more certainty where exactly the heaviest banding will occur.

Euro is caving. You don't see it move that much late in the game-- when the GFS held it's own.-- without something being amiss.  Just like it did in the NOV storm. (Euro busted big time about this time frame out ) Highest snow totals will run along I-35 more then they will I-29.

• Like 1

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I can't believe how little agreement there is amongst the models. Euro just won't budge. It did shift a bit east but kept the heaviest snow much further west than the other global models

Yeah it's pretty pathetic

Wonder what NWS offices do. Wait til 12z tomorrow and hope things get in better agreement ?

Euro is caving. You don't see it move that much late in the game-- when the GFS held it's own.-- without something being amiss.  Just like it did in the NOV storm. (Euro busted big time about this time frame out ) Highest snow totals will run along I-35 more then they will I-29.

It barely moved at all with the main snow band (and still tracks through E Iowa/C Wisconsin).  It hasn't caved yet, but I think it likely will.