January 2016 in the PNW

crf450ish

I think in all fairness, you being on the east coast and having a fascination with telling us constantly it isn't going to snow with metrics/indices etc 90% of readers don't understand probably puts a foul taste in many on here's mouths.

Push out the most knowledgeable poster we have just because he doesn't live in the PNW and you don't understand him? Sounds like a stupid thing to do

• Like 2

Push out the most knowledgeable poster we have just because he doesn't live in the PNW and you don't understand him? Sounds like a stupid thing to do

Thanks for the kind words. I really appreciate it.

While I certainly wouldn't consider myself the most knowledgable poster here (especially when it comes to PNW weather/climate), I do the best that I can with the knowledge I have. :)

Take it easy bigmack, a lot worse has been said, and he isn't going anywhere. He basically agreed with my statement. I just think he would be much more effective, credible and more well recepted if he took adequate time to explain himself in a way more could understand. People then would give him more credit and he wouldn't put a bad taste in as many mouths.

All the knowledge in the world means nothing if it is not communicated in the correct manner.

Take it easy bigmack, a lot worse has been said, and he isn't going anywhere. He basically agreed with my statement. I just think he would be much more effective, credible and more well recepted if he took adequate time to explain himself in a way more could understand. People then would give him more credit and he wouldn't put a bad taste in as many mouths.

All the knowledge in the world means nothing if it is not communicated in the correct manner.

Because you don't understand it, does not mean it's not communicated correctly. Sometimes you can't explain everything in a perfectly clear manner. Not sure what you're getting at. Weather isn't 2+2=4
  • Like 1

Because you don't understand it, does not mean it's not communicated correctly. Sometimes you can't explain everything in a perfectly clear manner. Not sure what you're getting at. Weather isn't 2+2=4

It's really tough to explain the science of it thoroughly/in laymans terms without writing a novel in the process, haha.

It's really tough to explain the science of it thoroughly/in laymans terms without writing a novel in the process, haha.

I think there's a happy medium out there somewhere. I don't personally mind the ambiguity but you do post a lot of stuff in a mainly novice-occupied environment with some pretty sensational tag lines on occasion. Not sure if you're specifically looking for the inevitable questions about what it means, how it pertains to the PNW and such but you'd think you'd know your audience.

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

May I suggest that, instead of posting charts that most of us can't read and explaining them in terms most of us don't understand, you post something like:

"X indice is showing this. Thus, if it is correct, you guys could be seeing X weather pattern in your region in X time frame."

That doesn't seem like it would be very hard. Oftentimes the smartest people are able to elucidate even the most complicated thoughts. See Einstein's early mathematical proof of the Pythagorean theorem.

• Like 3

May I suggest that, instead of posting charts that most of us can't read and explaining them in terms most of us don't understand, you post something like:

"X indice is showing this. Thus, if it is correct, you guys could be seeing X weather pattern in your region in X time frame."

That doesn't seem like it would be very hard. Oftentimes the smartest people are able to elucidate even the most complicated thoughts. See Einstein's early mathematical proof of the Pythagorean theorem.

I'll do my best to heed this advice going forward.

• Like 1

I think in all fairness, you being on the east coast and having a fascination with telling us constantly it isn't going to snow with metrics/indices etc 90% of readers don't understand probably puts a foul taste in many on here's mouths.

In his defense, I don't think Phil is here to rain on people's parades, regardless of location. (Have I mentioned location bias is worse than anti-EPO bias?) To be fair, he has gone overboard with positivity for PNW chances once or twice.

Makes me wonder...if we had a poster here from the North Pole, would we assume he'd bring white Christmas's to all the good little weenies? 

• Like 2

A forum for the end of the world.

I'll do my best to heed this advice going forward.

I've been lurking around on this forum for about a year.  I've been a weather geek since I was knee high to a grasshopper, and even did an internship at the Weather Channel (back in the late '80's when they actually did the weather.)   I ultimately took a different career path, and had no idea these forums existed.  I have to admit I was quite intimidated when I started reading all of this NAM+ AO- stuff and realized I was not quite the weather geek I thought I was.

Though I have rarely been able to understand a majority of Phil's posts, they have still given me a lot of clues for things to go off and try to read up on, and I have many of his posts archived.  My work has kept me too busy so I have not had much free time, but I hope things will slow down soon so I can start doing more reading.

So as a novice weather geek, I appreciate the techical stuff, but would definitely benefit from any laymen's "what this means is...." or "this generally translates to 'X'....."  explanations that can be offered. 

• Like 2

I've been lurking around on this forum for about a year.  I've been a weather geek since I was knee high to a grasshopper, and even did an internship at the Weather Channel (back in the late '80's when they actually did the weather.)   I ultimately took a different career path, and had no idea these forums existed.  I have to admit I was quite intimidated when I started reading all of this NAM+ AO- stuff and realized I was not quite the weather geek I thought I was.

Though I have rarely been able to understand a majority of Phil's posts, they have still given me a lot of clues for things to go off and try to read up on, and I have many of his posts archived.  My work has kept me too busy so I have not had much free time, but I hope things will slow down soon so I can start doing more reading.

So as a novice weather geek, I appreciate the techical stuff, but would definitely benefit from any laymen's "what this means is...." or "this generally translates to 'X'....."  explanations that can be offered. 

Internship at the Weather Channel... very cool!   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I've been lurking around on this forum for about a year. I've been a weather geek since I was knee high to a grasshopper, and even did an internship at the Weather Channel (back in the late '80's when they actually did the weather.) I ultimately took a different career path, and had no idea these forums existed. I have to admit I was quite intimidated when I started reading all of this NAM+ AO- stuff and realized I was not quite the weather geek I thought I was.

Though I have rarely been able to understand a majority of Phil's posts, they have still given me a lot of clues for things to go off and try to read up on, and I have many of his posts archived. My work has kept me too busy so I have not had much free time, but I hope things will slow down soon so I can start doing more reading.

So as a novice weather geek, I appreciate the techical stuff, but would definitely benefit from any laymen's "what this means is...." or "this generally translates to 'X'....." explanations that can be offered.

I appriciate the heads up, thank you. I can be lazy and/or impatient at times, and do my best to avoid writing a novel when maybe I should look to do exactly that.

• Like 2

You'd HAVE to think the 00z models will finally pick up on the strong Arctic front just to our north...

The 00Z NAM shows the -3C line bearing down on the border by tomorrow morning.   And the -6C line plowing through central BC.  There is even a small area of -9C up in the Yukon at that time.    That is some brutal cold up there.   Hope it continues its southward trek!

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

The 00Z NAM shows the -3C line bearing down on the border by tomorrow morning.   And the -6C line plowing through central BC.  There is even a small area of -9C up in the Yukon at that time.    That is some brutal cold up there.   Hope it continues its southward trek!

Stop!  You are going to scare the children...

Haven't heard or seen this clown around in a while...

http://www.southerncaliforniaweatherforce.com/

"Major Pacific Storm EUGENE, a Category Five Pacific Storm" blah blah, blah blah blah, blah. You gotta love his long range pattern forecast.

LIKE Our Weather Alert Page!

Southern California Weather Force

26k likes

http://www.southerncaliforniaweatherforce.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/120915a.jpg

Holy moly at that block on the 00z GFS. Might as well throw common sense out the window over the next few weeks.

• Like 1

Arctic air literally propagating westward from the Hudson Bay into Alberta due to the amplitude of that -NAO.